• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

After Effects 2017 - Black Screen on Playback

Community Beginner ,
Feb 06, 2017 Feb 06, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello - I'm new to After Effects, but have been using it without problems for the past few weeks. Yesterday I went into Preferences and Emptied the Disk Cache and Cleaned the Database and Cache in order to improve performance. After doing that, playback of video or comp became veiled in black, with no audio. If I scrubbed with the playhead, I could see the video but that was the only way I could see anything. - I uninstalled and reinstalled AE 2017 but that didn't fix the problem. I uninstalled AE 2017 again and installed 2015. So far, 2015 is working normally. - Prior to installing 2015, I also upgraded to OSX Sierra so I could update my graphics card driver. That didn't fix the problem with AE 2017, but everything is up-to-date.

I'm using both .mp4 files and .mov files. The same files that were working and visible before adjusting the Preferences settings would only playback under a black screen after adjusting the settings.

I would like to be able to use the most current version of AE. Any suggestions as to how I can fix the playback issue with 2017? - I've looked on these forums and elsewhere and found a few other people describing a similar problem with a 'black screen.' The suggested solution often seems to be to empty the cache and clean the database. So, in my case, it seems the solution to some people's problems has been the cause of my problem. ???

If it helps, here is my system info:

Model Name: iMac

Model Identifier: iMac14,2

Processor Name: Intel Core i5

Processor Speed: 3.2 GHz

Number of Processors: 1

Total Number of Cores: 4

L2 Cache (per Core): 256 KB

L3 Cache: 6 MB

Memory: 16 GB

NVIDIA GeForce GT 755M:

Chipset Model: NVIDIA GeForce GT 755M

Type: GPU

Bus: PCIe

PCIe Lane Width: x16

VRAM (Total): 1024 MB

Vendor: NVIDIA (0x10de)

Device ID: 0x0fea

Revision ID: 0x00a2

ROM Revision: 3782

Metal: Supported

Displays:

iMac:

Display Type: LCD

Resolution: 2560 x 1440

Pixel Depth: 32-Bit Color (ARGB8888)

Main Display: Yes

Mirror: Off

Online: Yes

Automatically Adjust Brightness: Yes

Built-In: Yes

TOPICS
Preview

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Mar 08, 2017 Mar 08, 2017

If you think it was related to your preference, try launching AE and trashing the prefs. You hold cmd+opt+shift while it's starting and it should give you an option to delete your preferences file. Uninstalling usually keeps your prefs around, so this will ensure they get trashed.

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,
Feb 07, 2017 Feb 07, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try installing CC 2017 alongside your current install of CC 2015.3 (or whatever version you have that's working). Try turning off (or on, if it's already off), the hardware accelerate panels option.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 12, 2017 Dec 12, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

don't work!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Mar 06, 2017 Mar 06, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi JessicaC,

Are you still getting a black screen when playing back? That sounds pretty awful. Have you tried an installation of the new software as Szalam suggested? Please let us know what happens when you try his suggestions.

Thanks,
Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry for not replying earlier. No, installing 2017 alongside 2015 didn't fix the issue. I also toggled hardware acceleration on and off. I'm still getting a black screen on preview.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No problem, Jessica. That is an annoying issue. How large is the frame size of your footage? Is it 4K? Which camera did it come from?

Thanks,
Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 08, 2017 Mar 08, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've tried with footage from various sources. I've used video taken with my cellphone (a Moto G4), video created from an Animate CC file converted to MP4 with Media Encoder, and other video I've downloaded. None of it is 4k and all of it worked prior to me mucking about with the Preference settings. - This first started with some files I was using as part of an After Effects class available through Bring Your Own Laptop. I was looking for help with cameras but got derailed by a section on speeding up a slow computer. I didn't see anyone else in the BYOL forums reporting any issues with black screens so I'm assuming the issue was something unique to me or my machine.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you think it was related to your preference, try launching AE and trashing the prefs. You hold cmd+opt+shift while it's starting and it should give you an option to delete your preferences file. Uninstalling usually keeps your prefs around, so this will ensure they get trashed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Success!! That worked! Thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Mar 09, 2017 Mar 09, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hooray!

Please come back to this thread on the forum real quick and hit the "Correct Answer" button on the right post (and feel free to mark any others as "Helpful" that were) to close out this thread and to help others with the same problem in the future to find the correct answer more quickly.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 29, 2018 Jan 29, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i installed ae off my school website and they only have cc 2015

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 09, 2018 Apr 09, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I HAVE THE ANSWER JESS!

When I had the same problem, All i did was got to my comp settings, change it from HD 1080p to 720p. That fixed it. Its got to do with your memory and resolution. If your file is too big to pre-render/preview in Full HD 1080p, then it will show black all the time. But lower the resolution settings, it will fix it.

It works. Hope this helps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 29, 2019 May 29, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same issue and seemingly no solutions anywhere online

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 12, 2019 Sep 12, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

eye symbol button must be turned on (play video in preview)  ! boom

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 30, 2020 Apr 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Omg thank you so much! I've been looking all morning for a solution and this simple one actually worked!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 17, 2020 Aug 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This literally saved my day. You are a wizard.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 14, 2020 Aug 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I simply had disabled 'play video in preview', click on the eye in the preview panel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 11, 2022 Aug 11, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

This totally was my problem. After freaking out with the black screen. I saw the eye was not selected in the preview tab. Problem solved! Thank you dearly.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 07, 2021 Jan 07, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I found this black playback happens when you're on a "Custom Camera". I selected it by accident by pressing escape and I didnt realize I did it. As I tinkered around I noticed the setting and reverted it to Active Camera and it all played back normally as it should. The resetting of settings didnt help or clearing the cache because it wasnt the issue for me in the first place. It was the camera issue causing it to go black. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 25, 2021 May 25, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How do you go about this? Where do I find the camera settings and switch it back to active camera?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines