• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Resizing layers

New Here ,
Dec 03, 2017 Dec 03, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK, I'm not totally au fait with the terminology but I'm struggling with steam coming out of my ears at how counter intuitive this software is.

I have a blank background of which I simply wish to throw some collage pics on. However the images are all different sizes so when I drop them in I know I have to resize them.

However after realising how to get a scaling box around my layers I'm baffled by a UI that in some circumstances let's me link the height and width proportions and in others it displays a totally different UI with no obvious reasons what has been done different.

It's a joke, surely you allow for easy linking of proportions and have a standard UI for such resizing. I'm losing faith in Adobe software. Surely powerful software UI can still be kept uniform and work intuitively. This is basic stuff that I can do in other far less useful software but if you don't do the basics right it's no wonder I'm hitting a wall trying to get my head around the more advanced features.

PS needs rebuilding from the ground up to allow easy, user friendly, intuitive interfacing with the software. I'm trying to help my partner with the program and it's nigh on impossible when the same actions seem to produce different user interfaces at random times. There seems zero consistency in this product, if I wasn't so invested in it I'd seriously look elsewhere.

Fix your interfaces Adobe, from being unable to scale the program and its interface to fit the screen you are using, to being unable to get the same expected results from the same action this software is causing major headaches!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Dec 03, 2017 Dec 03, 2017

Hi Rachel:

Photoshop is a tough application to teach yourself. Devoting some time to basic training will work miracles in your ability to move comfortably through the application.

And while there are multiple ways to accomplish any task in Photoshop—so I have no idea exactly what you are doing—I teach my new users this technique for resizing:

1. Select the Move tool
  2. Disable Auto-Select Layer on the Options Bar
  3. Click on the Layer with the image you want to resize to make it active
  4. Edit > Free Transform (

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It more like you don't understand scaling Aspect Ratio cropping or populating collages with images.

Photo Collage Toolkit

Photoshop scripting is powerful and I believe this package demonstrates this here is a video showing a 5 image collage PSD template  being populated with images

The package includes four simple rules to follow when making Photo Collage Template PSD files so they will be compatible with my Photoshop scripts.

1. Size the photo collage templates for the print size you want - width, height and print DPI resolution.
  2. Photo collage templates must have a Photoshop background layer. The contents of this layer can be anything.
  3. Photo collage templates must have alpha channels named "Image 1", "Image 2", ... "Image n".
  4. Photo collage templates layers above the background layers must provide transparent areas to let the images that will be placed below them show through.

There are fifteen scripts in this package they provide the following functions:

1. HelpPhotoCollageToolkit.jsx - Online Help
  2. TestCollageTemplate.jsx - Used to test a Photo Collage Template while you are making it with Photoshop.
  3. CollageTemplateBuilder.jsx - Can build Templates compatible with this toolkit's scripts.
  4. LayerToAlphaChan.jsx - Used to convert a Prototype Image Layer stack into a template document.
  5. InteractivePopulateCollage.jsx - Used to interactively populate Any Photo Collage template. Offers most user control inserting pictures and text.
  6. ReplaceCollageImage.jsx - use to replace a populated collage image Smart Object layer with an other image correctly resized and positioned.
  7. ChangeTextSize.jsx - This script can be used to change Image stamps text size when the size used by the populating did not work well.
  8. PopulateCollageTemplate.jsx - Used to Automatically populate a Photo Collage template and leave the populated copy open in Photoshop.
  9. BatchOneImageCollage.jsx - Used to Automatically Batch Populate Collage templates that only have one image inserted. The Collage or Image may be stamped with text.
  10. BatchMultiImageCollage.jsx - Used to Automatically Batch Populate Any Photo Collage template with images in a source image folder. Easier to use than the interactive script. Saved collages can be tweaked.
  11. PasteImageRoll.jsx - Paste Images into a document to be print on roll paper.
  12. BatchPicturePackage.jsx - Used to Automatically Batch Populate Any Photo Collage template with an image in a source image folder.  Images Rotates for best fit.
  13. BatchPicturePackageNoRotate.jsx - Used to Automatically Batch Populate Any Photo Collage template with an image in a source image folder.
  14. PopulatePicturePackage.jsx - Used to Automatically populate a Photo Collage template Fill with the same single image and leave the populated copy open in Photoshop.
  15. PCTpreferences.jsx - Edit This File to Customize Collage Populating scripts default setting and add your own Layer styles.

Documentation and Examples

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Rachel:

Photoshop is a tough application to teach yourself. Devoting some time to basic training will work miracles in your ability to move comfortably through the application.

And while there are multiple ways to accomplish any task in Photoshop—so I have no idea exactly what you are doing—I teach my new users this technique for resizing:

1. Select the Move tool
  2. Disable Auto-Select Layer on the Options Bar
  3. Click on the Layer with the image you want to resize to make it active
  4. Edit > Free Transform ( Ctrl+T/Cmd+T)
  5. Hold the Shift key to resize proportionately—release the mouse before the Shift
  6. If you now need to move the object, go ahead. Just don't place your cursor on the center of rotation icon in the dead center of the image—any place else within the transform box will work.
  7. If you succeeded with the resize/move, click the checkmark on the Options bar to commit the change
  8. If you didn't, click the Just Say No button (circle with a line) and try again

It sounds like you are looking for consistency and this one will do it for you. This video will help:

Transform objects in Photoshop

~Barb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't know which methods you've tried to scale proportionally, but you always have a choice to link the height and width.

Another way to constrain the proportions is to hold down Shift as you drag a CORNER handle of the scaling box. If you want to scale from the center, hold down Shift and Alt (windows) or Shift and Option (Mac).

I hope this helps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I stopped properly reading your post after a couple of paragraphs when you veered into »It’s a joke…«.

If you actually want to use the software and learn to do so efficiently please post screenshots including the pertinent panels (Options Bar, Layers, …) to illustrate what you mean by

in others it displays a totally different UI

Did you place the images as Smart Objects? (Which could be done by dragging several images onto the Canvas from Bridge for example.)

Are there fixed pre-existing layout principles or do you want to »eyeball« each individual image’s size and position?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

rachelcm74  wrote

It's a joke, surely you allow for easy linking of proportions and have a standard UI for such resizing. I'm losing faith in Adobe software. Surely powerful software UI can still be kept uniform and work intuitively. This is basic stuff that I can do in other far less useful software but if you don't do the basics right it's no wonder I'm hitting a wall trying to get my head around the more advanced features.

Of course Photoshop has these features and you show know that Photoshop is the gold standard. What do you think the resize constrain option is for or the function of the constrain modifier key (shift) function is for in transform.   Everything involved in image editing is not intuitive  full feature applications like Photoshop are very complex and you need to learn how to use its features.

The most powerful tool you have using Photoshop is the gray matter between your ears your intelligence.   However it need to be educated your brain it needs knowledge.  Without knowledge you will make mistake after mistake and learn.  How could Photoshop be the Gold standard without constrain resize.  You should have realized that Photoshop must have these features your brain logic should have told you Photoshop could not be number one without such a basic feature.,

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I know it has it, it's basic. What don't like is not being able to have the resize constrain UI available when I have the resize box around my layer. It is just an inconsistent UI. At times its there and at times it isn't. One example was pasting a layer larger than the image, this obviously shows the image outside the bounds of the image. There was no toolbar showing a constrain option, only an option to toggle resize box on or off and a list of grayed out icons that seemed irrelevant to what I was trying to do. Then by resizing the image being pasted in to 50% before dragging it in I then find the toggle to link the height and width staring at me the next time I try to resize. Inconsistent UI, I can't think of why it behaves in this manner. As I said, doing the same things is giving very different UI and tbh it's totally baffling how something so simple is overcomplicated by the inconsistency of the UI. Thanks, I know it has it, I'd be rather upset if it didn't have the basics, I just am rather riled by having the simple stuff made rather infuriating by inconsistent behaviour of the interface.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It is just an inconsistent UI.

Please post screenshots to illustrate your claims.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think you will find that the constrain icon is available when the image is outside the bounds of the canvas.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you tried using the constrain modifier key (Shift) or  center and constrain modifier keys (Shift+Alt). When you the drag a corner control point the resize should be constrained to the current Aspect Ratio from the diagonal corner or from the layer center.

Everything will not be intuitive Image editing in complex. And not all thing need to be learned bit some thing need to be learned. If you want to be able to use Photshop well.  You now not need the know the Unsharp Mask sharpens an image by blurring the image all you care about to you image appear to be sharper.   You will not use all features in Photoshop.  You only need the learn the features you will be using.

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To me it sometimes seems »baffling« that people working in a visual medium and posting here about some problem would rather type lengthy texts than show what they are talking about. (edited)

There was no toolbar showing a constrain option, only an option to toggle resize box on or off and a list of grayed out icons that seemed irrelevant to what I was trying to do.

Did you instigate a transformation or not?

If not then the absence of the »Maintain aspect ratio«-button in the Options bar should not be a surprise.

Once you started a Transformation (either by hitting cmd-T or by dragging a corner when »Show Transform Controls« is checked for the Move Tool) the icon should be available in the Options Bar until you commit the Transformation.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This video though not about transform show some information about Photoshop modifier keys.   These keys effect many Tools UI in Photoshop.

Cap Lock, (Ctrl|CMD), (Alt|Option), Shift, Space, and X  most used Modifier Keysx

These keys are use so much Adobe added a Palette for touch screens machine like the Surface Pro when you do not have the key pad attached,

Capture.jpg

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Fix your interfaces Adobe, from being unable to scale the program and its interface to fit the screen you are using

What is this supposed to actually signify?

Do you use Application Frame, which Screen Mode do you use, …?

Questions that might not be necessary if you deigned to post meaningful screenshots …

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 06, 2017 Dec 06, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

rachelcm74, have you figured out your problem yet?

If not please provide the information you have been asked for.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines