What is the issue?
Without the appropriate audit/admin tools it’s virtually impossible to make any significant changes without breaking something.
Where are the gaps?
Here are some of the questions I’ve need to answer but couldn’t:
- Who uses which shared bookmarks?
- Who uses which shared dashboards?
- What variables are used in which segments?
- What variables are used in which dashboard reportlets?
- What variables are being used as breakdowns in reports?
- What variables are being used in which personal bookmarks/dashboards?
Here are some of the actions I’ve wanted to take but couldn’t:
- Prevent access to an eVar while continuing to collect data (so I can see who shouts about a broken report without losing the data)
- Prevent users from sharing bookmarks/dashboards
- Restrict access to existing shared bookmarks/dashboards
- Prevent users from creating segments
- Restrict access to some segments
For legacy reasons we have 4 different variables capturing external traffic source data in slightly different ways. I want to reduce this to 1 version of the truth but I have no way of knowing what I can remove without breaking something or which users I need to talk to about migrating to the new variable.
The scale of the problem….
I’ve got 80 users with accessing to:
- 100s of segments
- 100s of shared bookmarks
- 1000s of personal bookmarks
- 100s of shared dashboards with 1000s of reportlets
- 100s of personal dashboards with 1000s of reportlets
It’s too many users/reports to manually trawl through and I can’t rely on users to audit their own reports as many don’t know a prop from an eVar (nor would I expect them to).