Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

PDFs opening in Internet Explorer even with Adobe Plugin DISABLED

Community Beginner ,
Nov 28, 2017 Nov 28, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Adobe,

I have Adobe Acrobat Reader DC version 18.009.20044.55097, and I am using IE 11 version 11.674.15063.0.  I have properly disabled the Adobe PDF Reader plugin within Internet Explorer, and PDFs are STILL opening inside of the browser. 

This happens on Windows 7 AND Windows 10.

Any tips?

pdf1.PNG

pdf2.PNG

TOPICS
General troubleshooting

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Dec 01, 2017 Dec 01, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello ThoR294

Sorry for the delay in response to your query and apologize for the inconvenience caused. As per the description above the PDF file is still opening in IE after disabling the plug-in/extension, Is that correct?

Please refer and try the steps from the following KB doc Cannot stop PDF's opening in Internet Explorer (IE)

Hope this helps, and let us know how it goes.

Regards,

Anand Sri.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Anand,

We have already completed those steps, as you can see in the 2nd photo where the addin is disabled, and the option to enable/disable it is grayed out.  This is on a computer that is on a domain, where we have a GPO set to disable the addin.]

The only way we have been able to get it to work, is to delete the folder on the PC that contains the adobe PDF plugin for IE.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

also, forgot to answer, yes that is correct.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 12, 2017 Dec 12, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Bump.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jan 02, 2018 Jan 02, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Brandon,

Sorry for the delay in response to your query and apologize for the inconvenience caused. I am following up to check if the issue is resolved or not. If you still facing the issue after trying the above suggestions, will request you to contact the support team so that they can remote in if required and resolve the issue for you, contact support through Contact us | Adobe

Regards,

Anand Sri.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Anand,

No problem.  The issue is not resolved.  We are currently doing a workaround by renaming the activeX folder in C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Adobe\Acrobat ... This disables the plugin temporarily till adobe is updated, then we have to do it again.

I tried calling adobe support but they will not support adobe reader itself, they said to post here.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 26, 2019 Nov 26, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

HI ,

is it fixed now ?  we are using Adobe Acrobat Reader 18.9 and we disabled the Adobe plugin in IE 11 , still PDF files are opening in IE.

any permanent issue ?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 27, 2019 Nov 27, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Rename the plugin file, effectivly breaking the intagration when IE cant find the plugin. 

Disableing via GPO or manualy in the IE plugin interface dosnt work dispite what support here will say. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 27, 2019 Nov 27, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
It's funny, that's exactly what I did. I renamed the file to Activex.old
and now it can't use the plug in so it works. Would be great to not have
to figure out some kind of workaround...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Brandon,

I have sent you a private message, please check your email inbox . Meanwhile, please refer to the following KB doc Troubleshoot viewing PDF files on the web and check the PDF display preferences in Preferences>internet and deselect Display PDF in Web Browser.

Regards,

Anand Sri.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 22, 2019 Oct 22, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What would be really great is if instead of sending him a private message, you could post the solution publicly so that not every single person who has this issue has to go through this rigamarole.  This is beyond frustrating for me and my users.  I know this is way late, which actually makes me wonder why this issue hasn't been fixed ages ago.  I don't want to have to create another thread to get my own answer but if I have to that's what I'll do.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 22, 2019 Oct 22, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe only knows canned responses, everything else is kept in the shadows. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines