Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Photoshop using less ram than allocated to it

New Here ,
Dec 03, 2017 Dec 03, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi!

Whenever I use PS, after it hits about 3200MB of memory usage I get "memory full" issues. This is even though I have 16GB of RAM, of which PS is set to use
10 385MB (Set in the preferances window in PS). I´ve scoured all around my computer and I only seem to have one .exe file for PS, which is located in the Program Files folder, indicating that it is indeed the 64bit version, as far as I can see at least. I´ve had this issue with both CC 2017 and 2018.

Does anyone know why this could be? I´ll be happy to provide more information as needed!

Summary: I have...

• 64 bit Windows 10
  • A total of 16GB of RAM available
  • PS set to use 10 385 MB of RAM
  • Tried to make sure I´m using 64 bit PS
  • Ran into memory issues once PS hits ~3200 MB of memory usage
  • Experienced the problem in both CC 2017 and 2018

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Dec 03, 2017 Dec 03, 2017

Memory in Photoshop isn't just RAM, it's also the scratch disk. Photoshop moves vast amounts of data, and only a small portion of it can be held in RAM, even if you have a lot of it. So Photoshop reserves a portion of your hard drive for temporary working storage. This is the scratch disk.

If you don't have a separate drive set up for scratch, your system drive is used. If it's about to fill up you get this message.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please describe in detail the “memory full” issues including the exact words of any message.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Memory in Photoshop isn't just RAM, it's also the scratch disk. Photoshop moves vast amounts of data, and only a small portion of it can be held in RAM, even if you have a lot of it. So Photoshop reserves a portion of your hard drive for temporary working storage. This is the scratch disk.

If you don't have a separate drive set up for scratch, your system drive is used. If it's about to fill up you get this message.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Cheers! That did it!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines