• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

.psd file extension altered to .psd.jpg.

Engaged ,
Dec 08, 2017 Dec 08, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello

I have discovered that hundreds of my multi layered Photoshop files have had the file extension altered to .psd.jpg. I now cannot open them at all. Online file convertors do not recognise the file type. I would be grateful for any advice about this. I seem to have lost access to several years of artwork created in Photoshop. I use Photoshop CC 2018 on an iMac OSX 10.12.6

Regards.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Engaged , Dec 08, 2017 Dec 08, 2017

Dave

I restarted my iMac, and most of the .psd files have re-appeared, with all layers intact. But the .psd.jpg versions are also still there in the iMac filing system.  I will keep my fingers crossed and hope everything is now back to normal. I think I will buy some additional backup storage to keep separately. All very strange.

Thanks for you persistance in helping me.

Regards.

Peter.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you tried renaming the file to remove the additional extension and just leave .psd   or .jpg as appropriate ?

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dave.

Thanks for your response. Yes. I have tried leaving only .psd or .jpg, but

Photoshop will not recognise it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you post a link to one of the files?

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Dave

I have attached a screenshot showing how the  files are listed on my iMac. - the .psd.jpg extensions should be .psd. I do not know how it happened. ~It seems to have happened on 19 May 2017.

I have also attached a screenshot showing the message which appears when I try to open the files in Photoshop. I have tried removing the .psd.jpg extensions, and leaving .psd or .jpg, but Photoshop will not recgnise them as proper Photoshop files. I tried a couple of online file converters, but still no good.

Cheers

Peter.

CORRUPTED .PSD FILES 1.pngCORRUPTED .PSD FILES 2.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do you have Time Machine setup

How to use Time Machine to back up or restore your Mac - Apple Support

You should always keep a backup of your important files and documents

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you can post a link to an actual file (using dropbox or similar) we may be able to see how to open it.

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dave

Time machine is only showing files back to 17 May 2017,- It is showing nothing before that date, even though I have been using it for about three years. It is showing the files as corrupted i.e. it is howing the Photoshop files as .psd.jpg/

I do not understand much on the tchnical side.

thanks four your help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please show a screen shot of one of the files named back to PSD and opened in Photoshop. This should work OR give a different message. It should definitely not give the same message.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Or, better still, please SHARE A FILE as requested. You must put this on a file sharing site, and post the link.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dave.GRENSIDE 1.png

This is a screenshot of an original .psd file which has not been corrupted into .psd.jpg. is that what you meant?

The other screenshot shows the message which appears when I try to upload a .psd.jpg file via Dropbox (Which I am using for the first time, so I might not be doing it right). If I try to open the files with just .psd or .jpg extension, Photoshop still does not accept it.

BWATCH.PSD.JPG DROPBOX IMAGE  FILE .png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

You need to post a link to the file from DropBox

How to share your Dropbox files with links - CNET

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you post in the link to the dropbox file rather than a pic of the page. that way we can get the file

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You have told us that if you change the extension to PSD that Photoshop "still does not accept it". But what exactly happens?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Dave

I restarted my iMac, and most of the .psd files have re-appeared, with all layers intact. But the .psd.jpg versions are also still there in the iMac filing system.  I will keep my fingers crossed and hope everything is now back to normal. I think I will buy some additional backup storage to keep separately. All very strange.

Thanks for you persistance in helping me.

Regards.

Peter.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines