Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Image & Canvas sizes won't 'stick'. They keep reverting

Explorer ,
Dec 06, 2017 Dec 06, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi All,

Do any of you know why this is happening?

I set up a document at 220 x 285 mm but when I check the image and canvas sizes, afterwards, they’re different!

I try changing them in image size and canvas size, but they still revert back. Very annoying and weird!

My Unit Sizes/rulers in Preferences are set to Millimetres. Does it have anything to do with the image resolution (surely irrelevant) being set to Pixels per inch?

Thanks

John

Screen Shot 2017-12-06 at 15.40.09.pngScreen Shot 2017-12-06 at 15.39.50.png

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Dec 06, 2017 Dec 06, 2017

Photoshop works in pixels. So the nearest document size to 285mm in whole pixel numbers (you have set 300 pixels /inch) is 3366 which takes up 284.988mm

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Photoshop works in pixels. So the nearest document size to 285mm in whole pixel numbers (you have set 300 pixels /inch) is 3366 which takes up 284.988mm

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ah, so it'll never be precisely what I set?

And if so, when it goes to print, with the placed Photoshop image set at exactly 220 x 280 mm in InDesign -- it'll be such a small distortion as to be neglible/undetectable?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You've got it. Like I say Photoshop works its canvas to the nearest whole pixel.  As far as the difference is concerned - if you can see .01mm you have better eyes than I have .

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 07, 2017 Dec 07, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That makes sense, Dave.

It's funny that I've never noticed this before. Unless it's a new thing in Photoshop, in that they show us a more honest/realistic measurement than previously.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you normally work in inches you wouldn't see it - as, when you set a value in pixels per inch, it works out exactly to the inch in whole pixels. So that may be the difference. You can of course set resolution in pixels/cm

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

That's a good suggestion, but it's unlikely I ever worked in inches for print to be honest.

Thanks for the help Dave

John

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines