Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Will it work? 12 GB Ram ;6 core CPU; i7 ;9800 GTX

Dec 06, 2017 Dec 06, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So I don't really know anything about computers. And not much about Adobe. But I could not work it on my laptop. So I'm going to buy a PC what the above system features.

Will that be sufficient to run Adobe After Effects and other video editing software smoothly?

Pardon my ignorance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You will want at least 24 GB RAM.

The graphics card is not adequate at all with only 128 CUDA cores.

What is the hard drive setup?

What speed CPU?

What type of media will you be editing?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Moved to the Hardware Forum.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That 9800 GTX is now too old to work in newer versions of Premiere Pro CC. In fact, since CC 2015.3, Adobe has completely dropped support for all of the old Tesla-architecture (pre-DirectX 11) GPUs in its MPE GPU acceleration renderer. As a result, Premiere Pro will get "permanently" locked to the software-only mode.

As for After Effects, very little (if any) GPU is utilized in the recent version. GPU acceleration only applies to the now-depreciated 3D Ray Tracer engine. The newer 3D renderer, Cinema4D, is entirely CPU only in its non-paid lite version that's included with After Effects CC.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the answers so far. Here are some additional specs.

AMD FX6120 six-core 3.5GHz CPU (Turbo to 4.1GHz, according to AMD)

- 750GB HDD
- USB3
- WiFi

- DVD-RW drive

- Windows 10 Home

- 12GB RAM

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well I replied to your answer Mr rjl. But I don't see it.

But just to be clear... GPU doesn't matter so much. But more CPU matters... which the cpu I listed should work pretty good right?

And I can also use "cinema 4d" because the graphics card doesn't really matter there either? So I should be able to edit easily.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How much are you going to pay for that system?

If it costs more than about $200 USD total, forget about it. That CPU is about as weak as a cheapo dual-core Intel i3 CPU, based on the software-only MPEG2 performance results. That's because it's just the way AMD's Bulldozer-architecture CPUs work: In normal (default) mode, that "6-core" FX-6120 effectively behaves like it has only 3 cores. Even an eight-core AMD FX CPU is as weak as or weaker than a recent quad-core Intel i5 CPU which lacks hyperthreading, partially due to the default behavior of AMD's Bulldozer/Piledriver architecture CPUs.

And, you do need more drives than just that single hard drive to run most video editing programs smoothly. In fact, a single SATA hard drive will become completely choked by the demands of running an OS, performing system maintenance tasks, running programs and copying videos all on the same drive - and that's handicapped even more by the fact that SATA is only half-duplex and not full-duplex. As a result, the maximum I/O throughput of that single hard drive will be no higher than about 32 MB/second – far below what the drive itself is capable of physically.

And I stated all that because I don't want you to waste any of your hard-earned money on a six-year-old platform with below-average overall performance even for its vintage.

On the other hand, almost anything would be better than your current laptop, which for all I know is either so old or so low-end that it falls short of Adobe's minimum system requirements to run many of the programs within the Adobe CC suite.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

What is your budget (realistically)?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines