• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Premiere Pro CC 2018 is Too Slow!

Explorer ,
Oct 27, 2017 Oct 27, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not too pleased with the latest update of PP.  It is so slow that it is practically unusable to me.  Just trying to play my timeline with simple unmodified videos is not possible anymore as the lag is too much.  I have cleared my cache, turned down playback resolution, and tried everything I can to at least make it usable but it is just too slow.

I am running an aged PC Windows 10 workstation but I have a processor with 6 cores, 16GB of RAM, and a decent video card.  Just a few weeks ago before the 2018 update everything was fine and PP was quite peppy.  I am not sure if there is anything else I can try or not.  To me it seems like something is just bad with the latest update.

TOPICS
Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Oct 27, 2017 Oct 27, 2017

I do recommend Cineform proxies for all H.264 media.

Work offline using proxy media |

Votes

Translate

Translate
replies 135 Replies 135
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Go into the Preferences and turn off all you dont need.

Also in sequence settings: composite in linear color, max bitdepth and max render quality.

Also check Hardware settings.

If that does nothing

uninstall, use cleanertool, and reinstall.

Use the Adobe Creative Cloud Cleaner Tool to solve installation problems

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same problem.  Hitting PLAY takes 5 seconds.  Insert and Overwrite edits from keyboard take 10-15 seconds, though drop and drag is the same.  CC 2018 OS 10.12

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Also, everytime I crash and restart, or every morning, the same .MTS files are conforming.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Nov 17, 2017 Nov 17, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same thing with me, insert/overwrite edits take forever. Oddly, if you drag it down using the mouse rather, it's more or less instantaneous.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 20, 2017 Nov 20, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes I'm experiencing the same issues. cut and paste clips from one bin to another is also really lagging. Insert / overwrite clips from source takes forever as well, but if you drag it down it's fine. Sadly, I use my KEYBOARD FOR EDITING!!!!And this is unacceptable. Rolling back to 2017 until Adobe figures this out. What blows my mind is how / why is this still a problem.

i97900x

GTX 1080ti

128 GB RAM

all scratch disks are on SSD

all media is on a 32TB Promise connected via thunderbolt 3, I get up 2000mbps read and write speeds

(in other words, my computer is not the bottleneck)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What kind of media are you using?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

MP4's with WAV audio files.  It is very simple and straight forward.  Everything worked fine before the latest update.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I do recommend Cineform proxies for all H.264 media.

Work offline using proxy media |

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 28, 2017 Oct 28, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wow! I never knew about this feature and it has helped tremendously.  I still think there is something terribly less efficient with the latest version but this puts me back in business.  Using this feature it is actually better than before.  Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Oct 29, 2017 Oct 29, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You're welcome.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 05, 2018 Jan 05, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

for me proxies don't seem to work. It doesn't start making proxies when I ask the computer to do so. I have fs7 4k files maybe that's the thing. At the moment also the 2017 version doesn't work. Can it have something do with the sierra update half december? Maybe the nvidia cards don't work good after that update?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 24, 2018 Jan 24, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for sharing!  Solved the lag problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 02, 2018 Jun 02, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jim, just because using proxies will work, doesn't mean it fixes the primary problem of premiere running slow. If it worked just fine for him before the update, it should work just fine after the update with the same media. Using the premiere "duck tape" method isn't the solution.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Mine is useless same problem and it crashes, even when you shut it down you end up doing so with the Task Manager. I have uninstalled/reinstalled three times now and tried clearing caches, changing settings and it makes no difference. I've now gone back to running 2017. I am running an i7 (admittedly a series 3) have 32 Gb Memory and an Nvidia GTX 970.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Nov 09, 2017 Nov 09, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Renaming a simple sequence hangs 10+ seconds for me, absolutely way worse than the hang in CC2017 when importing something off a network.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 17, 2017 Nov 17, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Answered? For SD 720x576 .mts files create proxy??? Do you have brain?  PP CC 2017 playing .mts SD files without 1-2 sec lag...

Proxy for SD on i7 6700k, 32Gb ram and nvidia 1060??!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 22, 2017 Nov 22, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

okey

On Fri, Nov 17, 2017 at 5:26 PM, TV Editing <forums_noreply@adobe.com>

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 24, 2017 Nov 24, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, Proxy editing is NOT the solution, and it doesn't make a difference anyhow. I've tried and overwrite/insert commands using keyboard still take forever.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 18, 2017 Nov 18, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

WoW... Installed today trial version of competition video editing software and can't believe...

Imported 120 Gb of 1080 50p mts files for 45 sec, dropped to timeline and start editing... Scrubbing? Not scrubbing, flying...  No scratch disk, no conforming files, clips are on 7200rpm HDD, spanned 4gb limit clips recognized, and very strange thing if you hit play no lag...

Speed performance comparison? Premiere = bicycle, competition = spaceship...

Adobe you going at wrong way...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 15, 2018 Jan 15, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok you got me... what other trial software program did you download?...

PREMIERE PRO 2018 is a slug compared to 2017 version, I don't have time to wait for Adobe to wake up to all these messages and provide a solution.

I'm a pro editor that needs to finish my current projects on time without all the BS time lags that this update has come with

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 20, 2017 Nov 20, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dear Adobe,

Has anyone on your team figured this problem out yet!?!?

These actions - Importing clips, overwrite / insert, cut and paste clips, ARE VERY VERY SLOW!!!! This is regardless of the type of media Im working with, be it 720p, 1080p, 4k h264, prores etc. Doesnt change a thing.

i97900x

GTX 1080ti

128 GB RAM

all scratch disks are on SSD

all media is on a 32TB Promise connected via thunderbolt 3, I get up 2000mbps read and write speeds

(in other words, my computer is not the bottleneck)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 21, 2017 Nov 21, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same thing here - I also dont think my PC is botlenecking - 2017 version was fine. I really dont want to roll back because that would mean reverting current projects to 2017 with xml's 😕  I usually never instal new verions of premiere till at least firs patch but this time i could not resist due to - opening multiple projects functionality being finally implemented and this is something i used heavily in my workflow  during Fcp 7 days and now with premiere. So kudos for this at least.

Dual V3 8Core Xeon

Dual Gtx 780 6GB

20 TB 1200Mbs Raid

64Gb Ram

System SSD

Latest Windows 10

Insert edits using keyboard take couple of seconds and sometimes up to a minute with premiere not responding message. And I have all my media convertet to dnx 720p proxy file like always.  Generally zooming out of timeline ang general timeline scrubbing also seems more sluggish than v2017. I can also confirm that drag and drop has no lag. only keyobard shortcuts seem to be affected. This is really painfull adobe - please help.

PS- this post has ben tagged as resolved - and the recomendation is to use proxies. This i think is missleading as this seems to be a v2018 uptade issue, not at all conected to proxy workflow or non proxy workflow for that matter, as people have reported that it really does not matter. Can we keep this thread alive please by removing this recommendation?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I agree, I'm going to start a new post regarding this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I agree .....havent checked out the latest update yet but in any case proxies are not the answer when the same project works on 2017 but not on 2018. The problem is NOT solved. Its just swept under the carpet.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines