Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Is it OK to post photo manipulations here

Oct 14, 2017 Oct 14, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just wondering, I know it's mainly a PS help forum but is it OK to post photo manipulations here, just like some feed back on something I created

It's a bit weird, kinda surreal

Images used

images-used.jpg

Result

box-room1.jpg

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,
Oct 15, 2017 Oct 15, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don’t think comments/advice on images is the primary focus of this Forum but I don’t think it’s wholly illegitimate if one is prepared to accept the commentary.

In this case I would recommend that you pay additional attention to the

• the »entry-points« of the chain in the ceiling

• the shadows of the sitting person and the bovine

Also I think the »brick-cuboid«-image itself is not ideal as it seems to feature noticeable repetition.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And not knowing how accomplished a Photoshop user you are I’d like to add a question on the point of technique (which I think is usually more the focus of attention here):

Did you employ a prudently non-destructive approach and utilise Smart Objects (for all the individual picture-elements) and Adjustment Layers?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I rather like this composite. It is reminiscent of an Alice in Wonderland world with shades of a Clockwork Orange and is imaginative. You might like to apply a B/W adjustment layer as a few of the elements don't quite blend properly and this shows up much more clearly with a temporary B/W layer. The masking is clean , the bricks are a little weird as they are gigantic at the back and top but half as small at the sides, but in a surreal world I'm not sure that really matters.

Personally I like to see what people achieve here, you can post on Behance but that's not for critique and this sort of thing stimulates dialog. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 02, 2017 Dec 02, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We should have an area to show your work.  The Lounge perhaps?  

BTW guys.  I know Ged from Photoshop Gurus.  He knows his stuff, so we should do our best to get him posting here regulalrly

Great composite Ged.  We are used to seeing stranded cows here. 

https://img.purch.com/w/660/aHR0cDovL3d3dy5saXZlc2NpZW5jZS5jb20vaW1hZ2VzL2kvMDAwLzA4Ny81OTIvb3JpZ2luYWwvbnotZWFydGhxdWFrZS1jb3dzLWFwLXZpZGVvLmpwZWc=

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Am I imagining things Trevor, but didn't you post that picture after the earthquake? I seem to remember thinking those cows will need to be airlifted by helicopter lol Now I feel really dumb-but with me that doesn't take much. I really wish people like Ged would come here as creatives don't seem to post on the forum as much as they should. I just love seeing peoples work and don't think it's showing off to show how good you are and expert advice on masking and compositing should always be welcome.

Hope life in Kiwi land is going well.

Terri

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

I'm Ged

I've been a member here for a few years but never really participated much in the forum until Trevor found me from PSG, so hopefully you'll all welcome me on board

I agree with Trevor about this bit "We should have an area to show your work.  The Lounge perhaps?"

OK here's some of my other photo manipulations

Abstract-4.jpg

book3.jpg

book-scenefinal.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Dec 03, 2017 Dec 03, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I really like the way you use highly saturated color. There is a Peter Jackson Movie called the Lovely Bones that is full of effects shots using the oversaturation technique and looks simply amazing-take a look at it when next on a TV near you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, Terri - the first one isn't really oversaturation, I just happened to have a polarizer on the lens, with the sun behind me at exactly the right angle. That brings out color like nothing else.

Of course I'm not "against" manipulation and compositing, I do it all the time when I need to. But I like shots that surprise me, and reality often does that more than anything I can think up myself

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Terri, that's a Movie I have to look out for

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi
Terri as well as checking with a black and White Adjustment layer, there is another good technique when compositing which I picked up from our own ACP Jesus Ramirez. That is to create a saturation map.

To do that

1. Add a selective color adjustment layer above the composite layers

2. Turn on absolute

2. Step through each color and turn the black slider to -100 (red example shown below)

3. Step through the White Neutral and Black and turn black slider to +100

This can be saved as a preset.

Now with this in place highly saturated areas shows as white and low saturated areas as black.

It is another good tool to help blend in a composite element and make it fit with it's surroundings

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for posting this Dave. I seem to remember being taught about saturation maps in the dim and distant past, your example though is a lot more succinct. I see Jesus has a video on this subject. I've put it below as he's a great teacher and always worth following, but the video is best viewed at Jesus PTC site so I've listed the URL. I know Jesus doesn't mind being linked to from here as I have done it before and anyone reading this might like to know most of his tutorials are free.

Compositing With Saturation Maps in Photoshop - Match Saturation

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Jesus always has good tips, Dave. I make saturation mask by duping a layer, desaturating it, then changing the blend mode to difference.Add a B&W adjustment layer to get rid of the color. I upped the values of the color on the B&W layer to match Jesus's results.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I second the request to have a location for people to share their work and learn by critique, both, about how well the work was accomplished - but more-so about learning efficient, powerful, non-destructive techniques to accomplish their wishes. I'm going to post that particular request in the lounge (or look to see if anyone else has)!

Adobe Community Expert / Adobe Certified Instructor

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Why composite? The weirdest things come together if you look for them. These are straight out of the camera:

dolwin_beta_2c.jpg

jøssingfjord_2B.jpgbygge_et_fjell.jpg

20130217-DSC_0311.jpg

20150709-DSC_6889.jpg

lofoten_003.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm not sure I'd like to live in those huts under the rockface, but it's a great picture. Also not many people know King Tutankamum has a pyramid in downtown Oslo-maybe it was his winter home. As for the birds -very 'Hitchcockian'

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ged, great concept art. If I may I'd put his lower legs over the frame so he look like he's emerging from it. Out of bounds type!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Cheers cyberwasp 

Good point, I actually had a version like that but it didn't just look right

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yea, the main focus of these forums is to help people with issues with their applications. They can post examples if they want or need help achieving a desired outcome. There are so many critique sites. It is nice to see what people are doing, as apposed to all the questions about PS crashing. @pete.green is in charge of the digital imaging forums, so it would be his decision to add a space for critique area.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines