• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Is there a way to have symbols in a text variable running head scale as superscript?

Explorer ,
Dec 05, 2017 Dec 05, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a book that has running heads with an automated text variable that picks up the chapter title on every righthand page. The chapter titles have an ® that does not translate as a superscript in the running head. Is there a GREP style or something I can add that will correct the symbol size and positioning in the running header? See example below. Thanks for any and all help.

Screen Shot 2017-12-05 at 1.00.17 PM.png

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Dec 06, 2017 Dec 06, 2017

Hi Chad!

Simply from the soft-return! 

Hercule Poirot

Votes

Translate

Translate
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, you can set up a character style for superscript then create a paragraph Style for your running header with a GREP style that applies the superscript character style to any registration symbol

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm familiar with what GREP does, but never actually created one. Can you give me an example of how this would work or point me in the direction of creating one? I am very familiar with Para and Char styles, but not the Grep. Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sure, this one is very simple, really doesn't need any knowledge of GREP at all. As I posted earlier, create a superscript Character style.

Screen Shot 2017-12-05 at 3.53.18 PM.png

Then create or edit your Variable Header Paragraph style and on the left choose the GREP style option.

Screen Shot 2017-12-05 at 3.54.03 PM.png

Then simply choose your new superscript character style from the drop down list and type a registration mark in the To TEXT: field.

The style will constantly be looking for registration marks within any text that has your variable header style applied and superscripting them.

Hope that helps

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Very easy but...I started to grab screen shots to for you, and when I was setting it up, it worked automatically because that's how the ® symbol looks in the two fonts I inadvertently selected (Minion and Myriad)

Screenshot 2017-12-05 14.53.56.png

But if you like your font and don't want to switch to one that has a small, raised registration symbol:

1. Create a character style to change the position to superscript. (I'm using the font called Charter to get a baseline registration symbol like yours).
  2. Edit the running head style and add a GREP style that apply your superscript character style to that one character.

Screenshot 2017-12-05 14.52.32.png

Screenshot 2017-12-05 14.58.13.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Do we talk about a « variable »?

(^/)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Thanks for reminding me about GREP styles. However, if you create a variable using the contents of the paragraph style the GREP character style does not get applied. I also added the GREP style to the paragraph style on the variable and it didn't work either.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Huh. Look at that. That looks like a bug. Please consider submitting a bug report Feature Request/Bug Report Form

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, I appreciate the detailed responses, but it doesn't work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Dec 06, 2017 Dec 06, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Everyone,

There is an active idea for

Grep style formatting for variables

Vote!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here is the link to vote for GREP in variables: Grep style formatting for variables – Adobe InDesign Feedback

And what a great example of teamwork on this thread.

~Barb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So, 2 variables!

(^/)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dog gone it. I saw that Michael had already responded, then saw Obi-Wan's post, thought he was totally wrong because I tested it with a variable, and went back to work.

Only to have this thought come flying back into my head that of course, again, Obi-Wan is right. My test was on actual text. But now, everyone has figured that the GREP instructions didn't work because variables are odd little creatures, which is why I was testing it in the first place. So... I retract the GREP answer (and sorry Michael, I have to unmark you as uncorrect).

Textbook Perfect

1.) Use a font with a small, raised registration symbol for the running head (i.e., Myriad Pro) or

2.) Take Obi-Wan's advice and create two character style variables. Specifically:

• Create a character style that doesn't change anything for the text.
  • Create a character style that doesn't change anything for the registration symbol.
  • Assign them both to the Chapter Title: the first one to the text and the second one to the symbol
  • Create two running head variables: this time both character style variables and insert then both in the running head, one right after the other
  • Use that nice superscript character style that you already made on the registration symbol

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

.... Or use a script!

What a teasing! ...

(^/)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, Barb. I was in the process of trying something similar, with 2 variables, but for some reason, the header adds a letterspace after the last character (not in actual chapter title it represents). This adds an erroneous space between the header and the ®, so it's not working. Do both variables have to be Char style or can the first be a Para style?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Both character styles (and I did test this one correctly before responding.) Did you use a paragraph style for the first part?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes. Para style for chapter title and char style for the ®. I will try your way shortly but have another fire to put out now! Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

.... To finish:

Now imagine « ironic »  as italic and grey??

(^/)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, not quite.

Create two paragraph styles: i.e., Chapter Title and Running Head. I think you have these.

On the 1st ChapterTitle: create two character styles that don't have any formatting attributes. I called mine 1 and 2 for brevity.

Screenshot 2017-12-05 16.18.39.png

Screenshot 2017-12-05 16.18.49.png

Create two Running Header (Character Styles). I also called these 1 and 2. 1 uses the Character Style called 1, 2 uses the Character Style called 2.

Screenshot 2017-12-05 16.19.29.pngScreenshot 2017-12-05 16.19.45.png

On the master page, insert Variable 1, followed directly by Variable 2.

Screenshot 2017-12-05 16.32.37.png

On the master page, assign Superscript to 2.

Screenshot 2017-12-05 16.32.54.png

Body page:

Screenshot 2017-12-05 16.33.11.png

I run the Denver Adobe CC User Group and we have a big meeting tonight: Adobe Evangelist Paul Trani is presenting so I have to head down now! I'll check back in with you tomorrow and someone else will step in if you need help before then.

~Barb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Barb. It's still not working. I have the chapter titles styled twice: first as a para, then as a character. I need to have offsets above and below for the title, hence the para style. ® is still full size even with correct use of symbol, plus there's a space between the title and ®. Not sure why this doesn't work. Frustrating.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Barb's suggestion should work. If you have a space between the title and the trademark symbol it's because you either have one of the character styles applied to an additional space in the actual title or you could have possibly entered a space in the text before/after field of the variable. To reiterate you need a character style applied to the actual text in the title text. Then you need a character style to control the size of the trademark of the text variable.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK, so I got it to work, almost. Now the problem is still a pesky space that falls between the last letter and the ®. Believe me, this erroneous space is not on the title or the master page running head, screenshots attached for verification. I've noticed this anomaly with INDD (13.0.1) before when it didn't make a difference, but this time it's working against me. Electronic voodoo—bah.

Screen Shot 2017-12-05 at 10.03.30 PM.png

Screen Shot 2017-12-05 at 9.46.52 PM.png

Screen Shot 2017-12-05 at 9.45.20 PM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Don't use a soft-return!

(^/)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Although I share Obi-wan's aversion to the soft-return, it has nothing to do with the issue that you're trying to address here. Your screen shot clearly shows a space before the trademark symbol so it's coming from somewhere. Try changing the title text to something else. Just a single word with the tm behind it. Apply the character style to only the title text and the other character style to only the trademark symbol and see how the variable text looks. We're sleuthing now. Just need to find where it's coming from!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Chad!

Simply from the soft-return! 

Hercule Poirot

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines