Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Low quality glow... in 4k.

Community Beginner ,
Dec 11, 2017 Dec 11, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Cats.png

So I created this nice and simple artwork and to add glow from the moon I used huge white brush, but as you can see here:

screen.JPG

The glow is not smooth, I tried adding different kinds of blur but it's not working, is there a way to smooth the blur or maybe there is another way to add inner and outer glow to the moon without using "Layer Style"?

I am using Adobe CS6 and also worth noting that this picture is custom size and it's almost as big as 4k...

Thanks

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Dec 12, 2017 Dec 12, 2017

Hi

To avoid poor quality make sure you are working in 16 bit. Try adjusting the gradient rather than the layer opacity.

P.s. Whats the difference between fill and opacity btw?

Reducing Opacity affects everything on the layer including layer effects.

Reducing Fill makes the layer pixels transparent but any layer effects remain in place

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Silent Benedicts,

Did you try using Gaussian Blur after creating after creating a huge circle which covers the moon?

You can access it by going to Filter > Blur > Gaussian Blur.

Regards,

Sahil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 12, 2017 Dec 12, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes I have tried it, but no matter what radius I set either does nothing or lovers the opacity of it

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try using the ellipse shape tool holding down Shift and Alt to draw a perfect circle larger than the moon. Set the fill to a radial gradient going from white to white but fading opacity from  100% opacity to 0% opacity. Work in 16 bit to avoid banding.

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It looks nice and smooth when I create it, but as soon I lower the fill or opacity it starts to lose it's quality.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi

To avoid poor quality make sure you are working in 16 bit. Try adjusting the gradient rather than the layer opacity.

Reducing Opacity affects everything on the layer including layer effects.

Reducing Fill makes the layer pixels transparent but any layer effects remain in place

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines