• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How Adobe Acrobat deals with PDFs that are write protected

New Here ,
Nov 29, 2017 Nov 29, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My workflow frequently involves downloading PDFs from my university's library site into a reference manager and then annotating them.

Many of the PDFs download with Read-only privileges. In fact, it is always possible to change the privilege to Read-Write. Preview allows one easily to unlock the file on Save without having to exit the program:

Dropbox - save locked file in preview.png 

Adobe Acrobat DC makes it much more difficult to save:

Dropbox - save locked file in adobe.png

I must save to a different folder, close the file, change the privilege to Read-Write, delete the old PDF from its place in the reference manager, re-import it under the right entry there, and then reopen the PDF file.

Does Mac OS make it possible for you to allow users to change the privilege from within Adobe? If so, this would be a significant improvement.

TOPICS
General troubleshooting

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Nov 29, 2017 Nov 29, 2017

File permissions are outside of  Acrobat's capabilities.  The permission changes needs to be done either on the remote library, or at download time before it is viewed.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

File permissions are outside of  Acrobat's capabilities.  The permission changes needs to be done either on the remote library, or at download time before it is viewed.

Thom Parker - Software Developer at PDFScripting
Use the Acrobat JavaScript Reference early and often

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Too bad, but I'm not very surprised. Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines