• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

5k imac vs iMac pro for PS

Community Beginner ,
Dec 12, 2017 Dec 12, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I’m looking for the best computer for photoshop. I normally have 20+ layers in photoshop, along with 5 or so raw files opened as smart objects, in order to do exposure blending in photoshop. I’ve been waiting a while for the new iMac pro, but their single core performance is lower than that of the 7700k iMac 5k. I’ll get 64gb of ram regardless of which system I get, and I don’t do video editing at all. So which one would be better for my uses?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

With an iMac you're paying for a substandard screen. The rest of the hardware should do splendidly.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What are you using now?

I work with TONS of large projects across multiple programs and am able to excel with an Intel  Core i7-3770 and 16GB of RAM.

I have no idea what I would do with 64GB of RAM, let alone the 32GB the iMac Pro will come with.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 16, 2017 Dec 16, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I currently used a 2016 Macbook Pro. The most limiting factor is of course the 16GB of ram. But a faster processor would be appreciated as well.

In terms of benchmark, the 7700k iMac and the 10 core Xeon iMac Pro are about the same in the single core benchmark, although the iMac Pro is faster by about 90% in multicore ones.

So what I really am curious to know is to what extent Photoshop can take advantage of the 6 extra cores of the iMac Pro? If it can only use 3-4 cores effectively, then the regular iMac seems to be the best choice.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Im drooling over that new iMac though

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The iMac's achilles heel has always been the display. They have always been mediocre, and not up to the same standard as the rest of the hardware - 5K or not. Color differences across the screen is common.

RAM is not as critical as it was. The new M.2 SSDs are so crazy fast that the scratch disk is no longer the bottleneck it once was. Just make sure it has enough capacity.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines