• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

.chm not compiling

New Here ,
Dec 17, 2008 Dec 17, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am trying to compile a rather lengthy document with a large number of imported MS Word 2003 files. The Output View gives me the following warning and does not complete the compile:

"HHC4001: Warning:
The following alias line does not contain an '=' character separating the topic IDs: .

FOSS_Spiral_1_Master_Document.hhk

Fatal Error: Unexpected error from Microsoft HTML compiler.
Finished compiling HTMLHELP in 23 sec(s)"

Please help me. I'm on a tight deadline.

Below is the full output view:

Starting compilation...
HTMLHELP preprocessor 7.00.145

Compiling C:\Documents and Settings\ambacherge\My Documents\My RoboHelp Projects\FOSS S1 Master with imported files\!SSL!\FOSS_Spiral_1_Master_Document\!chm_tmp_folder_0\FOSS_Spiral_1_Master_Document.chm ...

Preparing to create HTMLHELP...
Clearing output folder...
Preparing files for HTML Help...
Copying files...
Updating files...
Finished preparing in 6 sec(s)

Initializing compiler...
Generating HTMLHELP (7.01.001)...
Updating topics...

Updating Document_and_File_Viewer/_Discussion_Papers/An argument for role types.htm...
Updating Document_and_File_Viewer/_Meeting_Agendas_and_Notes/Architecture Conference Call 11-12-2008.htm...
Updating Document_and_File_Viewer/_Meeting_Agendas_and_Notes/Architecture Meeting Notes 110408.htm...
Updating Document_and_File_Viewer/_Meeting_Agendas_and_Notes/Architecture Meeting Notes 111208.htm...
Updating Document_and_File_Viewer/_Meeting_Agendas_and_Notes/FIS Architecture Meeting Notes 100108.htm...
Updating Document_and_File_Viewer/_Meeting_Agendas_and_Notes/FIS Architecture Meeting Notes 100608.htm...
Updating Document_and_File_Viewer/_Meeting_Agendas_and_Notes/FIS Architecture Meeting Notes 100708.htm...
Updating Document_and_File_Viewer/_Meeting_Agendas_and_Notes/FIS Architecture Meeting Notes 100808.htm...
Updating Document_and_File_Viewer/_Meeting_Agendas_and_Notes/FIS Architecture Meeting Notes 111808.htm...
Updating Document_and_File_Viewer/A_Project_Leadership/Business_Process_Definition_Effort/Process goals.htm...
Updating Document_and_File_Viewer/A_Project_Leadership/Spiral 1 - PMP.htm...
Updating Document_and_File_Viewer/B_-_Technical_Architecture/B - Technical Architecture.htm...
Updating Document_and_File_Viewer/C_-_User_Scenarios/A suggested User Scenario Syntax.htm...
Updating Document_and_File_Viewer/C_-_User_Scenarios/Spiral 1 - User Scenario 1 (revised).htm...
Updating Document_and_File_Viewer/C_-_User_Scenarios/Spiral 1 - User Scenario 1.htm...
Updating Document_and_File_Viewer/C_-_User_Scenarios/Spiral 1 - User Scenario 2.htm...
Updating Document_and_File_Viewer/E_-_Portal/CLI Portlet UI Requirements.htm...
Updating Document_and_File_Viewer/E_-_Portal/Portlets requirements.htm...
Updating Document_and_File_Viewer/F_-_Catalog/FOSS Metadata Model 111408.htm...
Updating Document_and_File_Viewer/F_-_Catalog/FOSS-Cat 20081114 Meeting Minutes Draft.htm...
Updating Document_and_File_Viewer/F_-_Catalog/FOSS-Cat 20081119 Meeting Minutes Draft.htm...
Updating Document_and_File_Viewer/F_-_Catalog/NMFS EDM Data Categories.htm...
Updating Document_and_File_Viewer/G_-_Hub/NOAA_FOSS_SRS-V1.0.htm...
Updating Document_and_File_Viewer/H_-_Adapter/H - Adapter.htm...
Updating Document_and_File_Viewer/I_-_Quality_Assurance/I - Quality Assurance.htm...
Updating FOSS Consolidated Files Document.htm...
Updating FOSS Spiral One Documents Title Page.htm...
Updating Revision_History.htm...
Updating Spiral_1_Consolidated_Documents_List.htm...

C:\Documents and Settings\ambacherge\My Documents\My RoboHelp Projects\FOSS S1 Master with imported files\!SSL!\FOSS_Spiral_1_Master_Document\!chm_tmp_folder_0\FOSS_Spiral_1_Master_Document.hhp
Microsoft HTML Help Compiler 4.74.8702

Compiling c:\Documents and Settings\ambacherge\My Documents\My RoboHelp Projects\FOSS S1 Master with imported files\!SSL!\FOSS_Spiral_1_Master_Document\FOSS_Spiral_1_Master_Document.chm

HHC4001: Warning:
The following alias line does not contain an '=' character separating the topic IDs: .

FOSS_Spiral_1_Master_Document.hhk

Fatal Error: Unexpected error from Microsoft HTML compiler.
Finished compiling HTMLHELP in 23 sec(s)

Compilation complete.

Thanks.

gambacher

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Advisor , Dec 17, 2008 Dec 17, 2008
"Compiling C:\Documents and Settings\ambacherge\My Documents\My RoboHelp Projects\FOSS S1 Master with imported files\!SSL!\FOSS_Spiral_1_Master_Document\!chm_tmp_folder_0\FOSS_Spiral_1_Master_Document.chm"

Man, that is some output destination path! Try creating a new folder "C:\FOSS" and another HTML Help layout that generates its output to "C:\FOSS\S1_Master.chm." You'll probably experience less grief.

Good luck,
Leon

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi gambacher and welcome to the RH community.

As a start I'd look at the alias file and add the missing = character.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the quick reply. Could you tell me which is the alias file?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"Compiling C:\Documents and Settings\ambacherge\My Documents\My RoboHelp Projects\FOSS S1 Master with imported files\!SSL!\FOSS_Spiral_1_Master_Document\!chm_tmp_folder_0\FOSS_Spiral_1_Master_Document.chm"

Man, that is some output destination path! Try creating a new folder "C:\FOSS" and another HTML Help layout that generates its output to "C:\FOSS\S1_Master.chm." You'll probably experience less grief.

Good luck,
Leon

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The alias file is the one with an .ali extension. It is a text file so you can open it in Notepad and edit and save. Good luck.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The alias file is the one with an .ali extension. It is a text file so you can open it in Notepad and edit and save. Good luck.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, gambacher, and welcome to the forum,

The strange " " string that you see in the error message may indicate another possible cause of the problem: if RoboHelp has somehow encoded the alias file in anything other than ANSI format, the help compiler displays the HHC4001 message.

This was a problem that a number of RoboHelp users reported earlier this year. See:

1st row of ALI-file does not work

Pete

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks everyone. I've got it fixed now. It was the lengthy path names.

Gene

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp