• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Formating errors during Import

Dec 17, 2008 Dec 17, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi All,

I'm at my wits end with this one and I'm hoping somebody can help. I've tried this in the Word version and the HTML version.

Whenever I've used Robohelp in the past I've written documents from scratch, but now I find myself in import territory and nothing seems to work the way I would like.

A colleague and I have a document set of roughly 30 docs and we need to covert them to HTML format to create an online help solution. Every time we import the Doc files Robohelp seems to make a mess of the formating - font change, gaps appear between lines and paragraphs, bullet numbering goes crazy, etc. I think it has something to do with the Headings used in the original docs but I'm not entirely sure.

Something else that keeps happening is that we get topics that consist of just the subject heading, while the main 'body' is placed somewhere completely differnt in the TOC.

Does anybody have any expereince of importing from Word into Robohelp, and if so have you got any suggestions for how I might make this less painful and more easy? Would I do better simply rewriting the material straight into RH, rather than trying to import it, for example.

We've tried this in both versions of RH (HTML and Word) and we get disappointingly mixed results every time. Any ideas?

Thanks in advance,

Alex

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Advisor ,
Dec 17, 2008 Dec 17, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Your Word files have probably been worked on by many different people unfamiliar with its quirks, and have therefore become unimportable (in other apps as well as RH, I suspect).

I suggest the "cut and run" method: that is, neuter the Word content.

1. In Word, Select All > Copy.
2. In Notepad, Paste > Select All > Cut.
3. In an empty topic in RH, Paste.
4. Format the topic to your heart's content!

Good luck,
Leon

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Dec 18, 2008 Dec 18, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Leon. I'll give that ago. I hadn't thought of using Notepad to strip away the formatting. The only drawback to this solution is that my document suite is 1500 pages long!!! I'm not sure there's going to be a quick and easy fix for this, but your idea sounds like a good one.

Alex

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Leon. I'll give that a go. I hadn't thought of using Notepad to strip away the formatting. The only drawback to this solution is that my document suite is 1500 pages long!!! I'm not sure there's going to be a quick and easy fix for this, but your idea sounds like a good one.

Alex

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
You could try saving the document as RTF in Word, then open it with Wordpad; that should get rid of most of the rubbish but retain fonts and such.

--- Derek

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp