• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Would like communities help (not computer or adobe related)

Engaged ,
Oct 25, 2017 Oct 25, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I love plants but blimey, I'm woefully ignorant of their names. Viewing these pictures can anyone place names to the plants. Would be much obliged if you could. Thanks. Oh yea, and please don't say "grass" or "tree" as I'm not that dumb.

DSC00003.jpgDSC00001.jpgDSC00004.jpg

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Engaged , Oct 25, 2017 Oct 25, 2017

Thanks Kat, thanks Nancy. A friend of mine saw the pictures and agreed with both your responses. She was also able to name the little plant left of the Philodendron as a "Mother In-law's Tongue" and also the plant with the Philodendron as possibly "Purslane" but she wasn't to sure. Anyway thank you both for your help I can sleep peacefully now.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The 3rd (i.e. last one) is bougainvillea. The second one is a common tropical vine that is super common but the name alludes me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

#3 Bougainvillea.  The bright;y colored bracts are not really flowers but leaves. The flowers are inside the bracts.  Watch out for thorns when pruning.

#2 Philodendron.  A very common leafy vine houseplant.  If properly cared for it can thrive for decades.

#1 Might be a Dracena.  There are many different types of dracenas.  

Nancy O'Shea— Product User, Community Expert & Moderator
Alt-Web Design & Publishing ~ Web : Print : Graphics : Media

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Kat, thanks Nancy. A friend of mine saw the pictures and agreed with both your responses. She was also able to name the little plant left of the Philodendron as a "Mother In-law's Tongue" and also the plant with the Philodendron as possibly "Purslane" but she wasn't to sure. Anyway thank you both for your help I can sleep peacefully now.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The clover leaf shaped ground cover next to your dracena in #1 looks like oxalis.   In march, you sometimes see it sold in stores as a "shamrock" plant. 

Mother-in-law tongue or snake plant is a very fast spreading succulent requiring almost no care.   I prefer to keep that one in pots because it will take over your garden.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 26, 2017 Oct 26, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The PlantNet app was made for you, just shoot the plant and it will give you the answer: PlantNet Plant Identification - Android Apps on Google Play

It's a kind of Shazam, but it recognizes plants.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thx JR. I had no idea that this was out there. Never crossed my mind to even look for it. What'll they think up next...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

JR - thanks for posting that! It's tres cool.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Public call:

I'm still waiting for a Shazam-like that recognizes the songs of birds.

Priere.gif

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Oct 28, 2017 Oct 28, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, Cactus Cowboy, and everyone,
I'm a plant lover, too.

Yes. Nancy, we have both Dracena Fragrans and Heartleaf Philodendron that are decades old, and thriving.

1. Dracena Fragrans

2. Heartleaf Philodendron

3. Bougainvillea

I hope this is helpful to you Cactus Cowboy.

JR, the PlantNet app sounds great!

Have a great day everyone!

Best regards,

Cherlita

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 29, 2017 Oct 29, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Never mind what they are called.  Can you smoke it?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Nov 29, 2017 Nov 29, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What kind of grass is this? I think it's St. Augustine but then again it could be Johnson grass...I just don't know. I know that it has runners and they have nodes that sprout the blades and roots from. Anyone have any idea?

IMG_0001.png

IMG_0002.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's called Kukua but I've always called it couch grass.  It's  very common in California and Arizona  because it's hardy, drought tolerant and spreads outward from plugs almost like a vine.    Golfers hate Kukua grass because it grabs the club and makes accurate short shots to the green almost impossible to hit.  

EDIT:  I forgot to mention Kikuyu or Kukua grass is highly invasive & considered a federal noxious weed.  Its sale is prohibited in most US States except Arizona, Hawaii and certain counties in California.  And no, Trevor, it's not something you would want to smoke.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you Nancy, hey you're pretty good at this what did you do study up on all this stuff? Lucky me if you did.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm a plant person.  I've been growing things since I was a little kid.

At one time, I had a fantastic avocado tree  that I cultivated from 2 pits in a glass of water.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I - like Nancy - am a plant person. It is what keeps me sane and connected in many ways. A gardener of wild plants, edible plants, bee attracting plants, hummingbird plants and any excuse to dig in the dirt. Do not have a mind for names so this causes confusion when talking to other plant persons but show me a picture and I can tell you the growing conditions, etc...

Joy in the green and growing things! It's in the gene as I am a farmer's daughter.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Okay, Nancy, I've got one for you. Most likely this is some type of sage, but if so what type is it? Or is it even a sage?

Image may contain: plant, flower, outdoor and nature

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry I can't help you name this plant Chuck, I'm anxious to find out what it is too. BTW, like that picture you took of it. Nice bright color and sharp as a tack what camera did you use? Hey Nancy, you sure weren't kidding about that bougainvillea plant and it's thorns they're huge in some spots and hidden by the leaves; got stuck by one and it hurt and itched the whole day. It must leave some kind of poison in the wound. I put some gloves on after that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No great camera, just my Galaxy S8 cell phone. Yea, those bougainvilleas have big sharp thorns! I just planted one along with some nice thorny berry vines. Going to be fun come pruning time! Made some trellises, today, to attempt to keep them in control.

Image may contain: plant and outdoor

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey that's neat I need to put one of those together as well. Man, that Galaxy S8 sure has a nice camera. As powerful as phones are becoming particularly their cameras I don't think that they will be the downfall of tradition cameras or maybe they will I don't know what do you think?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 30, 2017 Nov 30, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't think they'll take the place of regular cameras, but there are sure taking a chunk out of the market. I use mine all the time, except when I need to do something that it just can't handle. They are amazing though!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Chuck,

Does the flower emit any resin or fragrance?  Do bees like it?  I'm pretty sure it's not sage.

It looks more like a coastal succulent to me.  But I have no idea which one. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm not sure if the flower itself emits anything, but the whole plant in general is very fragrant. I think bees like it. It was growing behind my house, but they just cleared the land for fire prevention. It is starting to come back though. Maybe when it grows back enough, I'll take a sample over to Cal Poly's botany department. Here's a few more shots of it.

Image may contain: plant, flower, nature and outdoor

Image may contain: plant, outdoor and nature

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's probably Milkweed.  Butterflies and caterpillars like it a lot.

Do you have an Armstrong plant center near you?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't think so. There's one down in LA, close to where I used to live.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines