• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Fontawesome Pro 5 glyphs in InDesign not working

Community Beginner ,
Dec 07, 2017 Dec 07, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

(Mac OS 10.9.5, ID CC 2015.5) I'm trying to use Fontawesome Pro 5 in InDesign. The glyphs panel doesn't work - insert a glyph, I get the glyph name (eg plus-circle) instead. The instructions are that you're supposed to be able to type the glyph name (again eg "plus-circle) and the ligatures are supposed to replace the text with the appropriate symbol. This isn't working either. Ligatures are activated for that font, and I've also tried turning on discretionary ligatures for OTF fonts via the Character control panel. Fontawesome the free version works perfectly - you can insert glyphs without issue.  Annoyingly, Fontawesome Pro glyphs DO work perfectly in Illustrator. Any ideas?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Dec 08, 2017 Dec 08, 2017

Hi,

I would write up a bug report and send it to the maker of Fontawesome Pro:

Font Awesome

Sorry. No other idea…

Regards,
Uwe

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Dec 08, 2017 Dec 08, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I would write up a bug report and send it to the maker of Fontawesome Pro:

Font Awesome

Sorry. No other idea…

Regards,
Uwe

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 08, 2017 Dec 08, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

> I've also tried turning on discretionary ligatures

Unless the Pro version is very different from the Free one, that is not necessary. The Free version only contains regular "liga" ligatures.

Per this recent post: Alternate glyphs not working  – can you check what language is set to the text where you try to insert your glyphs?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 19, 2017 Dec 19, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I found a solution, you need to turn on World-Ready Paragraph Composer setting within Paragraph or under Preferences > Advanced Type.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 19, 2017 Dec 19, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Fantastic! Works perfectly! Thank you

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 01, 2020 Oct 01, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello from 2020 - This same thing happened to me yesterday, words instead of glyphs -- except with the Free version in InDesign. It had to do with the OTF format vs the TTF. So, I downloaded the Web fonts and installed the TTF and BOOM! It worked! Not sure why OTF wasn't working for me, but I'm glad I got it working eventually.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 19, 2022 Nov 19, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

This did not work for me at first, but when I also removed the font tracking (spacing between letters) I had activated it worked! So - if you have to much tracking, the font-awesome ligatures will not show. I suppose that goes for all ligatures in every font.

All in all - great tip (which is also in the official FA-trouble shooting guide here).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines