• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

LRCC & iOS: importing consumes double disk space

Community Beginner ,
Dec 05, 2017 Dec 05, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi colleagues. Does anybody know if there a way in LRCC to automatically delete photos from Camera Roll during import, to save iOS device memory? The reason is simple. I have, for example, an iPad Pro with 512GB, with 380GB free storage space, and I import a 256GB SD card with RAW files. As there is no way to directly import RAW to LRCC, I have first of all use iOS native import wizard. After the import is finished I have to create an album in LRCC and import there photos from Camera Roll "Recent import" collection. Because of that I finish with 2x256GB data in the device, and for sure it's more than my iPad can store

So the question is if there is a way to avoid creating duplicated data during import.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Dec 05, 2017 Dec 05, 2017

It’s an Apple limitation. Images must firstly be imported into the Photos App. However once in Lr CC and sync’d to the Adobe cloud they can be deleted from the Photos App or Camera Roll. Lr CC will then efficiently manage the disc space on iOS tablets or phones.

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It’s an Apple limitation. Images must firstly be imported into the Photos App. However once in Lr CC and sync’d to the Adobe cloud they can be deleted from the Photos App or Camera Roll. Lr CC will then efficiently manage the disc space on iOS tablets or phones.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks 99jon 🙂 I'm wondering if an "move" option implementation is possible on iOS devices, just like on the desktop LR Classic. I mean an option when after importing an image LRCC can delete that RAW from the Camera Roll.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Lr Classic is only storing smaller version proxies (smart previews from nominated collections) so you need to decide if you want all of your originals backed up to the cloud.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 06, 2017 Dec 06, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you sure? My LR Classic downloads originals from the collections I have on my iPad and saves them on my local hard drive. I definitely don't need to store all my originals in the cloud, because right now I have around 15TB of RAW on my local drives, but what I do need is a mobile solution to travel with. I hoped to use iPad for it.

Right now I can connect remotely to my home desktop via Team Viewer, run the Lightroom Classic and share any collection I have there, to have it synced with LRCC and work with my RAWs on my iPad Pro, or I can download RAW files from my camera to iPad via USB3 to Lightning adapter, sync the downloaded with the cloud and all originals will be already at my desktop HDD when I'm back home.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Dec 06, 2017 Dec 06, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

This all depends on the original method of import.

Any images imported into an iOS device, Lr Cc or LR web will result in an original being sent to the cloud. If Sync is switched-on in Lr Classic the original will also be sent down to that application.

Images imported directly into Lr Classic will only sync to the cloud if placed into a collection marked for sync. Only smart previews from those images directly imported into Lr Classic get stored in the cloud.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines