• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Applying Color to Open SVG Font

New Here ,
Nov 10, 2017 Nov 10, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just discovered Open SVG (Color Font) format. I purchased a hand-painted font in this format, but it seems I can only use it as a black font. There are no other options in the glyph menu either. Is there some trick I am not doing that would let me colorize an Open SVG font? What am I missing here? I feel dumb. I hate that.

Best,

Adam

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,
Nov 10, 2017 Nov 10, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If they did not include other glyphs then you will have to recolor using a nonsvg method

1. outline the font to shapes and use recolor artwork
  2. draw a rectangle on top, fill with a color, and choose a blending mode like color. Unfortunately you will need to mask unless your have a background color the will not be affected (eg.: black)

Screen Shot 2017-11-10 at 6.30.51 PM.png

Screen Shot 2017-11-10 at 6.31.48 PM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Nov 27, 2017 Nov 27, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hey Adam,

It all depends too on what version of Illustrator you are running. Color SVG fonts are only compatible with a few programs at the minute:

Illustrator CC 2018+ and Photoshop CC 2017+ are Adobe’s only apps that officially support & display color fonts (InDesign CC 2018 got unofficial support)

The black appearance that you are getting is an indicator that your version doesn't support the Open color svg format and it is using the simpler, backwards compatible format.

Hope that helps

Rian

Twinbrush

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines