• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Lightroom Classic Painfully Slow

Explorer ,
Dec 02, 2017 Dec 02, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It appears I’m not the only one experiencing extreme slowness with Lightroom Classic.  Since upgrading, LR has become painfully slow in import and export.  I’ve also noticed that when in the Develop module, there is a delay in response on the image when using the various sliders in all groups.

I’m also getting a message stating that LR is causing a high CPU usage. I’m running LR on a Windows 10 pro machine with an Intel i7-6700K 4ghz processor, 2 M2 SSD drives, one as a scratch drive and 32 gb memory.

I’ve never had such a slow response on earlier versions of LR CC or stand alone.  What’s up? 

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

its terrible and i called yesterday regarding more glitches, spot tool showing i'm choosing somewhere else no wheres near where i am selecting, zoom in and out is going way out or way in, no inbetween, and taking 8x longer to import and export- now i tried calling to get a screen share and it says mon-fri only- not good-

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As an initial troubleshooting step, uncheck the option Preferences > Performance > Use Graphics Processor.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi John,

I have a Nvidea GTX 970 video card with 4gb VRAM.  Lightning fast with LR and PS CC up until the upgrade to LR Classic. Everything I've read says using the graphics processor should speed things up, especially with that card. I'll give it a try but it sure doesn't make sense that the GPU should slow down LR.

Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe is changing the GPU support code in every release. It may not be the GPU causing your issues, but historically it is a frequent culprit.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks. I give it a try and see what happens.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Dec 04, 2017 Dec 04, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It is NOT the graphics processor for me. I have tried disabling (which makes no sense) and it makes no difference at all either way. The performance has gotten worse with the new release, not better. I’ve invested heavily in Lightroom and don’t have any intentions of switching at this point but Adobe has made mynuse of LR much less enjoyable than it has been in the past.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Dec 04, 2017 Dec 04, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe does indeed continue to have serious issues with performance for some users.

After disabling the GPU, the next troubleshooting step is to make sure your graphics driver is up-to-date. On Windows, visit the manufacturer's Web site directly, and on Mac, make sure you running the most recent version of MacOS: Adobe Lightroom GPU Troubleshooting and FAQ .

"disabling (which makes no sense)"

There are a number of reasons why disabling the GPU is the first troubleshooting step.  There are many, many buggy graphics drivers out there. Even on bug-free drivers, LR doesn't always run well.  On lower-resolution displays, the GPU can actually slow things down (due to inherent hardware issues).  And LR still has bugs in its use of the GPU.   See here for more details: http://www.lightroomqueen.com/lightroom-performance-debunking-myths/

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 07, 2017 Dec 07, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK. After disabling the GPU accelerator, there was no change what so ever.  I'm still getting High CPU Usage messages about LR Classic which I never got before and with the machine I built, there should be no issue what-so-ever as far as processor or SSD drive speed.  This is completely an Adobe issue that needs to be addressed NOW. 

Is there a way to roll back to LR 6 CC???? and get rid of this upgrade/downgrade???

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 08, 2017 Dec 08, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ur right. It did nothing to help speed it up for me either. I custom built my machine and have had zero issues till this new updates new versions or whatever they r called came out.

Amanda Horner

Edited by moderator: Delete personal data

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 27, 2017 Dec 27, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LR Classic is frustratingly slow. It is taking longer and longer every day to do simple tasks like culling images or small adjustments.

In this industry, time is money. I can't charge my clients more, because my tools take so long to do their job.

We shoot raw, because it allows us to improve our quality. But his is costing us in time. I'm now shooting in JPG again because somehow Canon can adjust the raw file with sharpness, saturation, etc and export to jpg in a fraction of a second on a ARM based low power CPU while Adobe can't even render a single adjustment in less than a second on a high end PC.

Seriously considering other alternatives at the moment.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 05, 2018 Jun 05, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, I'm a MAC user and I decided to deactivate the use of the gpu processor and use smart previews and now it is faster, specially when using filters, brush mask and cropping, before I did this my lightroom was painfully slow, every time I tried to develop a picture and work with filters and brushes it would get stuck and have to wait for several minutes for it to react, now is better, is not perfect but it is way better.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Feb 05, 2019 Feb 05, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i have the same problem with LR 8 classic. it's horrible.

i noticed that this thing never even uses more than 30% of the CPU and less than 50% of the memory.

i changed the computer, added more RAM, bought nvme drives, and this thing still works the same. it doesn't take any advantage of the hardware. LR 8 is so awful that i can't even drag and drop images when it gets slow. LR is reaching a point that start to be impossible to use for work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 21, 2020 Jun 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

and there is still no actual fixes to this continued problem.... 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines