• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Brush Size/Hardness HUD Shortcut [Mac & MS Surface Device]

Community Beginner ,
Dec 04, 2017 Dec 04, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was hoping there's some way to change the Brush Size/Hardness HUD Shortcut in Photoshop.

On Windows based devices the Shortcut is CTRL+ALT+Right Click, and on Mac devices it is CONTROL+OPTION+Left Click.

I would like to change it to CTRL+ALT+LEFT CLICK on my  Microsoft Surface Book 2.

It would make life so much easier if it were the Left Click because that function is the Pen tip on every stylus. Many designers have to switch between both operating systems and keeping shortcuts congruous between OS's makes everything much easier.

It is much more difficult to press the Right Click on the side of the Pen then simply dragging your curser on screen.

This would also remedy all Microsoft Surface Device issues with regards to Pen functionality in Photoshop. The Microsoft Surface Pen does not Hold the Right Click function which means the Brush HUD isn't even possible on any surface device (It just does a Quick Click, so you can't drag the pen to utilize the Brush HUD shortcut).

It would also be helpful for anyone using Wacom devices that just can't get used to hitting the Right Click button on the Pen like me.

I know that Adobe made the Microsoft Suface Dial compatible with Photoshop, however it is completely useless because it doesn't have supplementary buttons and therefore takes way too long to access brush settings, which should be accessable on-the-fly. It's like the first generation of BMW iDrive compared to the newest version of it which has supplementary buttons after many years of customer feedback (hopefully that analogy makes sense to ya).

If there is not a way to change it, ADOBE PLEASE MAKE THIS SHORTCUT CUSTOMIZABLE! You'll solve so many multi-platform issues.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Dec 04, 2017 Dec 04, 2017

It looks like that is one of the hardwired shortcuts, but you should repeat your request on the Photoshop Feedback site which Adobe engineers follow.  You'll probably get a response from someone like Jeff Tranberry who will tell maybe one day, or it will never happen so you can think about an alternative.

Photoshop Family Customer Commuity

Do you own a Surface Pro as well as the Mac?  I have no experience with the Surface Pro, but I am wondering if you use the stylus buttons for other functions? 

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,
Dec 04, 2017 Dec 04, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It looks like that is one of the hardwired shortcuts, but you should repeat your request on the Photoshop Feedback site which Adobe engineers follow.  You'll probably get a response from someone like Jeff Tranberry who will tell maybe one day, or it will never happen so you can think about an alternative.

Photoshop Family Customer Commuity

Do you own a Surface Pro as well as the Mac?  I have no experience with the Surface Pro, but I am wondering if you use the stylus buttons for other functions?  What I am angling at here, is that you might be able to swap the buttons in the device Preferences, but I don't know if that will stuff you up in other ways.

It's certainly doable with Wacom pens with Click being left click, and Right Click being...   hmmm  I'll have to think about that one

I'll mention a couple Surface Pro users, and maybe add Mac and Surface Pro to the subject line.  You'd better let us know if my edit is misleading so we can edit it again.

https://forums.adobe.com/people/Chuck%20Uebele

JJMack

Good luck

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 05, 2017 Dec 05, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, I use both devices. I just got the Surface Book and am really handicapped by this shortcut as it is the most used function for me in photoshop.

Unfortunately the Pen tip must be set as left click because it is the primary way to use tools in Photoshop regardless of it being a Wacom or Microsoft pen.

I posted on the Feedback site as recommended.

Thanks, hopefully this could be on an update.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You may find Radial Menu helpful. Not quite what you're needing but perhaps a more elegant workaround for now.

Top 7 Surface Book Hacks for Artists « Windows Tips :: Gadget Hacks

HTH

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The way Microsoft supports its pen button as a right click is where the problem is.

With a Wacom pen the pen bottom button is set to Right Click by default and can be set to Alt+Right Click.  When you press the button when the pen is close to the tablet Wacom Device driver sends a continiouse Right Click or Continious Alt+Right Click to your machine OS. You can change Photoshop brush Tip's hardness and size by moving the pen left/rght and up/down without touching the pen to the tablet.

Microsoft Pen support is different.  Pressing the pen's button act like a modifer that is not seen by Photoshop. When you touch the Pen tip to the Surface Touch Display Photshop will see a Right Click instead of a continious left click when the Pen's button is being pressed.  Adjusting Photoshop Brush tip is not posible with Microsoft Pen support.

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes I agree, however the default Left Click of the Pen tip does register as a hold/continuous Left Click, that's how you are able to draw lines rather than dots, so changing the HUD shortcut to the Left Click would remedy all those issues.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes I wrote the default is a continuous left click  the Microsoft Pen button modifies the behavior to a single right click.   Microsoft Pen and touch support also has a touch and hold Right Click Feature I turn off in  Windows 10.  Microsoft Pen an touch support may or may not effect Wacom Pen and Touch support.   I disable Microsoft Press and hold to play it safe. I also turn off Flicks support.  I mot a big fan of touch support.

Capture.jpg

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yep, I've already gone through the adjustments for pen settings via the registry editor.

The shortcut deserves an option for Left Click as is the default for Mac. It doesn't really matter that the Surface Pen Side Button can't hold the Right click because it should solely be the pen tip for the input just as is the case for Mac. This would be a benefit for any Wacom device as well for work on a PC because it is ease of use. I currently use a Wacom Intuos with an ExpressKey for Brush HUD just so I don't have to use the side-button on the stylus because it is not comfortable for me when sketching. This is not an issue on a Mac, you don't have to constantly adjust your grip on the pen to hit the Side-button...Left Click fixes the problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ideally, Adobe should make the option to choose between Left or Right Click on both OS's so that the user could choose their most comfortable preference.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 13, 2018 Mar 13, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do you have any solution for this problem ?

Someone frome adobe?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @azywno,

If you go on Edit>Keyboard Shortcut, you can change any key biding, and there's the  Brush Size/Hardness one! I hope this is helps you

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry, Is not helpful. That is not the HUD shortcut.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ideally Wacom, Apple, Microsoft and other software and hardware developer should work as one.   I do not expect to live to see that day.  I live on the third rock from the sun not a bad place to live perfect it is not.

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Oct 03, 2019 Oct 03, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

yup, same problem here, still not fixed

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Oct 03, 2019 Oct 03, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I fail to see how the above is related to the issue you posted here

https://community.adobe.com/t5/Photoshop/Brush-size-fails-via-control-option-mouse-click-in-Photosho...

Considering Photoshop CC 2019 wasn't even released when this original thread was posted

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines