Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Glossary control of content pane

Oct 31, 2008 Oct 31, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've created a WebHelp system with RH v5. I have a Glossary tab and glossary terms in the standard place. (Clicking Glossary replaces the topics list in the left pane with the glossary terms and definitions.) Is it possible to load an html file with the full glossary list in the content pane (or the right) when Glossary is selected?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Advisor , Dec 17, 2008 Dec 17, 2008
Skinny on Skins

Main Toolbar > Buttons >Add Button to Invoke File

Votes

Translate

Translate
Dec 16, 2008 Dec 16, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I didn't get any bites on this previously, but my client is still making a request, so I'm gonna put it a different way and see what happens:

I'm working on a WebHelp project using RoboHelp 5. It has a standard Glossary toolbar button, but my client wants to allow users to print the glossary. The only way I can figure to make this happen is create a "Printable Glossary" topic with all the terms. That workaround is okay, but what the client really wants is for this topic to appear in the content pane whenever the Glossary toolbar button is selected. Any ideas on how to make this happen?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Dec 16, 2008 Dec 16, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sounds like a custom button is required in your skin to display the required topic.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,
Dec 17, 2008 Dec 17, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I doubt that you'll be able to get a two-fer: that is, click one button, get the glossary in the nav pane, AND get a topic in the topic pane - unless you've got one amazing JavaScript guru at your beck and call.

You might add an extra custom toolbar button with a "print"-y look to it that would display the topic on the right. This would be independent of the default Glossary on the left.

Or, you could do as we did, and eliminate the default Glossary altogether. We have the aforementioned toolbar button, as well as a TOC entry, both pointing to our "Glossary" topic.

See Rick Stone's site for his "Skinny on Skins" & "Tips and Tricks" tutorials for essential RH workarounds.

As to converting your Glossary entries to topic-ready code, open your MyProject.glo file in Notepad and see its structure:

NAME=MyGlossaryTerm
MyGlossaryDescription MyGlossaryDescription MyGlossaryDescription MyGlossaryDescription MyGlossaryDescription MyGlossaryDescription

A good Replace tool could be configured to assign style classes to all your entries, in pretty short order, whether it's done only once or on an ongoing basis (if you decide to run with both types - default & topic).

Good luck,
Leon

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Colum/Leon,
Excellent suggestion for a custom button -- I'm certainly not married to the standard Glossary. I've searched Rick Stone's "Skinny on Skins" but can't seem to find what I need for creating a custom button that would bring up a "Glossary" topic. I'll keep looking, but if you know where I should look, please let me know. Otherwise, do you know of a skin with a custom button like the one I need?

Thanks!
John

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Skinny on Skins

Main Toolbar > Buttons >Add Button to Invoke File

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

1/ Create a topic in your project for your glossary.
2/ Open your skin.
3/ Click the + icon to create a custom button.
4/ Assign an item name, text and image as required. Note this can't be the same as your Glossary button if you have one.
5/ Click on the Action tab.
6/ Select Link and select the topic created in step 1.
7/ Generate and publish.
8/ Relax with a beer and a smug grin.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
Colum/Leon,
I obviously was looking for a more difficult solution -- thanks for pointing me to the simple one!

John

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp