• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Editing Links List

Contributor ,
Dec 06, 2017 Dec 06, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This maybe a simple question but how do I edit my links list as I have a bunch of links that are not valid any more?
Thanks

Alan

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Contributor , Dec 08, 2017 Dec 08, 2017

I was on a chat session yesterday with Adobe and was told that the list of URL links is one that as you add one to the top, one drops off the bottom and it's not editable.

Alan

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

do you mean manually one by one in DW or in a batch process ?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are these links to internal site pages or external URLs?

Nancy O'Shea— Product User, Community Expert & Moderator
Alt-Web Design & Publishing ~ Web : Print : Graphics : Media

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Dec 07, 2017 Dec 07, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nancy

They are links to external URLs. A lot of them had WWW1. at the front of the URL. Now those don't work any more and I had to go back and change all the the links to plain WWW. I want to get rid of all the redundant links. To answer Binou's question, it would be nice to go to where they are stored and Command click on the redundant ones and move them to the Trash.

Thanks

Alan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

you should do a search and replace in the all web site (ctrl|cmd shift F if you are in CC 2018... or ctrl|cmd f previous build) and replace all the ://www1. strings by ://www.

then you will have to put all the files again on remote web server

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Birnou

That replaces all instances of WWW1 with WWW within the HTML files. I've already done that and uploaded the edited files to the server. Now I'm trying to purge the links within DW. DW must store those links somewhere as they're available for use in new HTML documents. I just need to know where so I can purge it.

Alan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

before digging further in the Dreamweaver folder... try to go in the assets panel... windows > assets

now you select the chain on the left icon, the the drop down menu on the right top

in the drop down menu, select recreate the list for the site (or something that way... I don't have the english version under hands)

let us know if that works

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That doesn't work for me because it says I have to define a site and I don't have one as I upload to a third party server.

Alan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 08, 2017 Dec 08, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

case A:

• when no page are open that should be empty... isn't it... ?
  • so it populate as soon as you open a page that contains links , ins't it?
  • does www1 links (that shouldn't be an active link in any open document) present in the list ?

case B:

• you must be able to refresh the list

what ever your case... why not creating a web site project and then from there recreate the list... the www1 should not appear anymore (if not present somewhere in a files as an active link)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Dec 08, 2017 Dec 08, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I was on a chat session yesterday with Adobe and was told that the list of URL links is one that as you add one to the top, one drops off the bottom and it's not editable.

Alan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

English100  wrote

Now I'm trying to purge the links within DW. DW must store those links somewhere as they're available for use in new HTML documents.

Are you using a site wide Template to generate your pages?

If yes, open the Template.dwt file.  Make changes.  Save and populate to child pages.

Alternatively, if you're using a server-side include, open the include file.

Nancy

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nancy

I think you maybe misunderstood what I'm trying to do. If you look at the screenshot. I'm trying to purge the list that comes up when I click on the arrow next to the Links window.

Alan

Screen Shot 2017-12-07 at 1.55.48 PM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's the link history.  Restore Preferences.

Unusual behavior in Dreamweaver? Try restoring preferences.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nancy

It says resetting preferences is for when I'm having issues such as crashes etc. Doesn't seem that I'm having issues

Alan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's good for that too .

But you want to wipe out your history.  And to do that you must restore preferences or uninstall and reinstall DW.   Your choice.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I never understood the reasoning behind that list.

It would make some sense if it was being generated off of the links available in the source of a given page, but just using the history of text field's input is nonsense for anyone maintaining multiple sites.

@English100,

It should reset to empty any time DW is closed and reopened. Are you not seeing the same behavior?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines