Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

MAJOR- 2018 InDesign and InCopy Error Code 14

Community Beginner ,
Oct 19, 2017 Oct 19, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello there good crew of Adobe!

I work at a magazine publisher and our team just updated to the latest 2018 Adobe CC releases, the new illustrator tools are wonderful by the way.

However we have hit a major snag. In the latest 2018 release of inDesign and inCopy someone currently has an inDesign document open, and someone tries to access the same document via inCopy document, they are given the Error Code 14 (Which claims the document is open elsewhere preventing access). Oddly enough though, if the team member opens the document with inCopy first then the other member can access the document with inDesign without the Error 14.

This is a new issue that was never present before until the 2018 release.

This is a major problem for us as we have a team of designers and editors constantly working on the same collection of inDesign files, and we have a major print date to hit.

I love your products and have been a member for years but I need help!

Thank you so much and all the best!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Nov 17, 2017 Nov 17, 2017

November 2017 (13.0.1) release of InDesign CC has just become available via the Creative Cloud Desktop application.

Please update InDesign and see if the issue is resolved.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee ,
Oct 24, 2017 Oct 24, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you on Win or Mac? Which OS version?

Are you still facing this problem?

Could you show us a screenshot of the problem?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 24, 2017 Oct 24, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello there Ravi!

Unfortunately the problem still persists.

My system is running Mac OS Sierra, and it is a iMac late 2015 model with 32gb of ram.

On the positive I spoke with an Adobe representative and we narrowed down the issue further.

The issue occurs while opening files from the server and not while being opened locally. So if opened I opened a file from my desktop and inDesign and inCopy the file will open fine. However, if I were to try to open this same file on the server it will pop-up with the following error:

Screen Shot 2017-10-24 at 8.16.15 AM.png

And I can confirm that this is only present with the 2018 versions of inCopy and inDesign.

Alongside the Adobe representative I also created a new inDesign 2018 document and can confirm this error still occurs when the inDesign document was created with the latest version of inDesign.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 31, 2017 Oct 31, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having the same issue. Mac environment. InDesign/InCopy workflow with random error code 14. Copying the file off and back to the server seems to fix it but that is not ideal for remote workers.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 01, 2017 Nov 01, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Okay. I think we found the problem and a work around better than copying files to desktops etc.

When you save an ID 2018 file in High Sierra make sure you do NOT have the "Always save preview images with Documents" check box checked in the save dialogue. If that is unchecked Sierra users will be able to open the files on a network with out error code 14.

However this seem like an issue Apple and Adobe need to work out.

Do Not check save previews.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unfortunately on our end we were still unable to get our inDesign 2018 documents to work even with the preview checkbox set and then saved again.

However, I am not discounting that your findings may definitely be related to our current issues.

Overall amazing find Quesinberry!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for reporting this issue.

We are looking into it & will revert shortly.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 07, 2017 Nov 07, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Good afternoon;

I have the same problem between Indesign and Incopy error 14 with documents hosted on the server, the overall environment (Mac, Sierra 10.12.6).

when will we have a solution?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 14, 2018 Feb 14, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for your post @Quesinberry, this actually works.

We now must figure it out how to remove this check out via plugin, since this is how we are saving and opening pages, between ID & IC.

In the meantime we are using a Leopard server as a file server to avoid this error.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'll add a bit more information.

I tested out both the 2018 and 2017 versions of inDesign and inCopy and found that the error does not pop-up if you open the document with the 2017 inDesign while using the 2018 inCopy.

So my theory after discovering the above means it could be an issue within 2018 inDesign and not 2018 inCopy.

All the best Ravi and the rest of the Adobe team and I hope the above information helped!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes. We're having the same issue over an ethernet network. error code: 14.

All macs mixed OS between Sierra and High Sierra.

When High Sierra users save an inDesign file to the server it becomes unusable over the network until copied to the Sierra users desktop and then copied back.

This causing severe headaches for our production team and work flow. Clearly ID 2018 is not compatible with High Sierra.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi CmdVolken,

Thanks for reporting the issue. Please share a sample indd file with me so that I can reproduce the issue at my end.

You can simply mail the file to me at monsingh@adobe.com

Also, please verify if your issue is same as mentioned at and feel free to vote it.

Opening file in Adobe InDesign CC 2018 prevents same file from opening in InCopy CC 2018 – Adobe InD...

Thanks and Regards

Monica

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 06, 2017 Nov 06, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

HI,

Sorry I cannot upload any files to Adobe due to NDA and confidentiality agreements with my clients.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 06, 2017 Nov 06, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We updated to 2018 Indesign and Incopy Friday and are also having the same issue. We are running El Capitan. Will emailing the file really recreate the problem? The problem seems to lie in the interaction between the Incopy and Indesign users linked by a server. We can send you a file, if you think it's a feasible test.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 08, 2017 Nov 08, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Doing a cursory check-up for an update.

How goes the road to fixing the issue good crew at Adobe?

All the best!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Any update on this? We had a lot of headaches this week. I'm still willing to send a document for trouble-shooting. I never heard back.

Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you all!! We have received few documents and we are able to reproduce this issue in-house. Will be working on it.

Regards

Monica

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 09, 2017 Nov 09, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You rock Monica!

Thanks again for all your help!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 13, 2017 Nov 13, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am also seeing this issue since 2018. Separate users cannot open the same .indd file in InDesign and InCopy.

Would it be possible to get an update if there has been any progress on rolling out a fix?

Thanks.

Screen Shot 2017-11-13 at 10.49.51.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 13, 2017 Nov 13, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This error code 14 business has seriously hampered our production department. Same issues of a user opening and closing a file will cause other users to get the error 14 message.

I'll be watching this forum for updates.

For what it's worth, one work around that has been fairly useful for us is to log on to the server (Mac Server 5.2) and propagate the permissions on the effected files and folders. This will sometimes free up the files again. Of course the next person to use them will also usually lock them back down.

Hoping for a solution soon.

OS 10.13.1

Indesign 13.0

3.2 GHz Intel Core i5

16 GB 1867 MHz DDR3

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 16, 2017 Nov 16, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for posting this question! We're having the same trouble after upgrading to the 2018 version of both InDesign and InCopy. Our copy editors cannot work simultaneously in InCopy if the designers have the InDesign file open and are getting the Error -14 prompt. In addition to absolute madness coming from both teams, we've lost hours of work because of this programming flaw. NOTE TO ADOBE: Most of us still prefer to own and maintain our own file servers, so please include support for a file server in your testing before releasing further upgrades. We've actually had a conversation with your CEO about this last year (2016). After reading a few more responses in this thread, we have downgraded to InDesign 2017 in an effort to thwart this. All files reside on a Mac server and our OS is El Capitan, so, for us at least, this is not related to High Sierra's undesirable interactions with InDesign 2018. We will let you know if the 2017 downgrade is effective.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Nov 17, 2017 Nov 17, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

November 2017 (13.0.1) release of InDesign CC has just become available via the Creative Cloud Desktop application.

Please update InDesign and see if the issue is resolved.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 26, 2017 Nov 26, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Ravi, that update hasn't fixed the problem unfortunately. Still has the same 'Error Code 14' window pop up.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Nov 26, 2017 Nov 26, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Which OS?

If you are on Mac 10.12, then with the update to 13.0.1 version of InDesign, Error Code 14 should no longer be there.

If you are on Mac 10.13, then with the update to 13.0.1 version of InDesign, the problem (Error Code 14) should no longer happen but you would see another problem - "the file is already open by another user". This problem has been reported to Apple and we are awaiting a fix.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 27, 2017 Nov 27, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am running Mac 10.12.3, I updated the InDesign yesterday to 13.0.1 and the issue still persists.

I can only open a InCopy file if the document is closed (which rules out the purpose of InCopy) and still get error code 14 when a team member has it open.

Screen Shot 2017-11-27 at 12.19.06.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines