Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Exporting 3d layer issues

Explorer ,
Dec 09, 2017 Dec 09, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

Currently having an issue of exporting a 3D layer to a wavefront|Obj format. It exports fine but the materials do not come through correctly. They are either missing the details or colours, some have opacity textures which seem to be blocking it somehow.

Is there anyone that could help, simply need to export to OBJ to insert in to powerpoint?

I can send you the file if it helps

See below, bottle should be green and labels should be on the bottle

Capture.JPGCapture2.JPG

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Dec 09, 2017 Dec 09, 2017

Hi

When you export are you setting the format for the textures ?

Then after exporting have you checked that those textures have been saved alongside the obj file?  Something like this:

If you have all that and can't then import back to a new Photoshop document post a link to the file and I'll take a look.

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It sounds more like the problem is with importing it into your other app rather than exporting it.

To check - when you export - do you get in the same directory the obj file; an mtl file; and an image file for each texture in the format you specified when exporting?

What happens if you import the object  into Photoshop using new 3D layer from file, and then select the obj file?

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Dave,

I didn't actually import, I built from scratch in PS using the 3d mesh preset for the wine bottle. I opened the file again and yes you are right the textures didn't load with the object.

I went back to the original file (on iMac) and copied the whole file across to my PC and loaded again, all textures loaded fine. Exported again but still the same. If I send you a link could you have a look?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

When you export are you setting the format for the textures ?

Then after exporting have you checked that those textures have been saved alongside the obj file?  Something like this:

If you have all that and can't then import back to a new Photoshop document post a link to the file and I'll take a look.

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Dave,

I'm sure I'm missing something, I am using Wavefront OBJ and also TIFF's on the export but when I try to import the OBJ in to powerpoint it's still missing the textures AAARRGGHHH!

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/7ehu8xwz8otq1po/AACGIr9SmbziEdSYCMqtWbgFa?dl=0​

Please, if you could have a look at the files in the folder, I'd really appreciate it

Phill

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is nothing wrong with your exported file.

Your psb is on the left and the obj file imported with its saved textures to a new 3D layer in a separate document on the right. Both look the same.

It looks like the issue is with the import into your other app.

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Dave,

Im importing in to MS Powerpoint. Just can work out why it's not pulling the materials though correctly.

I appreciate the help Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

I just tried importing it to Blender which worked, then importing it to Powerpoint which didn't. I would say the issue is with Powerpoint.

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Dec 10, 2017 Dec 10, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Import the file in Paint 3D and save it as their proprietary format, then import that into PP.

Mylenium

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 10, 2017 Dec 10, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Mylenium,

Imported and still the same, the bottle material doesn't show and the opacity texture appears:

Capture3.JPG

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 24, 2018 Jul 24, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I have had exactly the same problem. In PhotoShop I use an image to generate an extrusion, map an coloured image onto the surface, and then export.

When imported into PowerPoint, the shape is there, but not the coloured image.

Looks like a PowerPoint bug.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines