Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Toolbars not showing [Branched]

New Here ,
Dec 07, 2017 Dec 07, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I am having the same issue with inDesign - everything works fine, but none of the toolbars or windows are showing. I have shared a screenshot of what I see. I have tried replacing preferences (which did nothing) and tried window > application frame (which works, but it is not the full application view and I have to do this every time I open a project). I was using inDesign just fine yesterday and today I am seeing this:

Screen Shot 2017-12-07 at 8.29.40 AM.png

Thanks for any help.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Dec 07, 2017 Dec 07, 2017

I have tried replacing preferences (which did nothing)

Let's start with how you trashed preferences, Tom.

Did you use the keystroke option, or did you manually delete the InDesign SavedData and InDesign Defaults files? If you didn't try the second option, try it now. Both are outlined in the link below.

Troubleshooting 101: Replace, or "trash" your InDesign preferences

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Dec 07, 2017 Dec 07, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have tried replacing preferences (which did nothing)

Let's start with how you trashed preferences, Tom.

Did you use the keystroke option, or did you manually delete the InDesign SavedData and InDesign Defaults files? If you didn't try the second option, try it now. Both are outlined in the link below.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 23, 2018 Mar 23, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I followed the link BarbBinder provided and it worked! Thanks!

When InDesign starts to behave strangely, the number one suggestion for troubleshooting is to replace (or trash, reset or restore) the application preferences. This will remove corrupt preferences and replace them with a new set of default preferences, and often end bad behavior.

There is a quick and easy method for doing this using the keyboard: close and relaunch InDesign, and IMMEDIATELY hold down Ctrl + Alt + Shift (Windows) or Cmd + Ctrl + Opt + Shift (Mac), and respond in the affirmative to the dialog asking if you really want to replace the preferences. There are two downsides to this method, however. First, you must be extremely fast on the keyboard (if you don’t see the confirmation prompt, you were too slow), and second, anytime you replace the preferences you will lose most program customizations, and using the keyboard method leaves you with no backup to restore them when the problem turns out to be something else.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 23, 2018 Mar 23, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

You are very welcome, Todd.

~Barb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines