• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Effects in Photoshop

Community Beginner ,
Dec 04, 2017 Dec 04, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, I'm relatively new to Photoshop cc, but I am wondering if it's possible to give my images a 'felt' look?  As in, they look like they are made of felt,  like those kits we had as kids - fuzzy felt and the like. Here’s to hoping someone can help me. Many thanks, Debbie

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Dec 04, 2017 Dec 04, 2017

You can do this many ways. One way to add it to your photos is to download a felt texture image if you don't want to make your own.Grey Seamless Felt Texture

Then put that on a layer above your image and set the blend mode of that layer to Overlay. The example I provided will make the image dark and add the texture. But if you lighten that texture image, it will also lighten the appearance over the image.

If you have a sample of felt at home, shoot a pic with your camera, or phone, and convert it

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Create new layer

Fill that layer with the color felt you want

Filter>Noise>Add Noise

Check Uniform and the amount to 20 or so. Click OK

Filter>Blur> Motion Blur

Change angle to 50 and change the distance to a small number like 5 or so.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for taking the time to help.  Fingers crossed it works when I get to try it out later

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 07, 2017 Dec 07, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you,  finally got round to trying this out

Very simple and very effective,  just what I needed 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you trying to create graphics with a felt like texture or are trying to give a photo a felt texture?

That should be the first thing we need to know.

I have used various textures of different papers in the past to create graphics.  The same can be done using felt textures. 

But let me know what you want to accomplish and I can give you a few ideas.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry for not being specific enough. Initially I am interested in giving photos a felt appearance.  At some stage though I will be wanting to do similar to graphics,  but maybe I should cross that bridge when I get to it? Thank you for trying to help

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can do this many ways. One way to add it to your photos is to download a felt texture image if you don't want to make your own.Grey Seamless Felt Texture

Then put that on a layer above your image and set the blend mode of that layer to Overlay. The example I provided will make the image dark and add the texture. But if you lighten that texture image, it will also lighten the appearance over the image.

If you have a sample of felt at home, shoot a pic with your camera, or phone, and convert it to grayscale (Image > Adjustments > Desaturate) and then put it on top of your photograph and set the blend mode to overlay. Again, lighten or darkening the tone of the texture layer will affect the appearance in different ways.https://digital-photography-school.com/add-texture-overlay-images-stunning-effect/

This tutorial has a similar instruction for reference

How to Add a Texture Overlay to Your Images for a Stunning Effect

Hope that helps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 07, 2017 Dec 07, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you so much for trying to help me, I'm playing around with this now, so I'll let you know how I get on

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Dec 19, 2017 Dec 19, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just came across something that may be very useful - Download My Free Felt Craft Kit for Adobe Photoshop

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not sure I can remember all the steps this took, but I'll have a go.

New layer filled with 50% grey

Filter > Camera RAW > fx > Grain (fairly high settings)

You could probably skip the next couple of steps, and jump to the last one.

Filter > Stylize > Emboss (note you'll need to crop out the outside pixels)

Filter Gallery > Brush Strokes > Splatter  (this is it for the background)

New layer and make a brush stroke like this.  You'd need a tablet with Pressure Size but you could fudge it with a mouse by stroking a path with Simulate pressure.

Ctrl click to select, and Edit > Define Brush Preset

In Brush settings set

Size jitter to max

Angle jitter to max

Scatter to max with Both axes checked.

On a new layer above the texture we just made, use the brush we just made to spread some random hairs

Set the hairs layer to Screen and use Smart Sharpen to intensify the hairs

Of course you can just download a texture, but it's good to have an understanding of how the filters work, and how you can combine them to build and effect.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Very cool!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 10, 2020 Nov 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

hai

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines