• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

RH 7 HTML - Can you design skins for CHMs?

Community Beginner ,
Nov 24, 2008 Nov 24, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all,

RH 7 HTML - Can you design new, colored skins for CHMs?

Or only for WebHelp?

Tnx,

- avi

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well yes you can but.......

There are issues with doing so. Rick's tips n tricks file shows how it can be done and highlights the issues you will face.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 15, 2008 Dec 15, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, Colum, once I had completed the Help project, I had a look at Rick's idea for making skins for CHMs.

And I must admit that it seems quite ingenious.

So I had a go...

However, somewhere along the road I gave up.

The crux of the idea is that you copy ALL the WebHelp output into an empty RH project into the Baggage Files folder.

And the crux of the problem is that for some reason, RH creates lots of sub folders as well and copies of the HTM files, and it seems to me to be impossible to add these files and folders automatically. Adding them manually is going to take "for ever".

That's my observation.

Thanks,

- avi

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, Colum

avi

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Dec 15, 2008 Dec 15, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To be honest avi I haven't ever used this method. Adding all the output files would be a hassle - particularly for a large project - but the index issues are the big stumbling block for me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 18, 2008 Dec 18, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

>> but the index issues are the big stumbling block for me
Not quite sure I understood you there; but I understand that having all files as "Baggage" would interfere with indexing?

2. As far the hassle is concerned for large projects (or even smaller ones),
if RoboHelp would support this then it could do it automatically.
But then there is the indexing issue you mention.

3. Is there some other Help format that I can generate with Robohelp that allows me to design a custom skin AND have a single output Help file? My client objects to having the online help implemented as millions of little files (as in the case of Web Help). I don't yet know about other help formats. What about Java Help? Does Java Help get produced as a single output file, by any chance? Others?

Tia

- avi

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi avi.

The index seems to have occasional problems when run inside the CHM. Remember that you are adding the webhelp index file as a baggage file and getting it to render inside the CHM window (something this was never designed to do). The TOC and search seem to work however.

As far as getting a single ouput file with a skin, have you looked at Adobe Air?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi avi.

The index seems to have occasional problems when run inside the CHM. Remember that you are adding the webhelp index file as a baggage file and getting it to render inside the CHM window (something this was never designed to do). The TOC and search seem to work however.

As far as getting a single ouput file with a skin, have you looked at Adobe Air?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

>> Adobe Air
Ok, I had a quick look.

Seems to be a whole new world.
Nothing to do with RoboHelp, I take it?

- avi

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You need a RoboHelp web output for AIR to work on.

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks!
How difficult is it to turn a RoboHelp web output to AIR ?

- avi

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
Try looking at this link on Peter's site.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp