• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Photoshop CS3 re-activation failed. Please help.

New Here ,
Oct 24, 2017 Oct 24, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

URGENT! - Longtime user of Photoshop (since the early 90s). Bought and paid for PS CS3 and it does everything I need, until last week, when a window appeared when I launched PS and said "Temporary Activation" You have 4 days to re-activate this software." Apparently, Adobe is letting the servers that supported older versions die and activation becomes invalid.

They offer a solution, you type in your original product serial number and they issue you a new serial number which supposedly doesn't require activation. I followed every step at least three different times, uninstalling the old, restarting, downloading the new version, restarting, installing, restarting... everything.

The same message appears when I launch the new version and there is no valid option but to quit it. Any ideas? I REALLY don't want to subscribe to the Creative Cloud Photoshop as I already paid hundreds of dollars for the software when I purchased it. It should still work. But it doesn't. I run a photography business and this is sucking a LOT!

Activation.jpg

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,
Oct 24, 2017 Oct 24, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

CS3 is very old it was a very good release of Photoshop but most likely a new version of Photoshop Elements would be a better choice to us.  Adorner took down the CS3 Activation servers.  They made a new download available that does not require activation for their old users.  You need to enter your CS3 serial to be able to download it. Activation or connection error when starting CS3 or Acrobat 8

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 19, 2017 Nov 19, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you happen to find the solution to this problem?? Having the same issue and not getting anywhere

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 19, 2017 Nov 19, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you download the new CS3 installer?

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 29, 2017 Nov 29, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What's the new CS3 installer?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 29, 2017 Nov 29, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Read the link provided in JJMack's post earlier in this thread

Activation or connection error when starting CS3 or Acrobat 8

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 05, 2017 Dec 05, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think I must be missing something. I'm following your link and it mentions a new installer, but when I sign in, all I get is a link to get a new serial number which I've already done. This might be me not understanding some terminology.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 05, 2017 Dec 05, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Once you've successfully entered your old CS3 serial number via this screen:

you should see the screenshot below which includes new download links at the bottom in Section 3.

If that's not what you see, please post a screenshot of what you do see.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 12, 2017 Dec 12, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is all a lot of sh#t! it's a never ending loop of perpetuating Adobe persuasion to make you subscribe to the CC!!!! I spent hundreds of $$$$ buying this software only eight years ago. Yes this maybe an eternity in software world, however we had no inkling back then that this would be the case today....grrrr! Adobe should take more responsibility on this and issue an alternative.

Directing users to this forum IS NOT AN ALTERNATIVE ADOBE!!!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 12, 2017 Dec 12, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe should take more responsibility on this and issue an alternative.

An alternative for what?

I get that you are frustrated but this non-activation CS3 process IS the alternative for those who want to hang on to their ancient software and don't want the Cloud.

If Adobe did not provide this new non-activation serial number process which you can use forever then you would be left with nothing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 13, 2017 Dec 13, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If Adobe did not provide this new non-activation serial number process which you can use forever then you would be left with nothing.

Yes but it doesn't work. I have followed all of Adobe's instructions trying to get CS3 reinstalled and working again but it just keeps saying 'Activation - No Connection' on launch. Your point that people should do away with legacy applications and update is beside the point - Adobe are offering a process that doesn't work and is frustrating people like me who spent many hundreds £ on the software 7/8 years ago, expecting that we would have access to it for life. Not being fobbed off to unhelpful forums or being told on the phone that we need to purchase an expensive monthly package for the rest of our lives.

Really terrible way to treat people who have made this company extremely wealthy. Basically upgrade or p*$s off, is the attitude I have experienced from their staff today.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had the same problem installing CS3 on my new mac. I tried what adobe recommended but with no success and had the same problems that you are having. The way to get it working is to back up all your files and reformat the hard drive wiping off everything ( there is a hidden file somewhere that keeps the old serial number for the old version of CS3 which is causing the problem ).

Then after you reboot go back to Adobe and get the new serial number and download their “new” version of CS3 and instal it using the new serial number. It will work. When asked to register go to Never Register. It will then work. Then you will have to reinstall your old files and apps from the the back up. Boring but it worked for me. Good luck.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your response. I only use Photoshop these days - and I only use it to crop images for clients' websites. This all seems like a lot of hassle just to access a bit of software to do this simple task. So looks like I'll have to put up with Gimp until I can find a better solution. Thanks anyway, I might consider that on a rainy Sunday some time.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi James,

See if you have the cache.db file in the folder below.

'Program Files (x86)/Common Files/Adobe/Adobe PCD/cache/'

I can't remember if that is a hidden folder or not so you might need to turn on visibility for all files and folders.

If it is there delete cache.db. Try to start Photoshop and you should be prompted for the serial number at which point enter the new one. Click on Never Register.

Then Restart your computer. Hopefully that will work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 14, 2017 Dec 14, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you, Terri. I will definitely try this one later and let you know if it works.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 15, 2017 Dec 15, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Terri,

Thanks so much, this worked! I can now bin Gimp!

James

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Dec 15, 2017 Dec 15, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi James,

glad it worked-I was pretty certain it would as I've answered the question quite a few times now. Just a quick tip if you have a problem it's a good idea to start a new question in the forum and not bury your question away in an old thread like this one which started back in October

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 18, 2017 Dec 18, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok, First, thanks for all the tips here.  I've been doing everything I can to keep using my CS3.

Unfortunately, nothing has worked.

At no point have I come across something that asked me to enter the new serial number that was given on the web page.

I tried the cleaner (3rd time now) and have tried to re install CS3 per the link that was provided with no luck.  It gets about 5%ish into the install and locks up.  It's not the machine.  It more than meets the requirements for pretty much anything.

The "Support Chat" was.... less than expectations.

So, if there are any other suggestions out there, I'd sure appreciate them!

At this point, I'm really wondering how big Shantanu Narayen's yacht needs to be!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 27, 2017 Dec 27, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you so much to Terri! I had exactly the same problem of the infinite loop and the time-consuming and fruitless conversation with support. Deleting the cache file fixed it.

To heck with America, I'd vote for anyone who could Make Adobe Great Again!

-Brian

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the exact same loop problem! I've tried to find the file to delete as Terri suggests, but it's no longer there, because I've un-installed/re-installed/ downloaded the installer with the new serial number... like 3 times now. Still does not work. I will try to install original software from the $600+ disc again and see if cache file is there so I can delete it. Fingers crossed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Laura. I'm running Windows 10. I went through the uninstall / reboot / download / install / FAIL loop twice before looking in the folder Terri mentioned:

"C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Adobe\Adobe PCD\cache\"

The only file in that folder was cache.db, and it was not a hidden file. Quitting Photoshop, deleting cache.db and restarting Photoshop fixed the problem: Photoshop came up and asked for a licence number. I entered the new license number, clicked "Never Register" and it worked.

Hope you find a solution!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks. I’m also running Windows 10. I found the little cache file and deleted it. Got to the prompt screen where I enter a serial number, and it just brings back that re-activation fail error window again. I don’t get the “enter a license and never register” screen. I’m really close to just giving in and shelling out $20 a month for the cloud version. I’ve had cs3 for 8 years now.. worked great until they decided to pull the plug on it. Doesn’t seem fair. ☹ I’ll try a couple more times.. thanks.

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 28, 2017 Dec 28, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, I've got the same Problem as Laura: Win 10, found cache.db and deleted it. When starting PS I can enter the new serial # but there ist no "never register". I can only go on and straight to the error window which says "https://www.adobeereg.com" cannot be found.

Thanx for any ideas for fixing the problem 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Before you delete the cache file you need to have downloaded the NEW INSTALLER. Do not use an old installer or disks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

that's what I did: downloaded the new installer, followed the installation and ... error ...

any other idea?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines