• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to keep a record of my published photos?

New Here ,
Aug 01, 2017 Aug 01, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dear Experts,

I regularly publish my photos in diverse print journals and websites. Can I keep a record of my published photos in Lightroom 5.7.1.?

Thank you in advance for your answer!
Bálint Bajomi

bb@bajomibalint.hu

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Aug 01, 2017 Aug 01, 2017

You could create a Collection for each publishing category. For example, one Collection could represent a print journal or an issue of the journal, and every time you publish a photo you simply add it to the Collection. Later, you click the Collection to see all the photos published to that issue.

All of the Collections representing different journals and websites can be stored under a Collection Set called "Published Images".

This is an easy and cost-free way of tracking image usage because Colle

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For example, adding the "published" keyword to the photo?

How you do the record keeping probably will depend on how much data you are looking to save.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 08, 2017 Aug 08, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you!
I would like to record all relevant bibliograhic information related to the published image. So now I developed a Collection Set desribed in the other answer.

Cheers
Bálint

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 07, 2017 Dec 07, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dear All,

I am now using the system decribed above. It is working, but I have one problem. I am making some basic statistics about how many of my pictures have been published and how many times. If one picture is published several times, there is some confusion, because it is counted only one time in the overall statistics. One solution is to sum up manually all the sub-categories (e.g. individual journals), but I am feeling that this is a kind of tinkering.

The best would be if Adobe put an "official" solution in the next vesion of Lightroom.

Cheers
Bálint

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 07, 2017 Dec 07, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

bb84694239  wrote

I have one problem. I am making some basic statistics about how many of my pictures have been published and how many times. If one picture is published several times, there is some confusion, because it is counted only one time in the overall statistics. One solution is to sum up manually all the sub-categories (e.g. individual journals), but I am feeling that this is a kind of tinkering.

If you want is to find out how many collections use an image, one way is to right-click the image and choose Go To Collection. All of the collections containing the image are listed in that submenu.

Of course, that can be inefficient if you're counting many images. You may want to explore Lightroom plug-ins that can display Lightroom metadata as a table, or export the data to a spreadsheet format so that you can analyze/count metadata in a spreadsheet program. I do not know if these plug-ins list or count usage in collections, but you can try them at no charge:

List View

LR/Transporter

Export List

Some of those plug-in developers might offer plug-ins that could help you in other ways, so look around on their sites (and on Lightroom Goodies).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You could create a Collection for each publishing category. For example, one Collection could represent a print journal or an issue of the journal, and every time you publish a photo you simply add it to the Collection. Later, you click the Collection to see all the photos published to that issue.

All of the Collections representing different journals and websites can be stored under a Collection Set called "Published Images".

This is an easy and cost-free way of tracking image usage because Collections don't move images or make copies of the images; they're just lists of images already represented in the Lightroom catalog.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 08, 2017 Aug 08, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you!

That is a fine solution. I have used something similar until now, but it was not so sophisticated. Now I reorganised my collections and collection sets.
Perhaps Adobe should think about a more "official" system to be included in the next version of the software.

Cheers
Bálint

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines