• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Do you still show your old Flash work on your website?

Advocate ,
Dec 01, 2017 Dec 01, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am thinking of showing the Flash work I have done in years passed on my new website. It can be sort of a "tribute to Flash" section.

Does anyone here still show their old Flash work on their portfolio website?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Dec 02, 2017 Dec 02, 2017

Old Flash Player based work is absolutely still relevant in a portfolio or as a showcase. I would take the approach of having a screenshot or even a video demonstration of the project - with a link to the SWF. As Nancy mentions - people will increasingly not be able to view the SWF itself on a web browser - but that doesn't mean your work has no value.

Also - Windows 10 users can absolutely get Flash Player in all the ways they normally do - Windows Updates only applies to Microsoft browsers like

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i do, but i also have a mobile website for non-swf capable browsers (that obviously does not display any swf's):  http://www.kglad.com

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No.  For all practical purposes, Flash is dead.  The leading browsers are doing everything possible to keep you from installing and using Flash Player in the browser.

Windows 10 users cannot even get Flash player except from Windows updates.   Chrome has it's own native Flash player now.  And Safari disables Flash by default.

Officially Flash Player will end in 2020.  But unofficially, it's already happening.

Nancy O'Shea— Product User, Community Expert & Moderator
Alt-Web Design & Publishing ~ Web : Print : Graphics : Media

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,
Dec 04, 2017 Dec 04, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's so sad that Flash is dead. 

I wonder if showing old high end Flash work is a way to let potential clients see the depth of my experience. But if they can't even play it anymore what's the use.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 02, 2017 Dec 02, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Old Flash Player based work is absolutely still relevant in a portfolio or as a showcase. I would take the approach of having a screenshot or even a video demonstration of the project - with a link to the SWF. As Nancy mentions - people will increasingly not be able to view the SWF itself on a web browser - but that doesn't mean your work has no value.

Also - Windows 10 users can absolutely get Flash Player in all the ways they normally do - Windows Updates only applies to Microsoft browsers like Edge or IE11. It is part of Chrome and you can install for FF and others.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Dec 02, 2017 Dec 02, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Flash SWF is Animate HTML without filters 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I still have to come up to speed with Animate HTML.  Can I convert my old Flash SWF to work with the new Animate HTML?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can convert between .fla file types in Animate or even just copy and paste any assets and animations between document types. The one thing that doesn't convert on its own is any code.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,
Dec 05, 2017 Dec 05, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Will the embedded movie clips be an issue? I know embedded movie clips will not work when I tried to export my .fla files to video. I know this is another avenue I am touching upon...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 05, 2017 Dec 05, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

HTM5 <video> with  MP4 files works in all browsers.  

<video width="320" height="240" controls>
<source src="movie.mp4" type="video/mp4">
</video>

Free Online Video Converter - File Formats avi, flv, mp4, mpg, swf, wmv, ogg, dv, mov, 3gp, mjpeg, g...

Nancy O'Shea— Product User, Community Expert & Moderator
Alt-Web Design & Publishing ~ Web : Print : Graphics : Media

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines