Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

After Effects Suspended

Dec 07, 2017 Dec 07, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I keep on having issues with After Effects CC 2018 hanging on me. In the task manager it tells me that the status of the program is "Suspended". I'm working with a multi-layer EXR file from V-Ray, and its happening quite a lot... Fix needed asap. After a few minutes of being suspended, the file shows the save dialog then immediately disappears.

Details below.

Thanks,

Seb

What, exact, version of AE are you using:

CC 2018

What OS?

Windows 10 64bit

What other hardware?

Intel Xeon E5-2630 v2 x2, 32gb RAM, NVidia Quadro K4000

What software?

Running Maya in the background, VLC, Skype, Chrome.

What is in your project?

Multi-layered EXR file, that has been split, composited, with a few exposure effects and Lumetri layer.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 07, 2017 Dec 07, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

This thread might be useful although it is old.

Can't see vray render elements in after effects.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Feb 16, 2018 Feb 16, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Solve this yet, SebJ? Let us know.

Thanks,
Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Aug 20, 2018 Aug 20, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm still getting this error, it's driving me nuts!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 01, 2018 Aug 01, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just bought a new laptop which is way better than my current pc. When I start After Effects it stays on for a little while and then In the task manager it gets suspended. Why is this? I cant find a solution anywhere.

Casper

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 12, 2018 Aug 12, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm also having the same issue and have traced it down specifically to an AE 15.1.2 and 15.1.1 issue.

Every time I ram preview in either of those versions, Windows will "suspend" AE, as seen by the greenleaf symbol in the task manager, and then AE will crash.  Every time, with every project.

This is only repeatable on AE 15.1.2 and 15.1.1

AE 14.2.1.34 and 15.01 do NOT get suspended by windows during RAM previews.

Running Windows 10 Pro Version 1803

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 21, 2018 Aug 21, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This worked for me, but I have no idea why...

1) copy all your plugins, scripts, presets and profs to a new folder.

2) uninstall ae, make sure it wipes your press and everything

3)install an older 2018 version of ae

4) make sure you can ram preview, do not add any of your 3rd party extras back in yet.

5) if the older version is working, update to the newest version and see if that will ram preview something.

6) if that works, slowly add back in your 3rd party extras one by one to see 8f one of them is causing the issue.

Hope that helps.

You might also want to make sure windows is totally updated, go to settings and check for an update.

Good luck!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Aug 24, 2018 Aug 24, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, but I'd rather not downgrade to a previous version, it'll probably cause issues with all of our latest projects.

I'll try to delete all traces of this latest version of AE, wiping the presets etc. I'll re-install it then.

After Effects is even now suspending itself mid-way through saving files, leaving my work unusable!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Aug 24, 2018 Aug 24, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So I tried uninstalling AE, deleting the prefs etc, and it's still doing it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 06, 2018 Oct 06, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

this seems to be an issue that affects after effect 15.1.2. on my machine, it refuses to run successfully, and i have had to return to 15.1.1. the upgrades are useless if the program refuses to run at all. whatever has been done, it seems to be unsuccessful. as of this date, 7 october 2018, it is impossible for me to access the bug report page. therefore, i have posted this here. not sure why, but returning to 15.1.1 worked for me. didnt need to fully uninstall, just reinstalled previous version.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 12, 2018 Nov 12, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I started noticing this issue after the most recent AE update. Sent in a crash report. Has anyone found a fix or workaround yet?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 16, 2018 Nov 16, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This happens for me when combining two or more compositions to a new composition when there are multiple layers per composition. If you do a preview render, at some point AE just locks up.

I suppose a workaround would be to just copy all of the layers from one composition to the other one. Still...it is frustrating and silly since you can preview render the multiple layer compositions just fine individually. But once you add those multiple layer comps to a new comp...POOF. Good stuff.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 23, 2018 Dec 23, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The same thing is happening to me STILL. This all started after the CC 19 update.... It pretty much mainly happens when using dynamic link between AE and premiere. I'll edit premiere clips in after effects compositions, and not even 5 or so minutes after editing, AE just freezes. No "not responding", no blue spinning circle, no errors. When I check the task manager, it says AE is "suspended" and never goes away unless I shut the program down. This is extremely frustrating, and I even have to completely restart my PC for the dynamic links to work again. Ugh !!! Get your shit together adobe.. I am not paying these ridiculous fees to have malfunctioning programs

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Dec 27, 2018 Dec 27, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

- Go to Task Manager.

- Go to the "Details" tab.

- Left click on After Effects and select "Select priority"

- Set priority to "High" instead of normal.

After Effects will work much better and it will use much more RAM from the PC. If you run other programs at the same time, these other programs will have a hard time (lag).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 28, 2018 Dec 28, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wish I could try this, but the set priority options are all grayed out.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Dec 28, 2018 Dec 28, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Greyed out?? Why? Nothing is greyed out in my Task Manager. No program has greyed out priority settings. This is a permission issue for sure....

Have a look at this post so you can restore the priority settings.

Fix: Unable to Change Priority in Task Manager - Appuals.com

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 01, 2019 Jan 01, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Yianis for the response. It seems that when I launch AE I have access to change the priority in Task Manager, but when the program is “suspended,” the options are greyed out. I looked at the article and troubleshooted a little, but may have to keep trying. No solution just yet.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 29, 2019 Jan 29, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tried changing the priority to high, but AE still randomly suspends.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Jan 06, 2019 Jan 06, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Whenever you start After Effects CC, you must then change the priority setting to high and then continue working. When you work in After Effects in a high priority, it won't get suspended. It will only when you are working with 4K or more K footage and you have lots of effects involved. If you don't have a professional graphics card, you might consider de-activating it and don't use Mercury hardware acceleration. Just use "Software only". This might be the cause of suspension, as well.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 06, 2019 Jan 06, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Yiannis!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 16, 2019 Feb 16, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Same happening to me now. last two days getting "AE suspended" often in task manager. (never had this at all before, for anything) Nothing I'm able to do to fix the issue. Every two weeks or so I have a new problem to solve regarding AE. Why? My system is up to date and loaded. (I know because I have to make sure of this every time I troubleshoot a new problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines