• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

List of synonyms for indexing

Participant ,
Dec 16, 2008 Dec 16, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is there such a thing anywhere as a list of common synonyms for use when creating indexes for software help? For example, I have just added 'Pods' to my index and am thinking of other terms that users might search on such as 'Floating windows'.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't know of any and I suspect that part of the problem is the specialization of different software products - each having its own jargon. It is difficult to create a good index because what the programmers call something usually doesn't make sense to the user unversed in the vocabulary of the development tool. We use Visual C++ and Microsoft Foundation Class libraries and it is sometimes helpful to read their help and descriptions of items to pick up a few terms. Also our software does a lot of statistical analysis of data designed for those not so conversant in math. So, for example, what the statisticians call a "prediction," our typical user might think of as a "measurement." My point here is that you are unlikely to find everything you need in one source. Your developers and users (do you have beta testers available?) are probably your best source.

However, I think a good index is worth the time and effort. If only search engines had been created by librarians...

John

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The best I could come up with is the Microsoft Computer Dictionary. If you have the MS Style Guide is comes as part of the enclosed CD. Otherwise it is the book purchase option.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
Hi all

The RoboHelp Spell Checker actually has a synonym dictionary. The problem is, getting at it.

Might be worth suggesting to the development team that we be able to right-click a term and see something like Spelling > Thesaurus on the context menu. Click here to view the WishForm/Bug Reporting Form

Also, if you were to use the Smart Index Wizard, it offers an ability to find synonyms for words.

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp