• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Turn off Move tool for holding down Command?

New Here ,
Sep 30, 2017 Sep 30, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Macbook Pro 2017, Photoshop CC 2017

When I draw I usually have my left hand hovering over the COMMAND+Z in case I make a mistake, but it's annoying me that every time I undo something, clicking on the screen too fast will switch my brush to the move tool, and I have to press the command key a few times to get back to the brush tool (or at least, this seems to be working).

It's very annoying and breaks my flow though.

Is there a way I can disable pressing command for the move tool? or something.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,
Sep 30, 2017 Sep 30, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You have several options, but I can't say which is going to fix your particular issue.

Remove the shortcut for the Move tool.  If you have CC, then you can access this from the Edit Toolbar

If you don't have CC then gor Edit > Edit Shortcuts

The other option that mighjt be affecting you is Auto select

A lot of people find this feature annoying, and prefer to uncheck it, and enable it by holding down the Ctrl (Cmd) key while clicking on a layer.  Note the Layer drop-down.  This can be set to Group, which is also annoying IMO.

If I am not interpretting your question correctly, can you provide more details please?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 09, 2017 Dec 09, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same problem. Basically us artists like to be able to hold down the Command key without it doing anything, because we never really use the 'Hold down command to move or select a layer' feature, we only hold down command to press Z immediately after to undo something. I have also not been able to find a way to turn it off.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 09, 2017 Dec 09, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Look closely at your workflow.  If you want to work more quickly, then consider using a keyboard with programmable keys.  For instance I use a Logitech G910 on which one of the G-keys steps backwards.  So a single press of that key undoes one step, and another press the step before.  It makes for a fast fluid workflow, and I obsess about having to move the cursor or my fingers and inch further than I need to.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 10, 2017 Dec 10, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's just odd that this has been changed. Has it always been this way? I've now gotten used to pressing command + z, so It feels akward to bind it to another key. I was looking for a way to not have to change habits, but rather settings. Thank you for the reply though

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 06, 2019 Oct 06, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry to bring this post up but the answer given by Trevor Dennis doesn't work.

Is there a way to disable command for the move tool?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 22, 2019 Oct 22, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same here. It's not the standard "auto-select" isssue, but every time I try to get a fix on this, everyone thinks I'm talking about auto select. This is a completely differnt issue and I can't find a fix for it. It seems ridiculous that this is even the default. I mean, there's already a move tool. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 06, 2019 Oct 06, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A lot of emails come in, but I can't read it because I can't translate it. How can I make it available for immediate translation?

Because it uses a translator, it takes a lot of time.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 25, 2020 Dec 25, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are there still no fixed solutions for this issue? I feel like many Macbook Pro 2017 users are struggling with the same problem like me and it's so annoying when I use undo all the time on Photoshop. Trevor Dennis' solution does not solve the problem

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 25, 2020 Dec 25, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have searched high and low for a solution. It feels like a "it's not a
bug, it's a feature" situation.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 01, 2021 Mar 01, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I honestly can't believe there's still no easy fix for this. This command+click function has been bothering me for years... Hopefully there will be the option to disable it in the near future. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 01, 2021 Mar 01, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Perhaps you want to post on Photoshop feedback site which is monitored by Adobe employees and engineers https://feedback.photoshop.com/. This is user to user forum.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 13, 2022 Nov 13, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I "fixed" this on my end by adding a secondary shortcut for the Undo option.

Go to your shortcuts and under "Edit" you'll see the "Undo" shortcut set to "Ctrl+Z" by default. 

Click on "Undo" then on the right click on "Add Shortcut" and now press an F key that you don't use. I pressed F5. F5 just brings up a brush panel that I can easily go click on so I don't need this F5 shortcut. 

Photoshop will warn you that F5 is being used somewhere else, so accept setting F5 as a secondary shortcut for "Undo" and go delete the conflicting shortcut. 

Now you can use Ctrl+Z or F5 to undo. Both keys work. F5 is really out of the way if you press this on your keyboard but it works great if you use buttons on your tablet like I do. An alternative would be remapping a keyboard key to the Ctrl+Z combo or F5. If you have a keyboard with programmable keys this is simple, but otherwise you have to go grab some third party software. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines