• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How much space do collections occupy when shared throught the mobile app?

Contributor ,
May 15, 2017 May 15, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm getting the hang of the mobile app and I create collections in light room cc and now sync them to the mobile app to show clients the question that I have is how much actual space are the collections taking up on my iPad or iPhone .

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , May 15, 2017 May 15, 2017

Supposedly Lightroom mobile manages this storage for you and if your phone starts running out of space it will delete the local cache storage and when an image is needed it will pull it off the cloud, so the bigger question is how much storage in your creative cloud will it take as you will probably run out of CC storage before hitting the phone's storage. You can calculate this by taking a few of your images and building a few smart previews. Then click on the smart preview mention below the hi

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Supposedly Lightroom mobile manages this storage for you and if your phone starts running out of space it will delete the local cache storage and when an image is needed it will pull it off the cloud, so the bigger question is how much storage in your creative cloud will it take as you will probably run out of CC storage before hitting the phone's storage. You can calculate this by taking a few of your images and building a few smart previews. Then click on the smart preview mention below the histogram in grid view and it will show you how much space the smart previews are taking. Divide the total storage by the number of previews you have and you'll find the average size of them. On my machine and this is a bit over 1MB per preview file.   Lightroom mobile uses the same type of smart previews so they should give you an idea of the size.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

HOLY SHMOKES!!!! Jesus that sounds good to me ! How did you know that....Anyway thank you! I will do that I appreciate you taking the time because that nails it....cheers!!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In in the ipad app I couldnt find the smart previews you may mean in the LR CC on my computer ...but when I clicked the menu for the collection in the app, there was an option to clear cache for offline...that number was 312mb for that collection. so perhaps , for that collection, takes up 312mb????

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 16, 2017 May 16, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

https://forums.adobe.com/people/Jao+vdL  wrote

the bigger question is how much storage in your creative cloud will it take as you will probably run out of CC storage before hitting the phone's storage.

That isn't a concern. It's true that Lightroom Mobile dynamically manages the images to fit within the space on your phone or tablet, but you won't run out of cloud storage for Lightroom because it's a different and unlimited "storage bucket" than the storage that comes with a Creative Cloud account. According to Adobe Lightroom for mobile and Lightroom for Apple TV | FAQ:

Does syncing images to Lightroom for mobile use a portion of the cloud storage I get with my Creative Cloud membership?

No, the images synced with Lightroom for mobile are not counted as part of your cloud storage.

How many photos and videos can I sync across my devices using Lightroom?

We currently do not limit the number of photos and videos you sync in Lightroom.

Adobe can offer unlimited syncing to Lightroom Mobile because it's self-limiting. Since Lightroom Mobile doesn't sync to another desktop computer, your download capacity is limited by the available storage space on your mobile devices.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 11, 2017 Dec 11, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

IMPORTANT — I need to update the above reply because people are still reading it, but the facts have changed since the introduction of the new, integrated Lightroom CC multiple-device ecosystem in the fall of 2017, along with new Creative Cloud plans. If you go to the FAQ document now, it says:

Does syncing images to Adobe Photoshop Lightroom CC for mobile use a portion of the cloud storage I get with my Creative Cloud membership?

Yes, images from Lightroom CC for mobile count against your cloud storage provided with Creative Cloud.

The reason for the change is that the amount of storage you get now depends on which of the new Creative Cloud Photography plans you signed up for. Go to Adobe Creative Cloud Photography plan, and scroll down until you find the different plans. They list the amount of storage available at each pricing tier.

And the reason they probably had to change it is that the photo storage you use is no longer self-limiting in the way I described earlier. Now that the new Lightroom CC desktop application can sync to the same cloud storage as the mobile devices, and it always syncs everything, and it has a preference setting to store all originals locally, the potential desktop storage can now be as large as the desktop hard drive assigned to Lightroom CC storage. For example, you could assign Lightroom CC local storage to a 32TB RAID array.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines