• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Unable to reach dropdown menus in InDesign

New Here ,
Dec 08, 2017 Dec 08, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am unable to reach my first three dropdown menus in InDesign. For example, when I click on "File" the drop down menu shows, but as soon as I move the cursor it opens another menu. Has anyone else experienced this problem? I thought it had something to do with my computer but tech department at my work told med to bug report it to Adobe.

This is when I click to open the menu, with the cursor still at the menu bar

This is how it looks when I move the cursor down a bit and another menu opens

So, does anyone know why this happens? Any solutions? Is this something I need to bug report?

Best,

Julia

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Community Expert , Dec 11, 2017 Dec 11, 2017

Are you by any chance running InDesign on Windows using Parallels or another virtualization program? I had this issue because Windows had display scaling enabled and it was messing up my screen in a similar way. To fix it, I did one of the following below.

Windows 10

Select Display > Change the size of text, apps, and other items, and then adjust the slider for each monitor.

Earlier Windows systems

Right-click the application, select Properties, select the Compatibility tab, and then select the Dis

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Beginner , Aug 04, 2022 Aug 04, 2022

All of the GUI drop-down and contextual menus were not staying open and no items were selectable. MacBook 2015, osx 12.5, InDesign 17.3. Solution for me: in PREFERENCES > USER INTERFACE SCALING, deselect SCALE CURSOR PROPORTIONATELY.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Dec 10, 2017 Dec 10, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Which version of InDesign and OS?

It might be worth resetting your InDesign Preferences:

Close InDesign. Then hold down Ctrl + Alt + Shift (Windows) or Cmd + Ctrl + Opt + Shift (Mac), and relaunch InDesign. Respond in the affirmative to the dialog asking if you really want to replace the preferences.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 24, 2022 Jul 24, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you, thanks you. Deleting preferences worked.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 26, 2024 Jan 26, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm going to try it.

I can't use any of the tools, and I can't access any drop down menus. I click, amdnothing happens.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 26, 2024 Jan 26, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

😞 Didn't work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jan 31, 2024 Jan 31, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi @Esther32939330bo6v,

Sorry to hear about the trouble. Can you share the version of InDesign & OS, a few screenshots, or a small video of the issue? We'll try our best to assist.

Thanks
Rishabh

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 26, 2022 Sep 26, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You're a genius. Even 5 years later! Thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 04, 2022 Oct 04, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ID 2022 running on Monterey 12.6 Did not help me. I have lost all function of the menu bar at the top.  Including the Apple icon.  I also no longer have my hard drive showing up in the finder hence not applications folder, library ets. Everything works fine though...except the menu bar when using inDesign.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 29, 2022 Nov 29, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We had this happen with one of our faculty.  I was able to fix this by deleting the user's profile and have her log back in.  I know this is drastic action, but the result was a completely functional machine.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 20, 2022 Dec 20, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here in 2022, and this still works for the menu glitch. Thank you!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Dec 11, 2017 Dec 11, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

You would most likely need to clean BOTH cache and preferences.Troubleshooting 101: Replace, or "trash" your InDesign preferences

-Aman

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you by any chance running InDesign on Windows using Parallels or another virtualization program? I had this issue because Windows had display scaling enabled and it was messing up my screen in a similar way. To fix it, I did one of the following below.

Windows 10

Select Display > Change the size of text, apps, and other items, and then adjust the slider for each monitor.

Earlier Windows systems

Right-click the application, select Properties, select the Compatibility tab, and then select the Disable display scaling on high DPI settings check box.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tried to reset all preferences but it didn't work. I have now deleted and reinstalled CC entirely, still without any luck unfortunately.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you try my suggestion above?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tried your suggestion even though I'm not using that kind of program, and it worked! Thank you Chad - hero of the day!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Chad's a hero!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 23, 2022 Jun 23, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is there another solution to this? This has been an ongoing annoyance for me across multiple macs. Not running any windows at all. Preferences is hardly ever a solution and When it is it's temporary. This is happening for me mostly with indesign but does happen on all other Adobe programs I use as well. Incredibly frustrating. Have done complete reinstalls and yet when the issue comes up and when it duesnt seems to be totally random. maddening. 
currently indesign 17.3 (photoshop, illustrator,acrobat....latest release)

macos 12.4 with a complete reinstall of only macOS and Adobe cc. I do use a plugin in indesign called easycatalog but this plugin is vital to how I use indesign and every Adobe issue I have ever had has made no difference if this particular  plug in is removed. This also shouldn't be effecting other Adobe programs. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 21, 2022 Jul 21, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello - 

Did you ever find a fix for this? I am currently experiencing the same issue with 17.3 and never had it with previous version on the mac.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 21, 2022 Jul 21, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have not personaly, still happening most of the time for me and still seemingly random. like most glitches in indesign I have just been trying to work through them.  difficult to say anymore if the program hleps more than it hinders. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jul 22, 2022 Jul 22, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @rpr ,

We're so sorry to hear about the trouble. Let me assure you that I'll share your feedback with the team. In addition to the suggestion shared above, you can also refer to this discussion https://community.adobe.com/t5/indesign-discussions/ui-scaling-in-indesign-scale-user-interface-base...

Feel free to reach out if you need any further assistance.

Regards

Rishabh

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 12, 2022 Sep 12, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @Rishabh_Tiwari any update on this? we have tried everything but indd is completely unusable. An update and solution would be great. Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 13, 2022 Oct 13, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all, my dropdown menu in Indesign won't work at all. I have deleted preferences but that did not work. Help please.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 04, 2022 Aug 04, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

All of the GUI drop-down and contextual menus were not staying open and no items were selectable. MacBook 2015, osx 12.5, InDesign 17.3. Solution for me: in PREFERENCES > USER INTERFACE SCALING, deselect SCALE CURSOR PROPORTIONATELY.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 30, 2023 Sep 30, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I could kiss you! This worked for me. Thanks so much!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines