Expand my Community achievements bar.

Join us for the next Community Q&A Coffee Break on Tuesday April 23, 2024 with Eric Matisoff, Principal Evangelist, Analytics & Data Science, who will join us to discuss all the big news and announcements from Summit 2024!
SOLVED

Domain change

Level 1

We are changing our domain for a website, but all other things will remain the same (paths, etc.). What do I need to do in Analytics to keep existing data and capture traffic from the new domain moving forward?

(for example, we are changing our site from www.domaina.com to www.domainb.com)

Thanks

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Employee Advisor

Hi Bill, if you're moving everything, you can probably just update your Internal URL Filters to the new domain and call it good. Everything should be pretty seamless, as long as your implementation doesn't throw any JS errors. You don't even have to create a new report suite if you don't want to.

If you do want to start with a brand new report suite, you'll want to update your implementation to point to the new report suite ID. Arun's links above can give you more information on how you might be able to do that.

Regardless of what you choose, I would highly recommend you test everything prior to publishing it live, and make sure image requests are firing using the Adobe Debugger​.

View solution in original post

4 Replies

Community Advisor

Dear Christopher,

To answer your question, we need to be little detailed.

1. Have you used DTM for deploying Analytics? If yes, kindly go to 'Edit Property' and add your new domain by checking 'This site spans multiple domains'.

Check for the Domain Conditions in DTM and add the new domain wherever necessary.

2. Have you used direct implementation? If yes, check whether you have used domain logic/condition to set your Report Suite. If yes, please add the new domain to the logic. If not, no worries, it will capture the traffic automatically.

The complexity arises when you capture URL as the page name. Because, earlier it will be www.adc.com/home and on change it will be www.xyz.com/home. You need to merge the line items to get the continuity.

Let me know if you need more help!

Thank You!

Arun

Level 1

Thank you for the answer, however, I inherited this implementation and it’s been implemented this way since before Adobe acquired it.

How can I tell which implementation we have?

We have multiple report suites in our account. When I create a new property, I clone an existing report suite. We have a common javascript file that looks like it uses a dynamic account selection:

s.dynamicAccountSelection=true

s.dynamicAccountList="lgrsite1=site1.com"

lgrsite1 is the report suite id used in Omniture/Analytics.

Would I be able to update lgrsite1 to lgrsite1=site2.com and that would capture the new traffic?

Thanks for your help.

Community Advisor

Dear Christopher,

My answer to the question is 'Based on the Requirement'. If you want to replace, you can do. If you want to add new domain and keep the existing, you can add it using comma(,) separator.

But I strongly recommend to go through the below links:

s.dynamicAccountSelection

s.dynamicAccountList

s.dynamicAccountMatch

Whatever you do, check the debugger to identify the final report suite.

All the best for the implementation!

Thank You!

Arun

Correct answer by
Employee Advisor

Hi Bill, if you're moving everything, you can probably just update your Internal URL Filters to the new domain and call it good. Everything should be pretty seamless, as long as your implementation doesn't throw any JS errors. You don't even have to create a new report suite if you don't want to.

If you do want to start with a brand new report suite, you'll want to update your implementation to point to the new report suite ID. Arun's links above can give you more information on how you might be able to do that.

Regardless of what you choose, I would highly recommend you test everything prior to publishing it live, and make sure image requests are firing using the Adobe Debugger​.