Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

(X)FDF linked to hosted pdf file

New Here ,
Oct 28, 2017 Oct 28, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

It seems that Adobe Acrobat Reader DC prevents you to open a ( x)fdf file if the linked pdf document starts with http://

this import operation is not supported since the document being reference is on the web

In earlier versions of Acrobat Reader this was working. The specs states that the <f href=""> can be used to link the pdf file. Apparently From now on only local pdf files. In my case this is unacceptable because I don't want to distribute each change in the source pdf to my customers. If they open the xfdf file, Acrobat Reader should download the newest document and fill it with their form data.

Is there a way to disable this prevention? Or white-list a specific host?

I think Adobe should give a security warning and let the user decide if he/she wants to download the source pdf.

Thanks in advance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Nov 19, 2017 Nov 19, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

How did you create the fdf/xfdf file? Could you provide a sample file where it previously worked?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 21, 2017 Nov 21, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Bilal,

Could you provide a sample file where it previously worked?

%FDF-1.2

%????

1 0 obj

<< /FDF << /Fields [

<< /T (1.2.jobs) /V (myjobs) >>

<< /T (1.2.date) /V (24-04-2016) >>

<< /T (1.2.company) /V (Example) >>

<< /T (2.1.shouldBool) /V /Off >>

<< /T (4.1.intExample) /V /2500 >>

]

/F (http://mywebsite.org/targetPdf.pdf) >>>>

endobj

trailer

<<

/Root 1 0 R

>>

%%EOF

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Dec 07, 2017 Dec 07, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In earlier versions of Acrobat Reader this was working.

Did you mean to say that Acrobat Reader used to open the file and import the FDF data as well? Was the file opened in Acrobat Reader or in Internet Explorer or Safari?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same problem. The FDF file was opened in the newest version of Adobe Reader DC. The error message is:

This import operation is not supported because the reference document is on the internet. If you want to perform the current operation, you must recreate this file after downloading the reference document.

Then i have opened the FDF-file with Notepad. I made a copy of the path and pasted it into the internetbrowser. The PDF was downloaded succesfully. On my local harddrive, i have created a folder and placed the downloaded PDF into to the folder. Then i have adjusted the path in the FDF-file to the PDF-file in my newly created folder on my local harddrive. Saved the file. Opened the FDF-file. Then it worked!

It seems there is a problem related to http and https. Can this be solved?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Looks like another example of Adobe deleting functionality that people have been using, at their recommendation, for perhaps 15 years, without a note or explanation, in the interests of security. What next: "Sorry, we do not open PDF files for security reason. Thank you for choosing Acrobat Reader!"?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Yes that is correct. No browser; I'am talking about Acrobat Reader.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines