• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Why is Safari asking me to allow Adobe Flash Player for unexpected sites (e.g., MacRumors, PayPal)?

New Here ,
Oct 13, 2016 Oct 13, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Lately, I've been receiving the prompt, "Do you want to trust the website '[URL of website]' to use the 'Adobe Flash Player' plug-in" prompt from Safari for sites that don't appear to require it (e.g., MacRumors, PayPal).

Whether I click "trust" or "not now" seems to make no difference in the functionality of the site.

Can anyone explain what's going on, here?

Is this a bug in Safari or Flash?

Or is my computer likely infected with some sort of malware or virus? (I ran Malwarebytes; it didn't find anything. I'm running Norton Antivirus now; unless I post otherwise, you can assume it didn't find anything, either.)

Or do sites like MacRumors and PayPal have legitimate uses for Adobe Flash Player?

Note that I am using the latest versions of Safari (10.0), macOS (10.12), and Adobe Flash Player (23.0.0.185, as verified and updated in the System Preferences Flash Player pane).

See below for screenshots. Unfortunately, I don't recall what other sites have been giving me this prompt, offhand, but they include sites as reputable as MacRumors and PayPal.

Screenshot 2016-10-13 10.59.12.png

Screenshot 2016-10-13 11.12.32.png

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Apple disables Flash Player by default in Safari 10.  If Safari is prompting you to Trust (allow) Flash Player plug-in on a specific page it would indicate the page contains some Flash content.   You're free to allow or not allow.  If the page doesn't display correctly you can go to Safari > Preferences > Security and modify the plugin settings (Enable Adobe Flash Player for Safari)

Reference:

Next Steps for Legacy Plug-ins | WebKit

Safari in macOS Sierra Deactivates Flash and Other Plug-ins By Default - Mac Rumors

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you. I'm aware of all that.

What I'm wondering is whether a site like PayPal or MacRumors would have a legitimate reason for using Flash.

Is Flash used for things other than video and games?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You would need to contact PayPal and MacRumors to find out for sure.  A search of "does PayPal use Flash Player" returned the following:

Integrating PayPal Express Checkout with Flex and Adobe AIR | Adobe Developer Connection

what is the flash video player paypal uses? - Stack Overflow

Yes, Flash is used for things other than video and games.  Many custom apps (e.g. AIR, Flex) use Flash Player.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,
Dec 03, 2017 Dec 03, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

maria__ (or adobe employee)

How to STOP Safari 11x from triggering the

"Do you want to trust the website '[URL of website]' to use the 'Adobe Flash Player' plug-in"

popup.png

I get it 20-plus times a day on the web and it's VERY annoying.

I cannot "esc" or back out of it ... the only option is to Force Quit (unless I want to click on something in the popup).

I don't want to remove the Flash plugin or enable it globally -- I just don't want to generate a popup on every site that calls it up.

I'm running OS X 10.12.6 on MacBook Pro.

forum.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Dec 04, 2017 Dec 04, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is a browser setting and has nothing to do with the Flash Player itself. Since you blocked out the website URL, I can't attempt to reproduce.

I recommend contacting Apple support for assistance, since it is their product, not Flash Player, that is displaying the pop-up warning, and not responding to the options presented, forcing you to perform a 'Force-Quit'.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

maria wrote:

"their product ... is displaying the pop-up warning, and not responding to the options presented, forcing you to perform a 'Force-Quit'."

Sorry to be clear, the options do respond if I click on them, I wrote:

"I cannot "esc" or back out of it ... the only option is to Force Quit (unless I want to click inside the popup)." 

And with all the FAKE Adobe Flash Player updaters popping up all over the Internet, I am not too keen on clicking on them or any other popups.

I wish Apple would end their apparent hatred of Adobe Flash ... having to Force Quit out of a Safari popup to side-step an Adobe Flash Player plug-in popup warning -- to get out of it -- and no intuitive work around that even stumps Adobe employees how their plug-in is interacting with Apple software...

here are a few sites that trigger the popup on my Safari 11.0.1, OS X 10.12.6, 2011 MacBook Pro laptop:

ebay.pngtime.pnglatimes.pngcrvown.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I currently don't have a macOS 10.12.6 system and am setting one up.  In the interim, I tested with OS X 10.11.6, which also has Safari 11.0.1 and am unable to reproduce.  I've tested with Flash Player 'on' and 'off' and the browser notifications are not displaying when visiting the sites you provided.

What is Flash Player configured to in Safari > Preferences > Websites > Plug-ins?  It the check box next to 'Adobe Flash Player' checked or unchecked?  Please provide a screenshot of the Safari > Preferences > Websites > Plug-ins > Adobe Flash Player window on your system.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

maria, thanks for your help on this

i have a second 2011 MacBook pro with 10.11.6 to compare

both laptops have Safari 10.0.1

all web browsers on both machines are default (no plugin experimentation)

Safari > Preferences > Websites > Plug-ins

both have 'Adobe Flash Player' box checked

here is a screenshot of the 10.12.6 box

Screen Shot 2017-12-04 at 5.32.30 PM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

PS  the web sites I noted in screenshots do not trigger the popup on the 10.11.6 configuration, but it is possible I've already Trusted them

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,
Dec 08, 2017 Dec 08, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Still looking for a possible fix a solution a work around to solve the dreaded "Do you want to trust the website (URL of website) to use the Adobe Flash Player plug-in" warning alert popup in Safari in 10.12.6 macOS OS-X -- and hoping an Adobe employee on the Flash team can solve the great mystery error.

I just ran the latest Safari version 11.0.2 update and Apple Security Update 2017-002 and I am still getting the popup as in my www.signin.ebay.com screenshot below.

I still cannot esc or back out of these popups -- the only option I have to move forward in Safari is to Force Quit the app -- or -- click inside the Flash Player Popup to respond.  And as I wrote earlier, there are a lot of fake Flash updates popping up all over the Internet to risk being tricked into clicking on them.

It would be great if I could use Safari Web browser without turning off the Flash plugin altogether because Flash is still useful to my workflow and surfing experience...

Updates.png

flashpopup.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I thought I had replied with the following a few days ago, but it did not post:

Can you repost a screenshot of the System Preferences Flash Player setting selected, for both 10.12 & 10.11?  The screenshot you posted contains information for reader, not Flash Player:

Screen+Shot+2017-12-04+at+5.32.30+PM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

post a screenshot of the System Preferences Flash Player setting selected

maria, I'm not sure what you mean

GUESS: System Preferences> Flash Player (which tab? Storage - Camera & Mic - Playback - Updates - Advanced?)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Dec 11, 2017 Dec 11, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

https://forums.adobe.com/people/gator+soup  wrote

maria, I'm not sure what you mean

GUESS: System Preferences> Flash Player (which tab? Storage - Camera & Mic - Playback - Updates - Advanced?)

The screenshot you posted in comment #9 is Apple's AdobeReader settings, not Flash Player settings.  Please post the same screenshot, but for Flash Player, instead of Reader. See my comment #12.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,
Dec 13, 2017 Dec 13, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry, maria, it seems we keep miscommunicating.

I do not see anything that looks applicable in System Preferences> Flash Player to post a screenshot.

That's why I asked you again.

At this point I think it will just be easier for me to disable everything Adobe, including Flash, in the problem web browsers.

In Safari, it's most likely Safari> Preferences> Websites> Plug-ins

I just unchecked them all and will see it that solves the problem popups...

FlashDisable.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The screenshot you posted just now (Safari > Preferences > etc) is what I was asking for.  Of course, with Flash completely disabled, Safari should display the prompts to enable Flash for the various sites.  It's up to you to determine if you want to enable Flash or not.

Jeromie explained why websites that appear to use Flash, may have Flash on the site.  The people best positioned to answer the question of why Flash is needed on a particular site, is the owner of that site, not Adobe.

FWIW, I visited the PayPal login page using macOS 10.12.6 with the latest version of Flash installed, but disabled/turned off and was not prompted to enable Flash.

According to this PayPal help site:

When you access our website or use PayPal Services, we (including companies we work with) may place small data files on your computer or other device. These data files may be cookies, pixel tags, e-tags, "Flash cookies," or other local storage provided by your browser or associated applications (collectively "Cookies").

"Flash cookies" are "pieces of data that websites which use Adobe Flash may store on a user's computer. Local shared objects have been used by all versions of" (Local shared object - Wikipedia​)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

maria wrote:
The screenshot you posted just now (Safari > Preferences > etc) is what I was asking for.

That's were we miscommunicated.

I quoted you twice, you wrote

but it looks like your original post has been edited since

maria wrote:

with Flash completely disabled, Safari should display the prompts to enable Flash for the various sites.

Ok, I have to ask:

Why would Safari display a Flash prompt if Flash plugin is completely disabled?

That's as annoying as having to Force Quit a web browser or click inside a popup to get out of it.

Seriously, is there no way to to disable Adobe Flash-related popups in Safari 11.0.2?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Dec 14, 2017 Dec 14, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I apologize for the miscommunication.  I posted the screenshot of what I was asking for, and the path to it, Safari > Preferences > Websites > Plug-ins > Adobe Flash, in comment #8.  I do see where I made a typo in comment #12.

Why would Safari display a Flash prompt if Flash plugin is completely disabled?

That's as annoying as having to Force Quit a web browser or click inside a popup to get out of it.

Seriously, is there no way to to disable Adobe Flash-related popups in Safari 11.0.2?

You will need to ask Apple.  Apple controls how and when Safari prompts to load the plug-in, not Adobe.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Crikey, maria ... I read all your responses very carefully

the screenshot you posted in #12 noted I was in Safari Preferences "Reader" and your text instructions there pointed me to "System Preferences Flash Player setting"

out of frustration in my last post, i asked the Adobe Acrobat team here if there was a "way to to disable Adobe Flash-related popups in Safari 11.0.2" and you tell me I "need to ask Apple"

that didn't answer my question and it is a poor response in my opinion

i will repeat for the last time having to click in a popup or force quit a browser to get out of a popup (with no way around it) is bad programming and your team would have better luck asking Apple (or Adobe engineers) to fix it

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

sorry should have been "i asked the Adobe Flash team" not the Acrobat team, couldn't edit it

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My screenshot in comment #12 was a copy of your asking for you to post the same for Flash Player.

i will repeat for the last time having to click in a popup or force quit a browser to get out of a popup (with no way around it) is bad programming and your team would have better luck asking Apple (or Adobe engineers) to fix it

Again, the issue you are reporting is a browser issue, not a plug-in  The browser CONTROLS how it handles (load/disable/enable) a plug-in, not the plug-in.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

the issue you are reporting is a browser issue, not a plug-in  The browser CONTROLS how it handles (load/disable/enable) a plug-in, not the plug-in.

thanks, i got that the first time i read it

i was just unclear if it was possible or impossible how to disable workaround the incessant flash player popups in safari

i guess what your team has said:

1. if the code on a webpage calls for flash player, a missing plugin or trust popup will occur even if the browser has flash player disabled
  2. at that point the FORCE QUIT or click-inside-the-popup is my only option to get out of the popup

i will give Chrome and Firefox a run and see if they have the same issues with Adobe Flash Player plugin

thanks for everyone's help in getting this through my thick head...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

i guess what your team has said:

1. if the code on a webpage calls for flash player, a missing plugin or trust popup will occur even if the browser has flash player disabled
  2. at that point the FORCE QUIT or click-inside-the-popup is my only option to get out of the popup

I have consistently stated that it is up to the browser to determine how it loads a plugin, and how the page is coded impacts that detection.  To obtain the answer to #1, you'll need to contact Apple as it's their browser, their rules.  The pop-up Force-quit issue is definitely a browser issue, not Flash Player, as the pop-up is a browser dialog window, not Flash Player window.

The browser landscape is consistently changing with regards to Flash Player and browser's are going to become even more aggressive at blocking Flash Player, making it more and more difficult for the end-user to view Flash content.  Chrome (which embeds the PPAPI Flash Player plugin) and Firefox (which uses the same NPAPI plugin as Safari) block Flash by default and force users to enable it.  Just like Safari, depending on how the page is coded, they may display a pop-up notification to enable Flash, or the method to enable Flash will be much more subtle and difficult to detect.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The issue you are experiencing is from Safari, not Flash Player.  Apple determines how Safari handles Flash Player, not Adobe.  I recommend contacting Apple support for assistance as to why their browser is misbehaving and forcing you to quit the application.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

maria wrote:

The issue you are experiencing is from Safari, not Flash Player.  Apple determines how Safari handles Flash Player, not Adobe.

Yes, maria, I believe you, but (excuse that) Apple is killing Flash for whatever reason with this type of handling.

maria wrote:

I recommend contacting Apple support for assistance as to why their browser is misbehaving...

I've done my share of documenting Apple and Adobe bugs and asking pointed questions -- communicating with Adobe has been a lot more productive for me in the past.

maria wrote:

and forcing you to quit the application.

like I wrote earlier, the issue is not "forcing" me to quit Safari -- I can move forward at any time if I click inside its Flash pop up.  That's suspect behavior -- I should be able to back out of or esc out of the warning dialog, but Apple's programming REQUIRES me to click inside a suspicious pop up.

In your position, I would be asking Apple to explain why their software is reacting to Flash like this, yet I'm sure Adobe has had many conversations with Apple over Flash...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines