Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Major Windows 10 update today

LEGEND ,
Dec 06, 2017 Dec 06, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello everyone,

Microsoft released a major Windows 10 update yesterday with new product features. I've only been testing it for a few hours, but it seems to be stable with Photoshop 2018 which is a relief. One thing you might like to be aware of is the update leaves behind a massive amount of junk. On my machine I had 50GB of temporary files and the ability to revert to the previous Windows 10 version. Not much of a problem on a hard disk but definitely an issue with an SSD. It you want to remove the junk type 'clean' into Cortana and run 'disk cleanup' for the system files.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Terri

The last major update to Windows 10 was the Fall Creators update which was released in October, unless I'm missing something

Windows 10’s Fall Creators Update arrives on October 17th - The Verge

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Ged ,

I think you will find you will get the update shortly -it depends on your Windows Update settings. Microsoft at least warns it takes an age to install-for me it was an hour and ten minutes and two system restarts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Terri

This is the latest version I have and there's only this Cumulative Update KB4051963 Windows 10 v1709 Build 16299.98

More info

Windows 10 Forums

Untitled.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Ged,

my build is now 16299.98. I wish Microsoft would be clearer about current versions. In case I'm going totally mad and confusing everyone can someone else confirm we have just had an update and it's not the effect of the LSD?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Terri

You obviously got the major update a little later than some

I just checked and it's the monthly Cumulative Update that I got to bring it from 16299.64 to 16299.98

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

https://forums.adobe.com/people/Terri+Stevens  wrote

everyone can someone else confirm we have just had an update and it's not the effect of the LSD?

This is what LSD does, Terri - for the past week you've been sitting in front of your refrigerator, creating all these wonderful images...

So that's why you got this update now. Well, fun's over, time to get to work

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh dear . I've booked an appointment with my therapist for the morning. Seriously though, the great thing about this forum is nice people can put you straight without being nasty about it. Sorry guys

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Does that mean my Windows 3.0 is due an update .......

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

where did you get Windows 3 from? I'm still on Windows 2 Oh dear I've made myself look a real wazak here lol If Alexander Graham Bell is still chaiman of Microsoft I'm going to have a word with him about the speed of my updates. It's a good job I'm not sensitive about being an idiot lol

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Only if you want "Workgroups"

Ken Seals - Nikon Z 9, Z 8, 14mm-800mm. Computer Win 11 Pro, I7-8700K, 64GB, RTX3070TI. Travel machine: 2021 MacBook Pro M1 MAX 64GB. All Adobe apps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the cleanup info!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Good info on clean up Terri - just as long as anyone doing this is aware they are removing the ability to step back

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

good point Dave. Trouble is this update is largely vulnerability fixes, so do we really have much alternative other than to keep it or be vulnerable to exploits? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Terri

Can you do me a favour, click on Windows 10 start button and type winver and hit return and see what version your on

If this is the version you have then is the Windows 10 was the Fall Creators update which as I mentioned was released in Oct, useless of course you're in the Windows Fast Ring or Insider Program

Untitled1.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here is a helpful link for Windows updates:
Windows 10 release information - current branch, build history

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Ged our versions now seem to agree at .98. It looks as if you folks stateside get these things before us in Europe

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Terri

I just live across the pond from you in Ireland

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ged2016  wrote

Hi Terri

I just live across the pond from you in Ireland

Just a heads up guys.  Ged is a Photoshop wiz, and he is a moderator on Photoshop Gurus.  We are going to try and steal their best talent for our forum one person at a time   PSG is not always the friendliest of forums, but Ged is a real gent, being helpful and friendly, although come to think of it, it was him who banned me on PSG when I started posting there again recently.  This will totally embarrass him, so I'll consider this payback.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OMG I cannot believe you just done that Trevor, although payback is fair due

Don't worry I won't tell anyone why I banned you LOL

P.S. I think Photoshop wiz may be a slight exaggeration, I'm just OK but like helping when I can

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 09, 2017 Dec 09, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ged2016  wrote

Don't worry I won't tell anyone why I banned you LOL

If you won't tell us why you banned Trevor, we will have to ask Trevor.Dennis  to spill the beans!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 08, 2018 Feb 08, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello. I have windows 10 version 16299. How do I get the latest Adobe updates? I specifically wanted Select Subject. How long does an update take? If it takes longer than two minutes, i should try again?? I didn't realize I was updating the entire Adobe software, I thought it was just adding that nice little feature...:-P

As a non-techie, how do I

1. make sure I have the latest and

2. make sure that Windows can do it/handle it?

Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 08, 2018 Feb 08, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Open the CC desktop app. It will tell you if updates are available. An update isn't a single feature, it's a new release with certain new features. One app update might take anywhere from 1 - 30 minutes on a slow connection.

If you don't subscribe, but have CS6 or older, this doesn't apply to you. Those old versions don't get updates.

cc.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I installed the Falls update a while back, but I went looking for it rather than wait for my system to tell me it was ready.  Even Adobe staggers its updates (by time zone I believe) to lessen the impact on the update servers, so imagine if every Windows 10 installation in the world simultaneously downloaded several gigabytes.   I think Adobe hire server space from Amazon for large updates.  There will be a lot less people, but full CC subscriptions would come to some gigabytes.

Thanks for the disk clean up tip though.  I checked and found I was down to just 21Gb of free space.  That's gone up to 42Gb, but this is a temporary build, so I have not bothered doing my normal trick of moving every thing off the boot drive.  I normally reckon on >80Gb of free space on a 250Gb SSD.  For some reason this build is booting very quickly, and I am not sure why.  It goes from pressing the button to enter the password in less than 30 seconds.  I'll check and edit this post.

[EDIT]  Better than I thought. 17 seconds to the password screen, and another 7 seconds for the desktop icons to appear.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Trevor.Dennis  wrote

[EDIT]  Better than I thought. 17 seconds to the password screen, and another 7 seconds for the desktop icons to appear.

Pretty good. 29 seconds total here, but I don't have a password on this machine. I don't have any desktop icons either, for that matter.

But system disk capacity, after three months, is still very good:

System 2.png

I bet most of the junk is under your user account, Trevor. That's where it accumulates. You're the one who tipped me about WinDirStat, which I've found enormously useful. It basically tells you that all that used space isn't where you think it is...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines