• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Masking to Gray Issues

Community Beginner ,
Dec 05, 2017 Dec 05, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I recently updated from Indesign CC2017 to CC2018, and have been having issues with color shifting. As my work is often color critical, this can't be happening! Specifically, I notice that it will shift anything with a white mask behind it to an off gray on export to Adobe Acrobat. Opening the file from Acrobat to Illustrator seems to make the gray disappear, but my customers can't proof their work in Illustrator! I need to fix this problem, I have checked as many color options as possible, however, it doesn't seem to be a color issue.

This is not only on export, either. Any image placed in Indesign shifts to a gray from white, making my screen image of the items look muddy and off. This happens more often when using filters, but can make it difficult to adjust layouts, especially ones that have GRAY in them! PLEASE HELP!!!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 05, 2017 Dec 05, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Some screen captures of the problem would help. Select the problem object and show you Swatches and Color Panels.

Do you have Proof Colors turned off? What is the color definition and color mode of your [Paper] swatch?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 06, 2017 Dec 06, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is what it looks like in Indesign when I try to do any transparency adjustments at all, or filters of any kind.Screen Shot 2017-12-06 at 8.24.14 AM.png

This is how it should look.

Screen Shot 2017-12-06 at 8.23.42 AM.png

This is how another file looks, which is full vecor with screens and masks:

Screen Shot 2017-12-06 at 8.23.02 AM.png

And this his how it exports to an Adobe PDF File:

Screen Shot 2017-12-06 at 8.22.49 AM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

littleprint  wrote

This is how another file looks, which is full vecor with screens and masks:

And this his how it exports to an Adobe PDF File:

Screen Shot 2017-12-06 at 8.22.49 AM.png

From your screen capture looks like you are viewing in a browser (Safari)?

Does it look that way in AcrobatPro?

Are you using spot colors?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This screen shot is from Acrobat Pro (note the tools at the bottom of the screen). I'm using White, and Black, not spot. Default Swatches on ALL, as previously stated.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This screen shot is from Acrobat Pro

Is it the latest version—AcrobatPro DC?

Can you share a PDF?

The gray you are showing looks like a paper simulation (Simulate Paper Color), which you can get via Output Preview, but that should apply to all of the white areas.

Screen Shot 2017-12-06 at 11.49.55 AM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

At the risk of sounding stupid: How would I do that, exactly? There is no option available to share a PDF file.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Use a service like Dropbox.

Your CC account also has a sharing service. In the CC application it's under assets. On OSX there should be a folder in your User folder named Creative Cloud Files. Copy the PDF into that folder then right-click it to get the cloud link address to share.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry, I'm not getting download privileges on your link. Are you sure you made the access public?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

fixed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't see any problem viewing in AcrobatPro DC and the Output Preview numbers show all of the white areas as 0%.

I do see the problem in Acrobat Reader and can't figure out why, but it's not an output problem at least according to AcrobatPro's object inspector. Try exporting using the PDF/X-1a preset that works for me.

There is something odd about the vectors inside of the PDF. This is from Preview:

Screen Shot 2017-12-06 at 5.49.52 PM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

https://forums.adobe.com/people/rob+day  wrote

… I do see the problem in Acrobat Reader and can't figure out why,…

Hi Rob,

confirmed.

All areas colored with [Paper] are looking strange with Acrobat Reader:

Millstone-KidsMenu-AdobeReaderView.png

Here a view with Acrobat Pro DC where I used the Transparency Grid to discern "white areas" from "transparent ones":

Millstone-KidsMenu-AcrobatProDCView-1.png

"Simulate Paper Color":

Millstone-KidsMenu-AcrobatProDCView-2.png

"Simulate Paper Color" and "Set Page Background Color":

Millstone-KidsMenu-AcrobatProDCView-3.png

Hm…
Inspected the PDF a bit more and found Absolute Colorimetric Rendering Intent.

That could be the issue.

Finally I fixed the issue with Acrobat Pro DC by using a single fixup named:
"Set Rendering Intent to "Relative Colorimetric""

StRenderingIntentToRelativeColorimetric.png

The fixed PDF in Acrobat Reader:

Millstone-KidsMenu-CONVERTED-2-AcrobatReaderView.png

Regards,
Uwe

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here a link to the fixed PDF:

Dropbox - Millstone-KidsMenu-CONVERTED.pdf

Next thing to do is to ask how Color Management is set up with Illustrator (the placed artwork is from AI) and InDesign.

Do not use Absolute Colorimetric as rendering intent. Instead use Relative Colorimetric.

Regards,
Uwe

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 07, 2017 Dec 07, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Uwe. I've never noticed this before. And it happens even if I save the AI file with no embedded profile, which seems like a dangerous "feature". The current AI Color Setting's rendering intent always gets embedded, but I don't see a way to assign the rendering intent along with the profile, so the intent might change if the file got passed around.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Rob,

are you talking about AI CC 2018 22.0 ?

Had no time to test something…

Regards,

Uwe

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes 2018

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

… The current AI Color Setting's rendering intent always gets embedded,…

Thank you very much for this observation, Rob!
Did not know this.

Regards,
Uwe

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

All color Management settings are the same in all three programs. I established this yesterday in previous comments. North American General Purpose 2, which is what it defaulted to when I updated the programs. I prefer NOT to mess with these settings (as I said Yesterday), because color between the programs and the various printers is hard enough to maintain without my programs adding more fuel to the fire.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

prefer NOT to mess with these settings (as I said Yesterday), because color between the programs and the various printers is hard enough to maintain without my programs adding more fuel to the fire.

Did you create and save the AI artwork?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, all artwork was created and saved by me. And all files were on/used by the same computer. Best guess is it was just a VERY obnoxious glitch with the settings, as it seems to have resolved after the second attempt to fully reinstall InDesign while deleting the preferences. *Not the first time this has been an issue on my machine*

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can replicate and confirm Uwe's rendering intent observation, so I don't think it will completely go away with a reinstall. Here I've saved your art twice out of AI 2018 with no embedded profile, but changing the Color Setting’s rendering intents before the save. Absolute on top:

Screen Shot 2017-12-07 at 11.03.43 AM.png

Turning on Overprint solves the preview problem for the absolute version—the title bar shows [Overprint Preview].

Screen Shot 2017-12-07 at 11.03.57 AM.png

Also the shade and color of the gray is dependent on the document's assigned CMYK profile. Legacy profiles like Photoshop 5 don't respond to the rendering intent

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can replicate and confirm Uwe's rendering intent observation, so I don't think it will completely go away with a reinstall. Here I've saved your art twice out of AI 2018 with no embedded profile, but changing the Color Setting’s rendering intents before the save. …

I can confirm this.

Just did a test exactly like that with my own artwork in Illustrator.

Regards,
Uwe

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Illustrator and Photoshop both have rendering intent set to RELATIVE, so this is not what happened. It happened between InDesign and Adobe, and I don't USE Adobe READER I use Adobe Acrobat PRO. I keep my programs updated, so there is no older version issues. All of the color settings match in Photoshop, Illustrator, Indesign, and I don't change special settings when exporting. I have found that going beyond the NORM that Adobe sets as the recommendations tends to cause major problems with my programs and so I avoid them. Thus the need for NO or FEW 'work arounds' when doing my projects. I just DO my projects and use the programs as intended, with their base setup. Saves headaches, and lots of time which would be wasted with all the little "Work arounds" and "Quick Fixes" that are being suggested. No offense, but they eat up Massive productivity time when simply going with standard settings and using the other machinery and programs we have to do their job is better.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If it were being saved out of Illustrator, that would be fine. But It's Illustrator that I used to FIX the problem when the PDF did it. Illustrator was never giving me problems with color. Just exporting the PDF from InDesign.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines