• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Lightroom CC - prefers RAW to DNG?

Explorer ,
Nov 12, 2017 Nov 12, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A few months ago I migrated all my raw (NEF) to DNG. I left the originals too since I wanted to check they were ok

I'm now doing a CC migration - whilst it's only 72% complete (started a day ago for 600MB) I noticed peeking in it's storage location and I mostly see NEFs not DNG. Since the catalog would have presumably contained pointers to both DNG and RAW, does this mean CC decided to take the RAW only? So all my conversion was wasted? I guess the only option is to delete RAWs in classic, add to new catalog, migrate.. but that could then result in dups of everything. meanwhile CC has no way to migrate store to DNG... Definately seems to be some loose ends here?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Nov 13, 2017 Nov 13, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I might be wrong, but I think maybe some of us are getting a little overanxious trying to migrate everything to the cloud. I haven't done that and I don't intend to do that. I just tried uploading three DNG files to Lightroom CC. One of them was 20 MB, the other two were panorama images, each were about 135 MB each. The 20 MB DNG file uploaded to Lightroom CC (the new one) in the normal time. The two panorama files took about 90 seconds each to upload. But all three DNG files have been uploaded to Lightroom CC. And they were also placed in my designated folder on my hard drive, dated the date the images were taken. So I don't know what the issue is with your DNG files. Lightroom CC does seem to support DNG files. Just for your information, my DNG files were exported from Lightroom Classic CC and were generated from originals that were NEF files.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 13, 2017 Nov 13, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To Lightroom CC there is no difference between raw and dng files. They are simply a filetype it understands. It is possible that they were simply uploaded quicker as they are smaller than the original raw files in general.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 27, 2017 Nov 27, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

It's just very odd that the Adobe preferred format is DNG, I had files in DNG in lightroom, but being conservative hadn't deleted the corresponding NEFs, and now the 'local download' cache of my adobe cloud images are all back to NEFs again, which is not what I want.

In fact sync is still running after 3 weeks with 20 Mbps upload speed - at full speed it would take about 2.5 days only, so something is very wrong.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines