• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Photoshop CC (2018)

Explorer ,
Nov 27, 2017 Nov 27, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Fighting with this problem for over a week.  When I try to open Photoshop CC (2018), the windows opens and the program starts loading until it gets to initializing.  Then I get at one point that the preferences file is invalid (file was deleted).  If I delete the "Adobe Photoshop CC 2018 Settings" folder either manually or by holding the Ctrl-Alt-Shift option (and choosing to delete the Photoshop Settings File) when clicking on the open application button, I then get the "could not initialize Photoshop because of a disk error".  I maintained CC (2017) installed during the update and it opens fine.  The only problem is with CC 2018.

I have tried to uninstall all Creative Cloud apps and then use the CC cleanup tool, then reinstall but I get the same problem.  I have restored a full drive image, all the way back from prior to CC 2018 being released-CC 2017 opens fine but when I update to CC 2018 via the application manager, all the same problems continue.

Ideas?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Nov 29, 2017 Nov 29, 2017

Try starting Windows in 'Safe Mode' This may narrow down what is going wrong as that mode loads a restricted number of drivers. Also how much free space is available on your hard disks and is it possible they are heavily fragmented?

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It seems you are on a Windows PC - which version?

Compare the system requirements: Photoshop system requirements and a bit down the page the graphics processor requirements.

Another cause of issues can be missing permissions or (admin mode) or network settings, such as for a NAS.

Fenja

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, I am using Windows 10 Pro, 64-bit, with 32gb of RAM and a EVGA GTX 1060 video card with 6gb of RAM on the card.  The PC is a i7-6800K @ 3.4Ghz.  I would think my system is more than capable. 

As for permissions, the program is installed on a 1TB SSD and when I open the program, I right click and run it as administrator. 

???

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 28, 2017 Nov 28, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't understand how starting with a fully functioning Photoshop CC (2017) and then upgrading to Photoshop CC (2018) {and choosing to leave the old version installed}, that 2017 stills opens and functions fine but 2018 will not open/initialize stating that I have a disc error.  What is the disc error and how can it be affecting 2018 but 2017 is fine?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It would be unusual but possibly there was corruption when you downloaded CC2018. I would suggest removing Photoshop CC2018 and then running the Creative Cloud Cleanup tool. Just uninstalling will not remove the preferences, the tool is necessary. Restart the PC

Now download the installer differently, get it from here, which is an Adobe affiliate site and quite safe.

All the New Adobe CC 2018 Direct Download Links, Now Available! | ProDesignTools

Reinstall and then find the photoshop.exe file almost certainly at

'C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Photoshop CC 2018'

Right click the executable and select 'Compatibility' under the properties. Put a check mark by 'Run this program as an Administrator' and press apply

4.png

You may find a UAC dialog box when you launch Photoshop from now on but that's normal if you have Universal Access Control set to maximum security. Now try launching Photoshop again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I actually have tried many of these actions previously.  However, I did just retry it.

I uninstalled all the CC items I could find via the control panel, this included Photoshop but also bridge, extension manager, lightroom CC and lightroom cc classic.  I then removed creative cloud application itself.

Rebooted.

Ran the Creative Cloud cleanup tool.

Rebooted.

Reinstalled Photoshop CC 2018 from the Prodesigns Tool website.  I had actually found this direct download yesterday and downloaded the installer.  Ran it today to reinstall Photoshop.

Set the compatibility check for run as an administrator.

Open Photoshop.  UAC window comes up as commented.  Goes through scan for presets.  Gets to initialize.  Hangs for a minute, then "Could not initialize Photoshop because of a disk error."

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Nov 29, 2017 Nov 29, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try starting Windows in 'Safe Mode' This may narrow down what is going wrong as that mode loads a restricted number of drivers. Also how much free space is available on your hard disks and is it possible they are heavily fragmented?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 30, 2017 Nov 30, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Although, I did defragment the hard drive, I don't think that was the issue.  It wasn't in that bad a state.  However, I did go in and disable all start-up programs.  Then on reboot, CC 2018 fully loaded.  I have been re-enabling desired startup programs and testing Photoshop for loading.  I may or may not find the culprit, as I may not choose to re-enable the program that was causing the issue.  Start-up programs seem to accumulate over time, many of which are not needed or desired.  I was not intending on doing continuous testing in order to just find the culprit.  I suppose that I was really surprised to find that, while installed at the same time, a startup program would inhibit CC 2018 but never had any issue with CC 2017.  CC 2017 never stopped loading and working fine.  I would not have considered two versions of the same program could be affected in such a way as by a third party conflict.  Anyway, thanks for the help, suggestions and support.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines