Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Acrobat dc crashes when extracting pages from pdf

New Here ,
Dec 06, 2017 Dec 06, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

We are a hospital.  We have a volume license for acrobat dc.  When our users are extracting pages from a pdf, acrobat  dc crashes, just stops , and shuts down.

Windows 10,  acrobat dc 2015.006.30033.  I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling. I have tried repairing. I have tried updating.  Nothing seems to work to resolve this issue.

TOPICS
Edit and convert PDFs

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Dec 07, 2017 Dec 07, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello darinb76915593

We apologize for the inconvenience caused, as per the description above the Acrobat DC is crashing while extracting pages from a PDF file, Is that correct?

As you have mentioned that you have tried repairing, reinstallation but it's still crashing. Please open the file which is crashing and then select File>Save As from the File menu and save under a new file name.

It's important that you use the Save As option only because Acrobat will try to recreate the PDF file from scratch. Then try to extract the pages from the PDF file.

If the issue persists, please share the following details:

Hope this helps and let us know how it goes.

Regards,

Anand Sri.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 11, 2017 Dec 11, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I ran into this as well. If I exported to postscript and recreated the pdf, I could extract pages, but that process also seemed to remove all of the bookmarks (TOC). I did not try Save As. I will try that next time if this recurs.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 13, 2017 Dec 13, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just an update on my previous. I am still encountering this issue, and I did try deleting all tags. That works, and leaves the bookmarks in place, so it is preferable to exporting to postscript.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jan 02, 2018 Jan 02, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Barbara,

Sorry for the delay in response to your query and apologize for the inconvenience caused. I am following up to check is the issue is resolved by trying to export the PDF to postscript. Let us know about the status.

Regards,

Anand Sri.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Anand. The postscript solution does work, but the better answer is to delete all tags from the file before extracting the pages. It's a shorter solution and leaves the bookmarks in place. I believe there is something in our DITA transformation that puts a tag in the PDF that causes the crash. Removing the tags eliminates the issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 03, 2018 Jan 03, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How does one delete all the tags? I want to try that as it may solve another problem:

I have Acrobat DC (and Acrobat XI on a different computer). A file I am working on in DC will not let me replace pages and I get a message to the effect that "an incorrect structure was found in the PDF file" (can insert and then delete, but this upsets the whole internal page numbering).

However, using the same file with XI does allow me to replace pages without the error mentioned above.

I have tried saving the file (with "Save As") under a new file name under DC, but the same error occurs.

I also tried "re-tagging" the file, but DC crashes about a third of the way through (it is a large file).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm in Acrobat DC, so this is for that version. I don't have access to XI, so I can't verify in that version.

Open the PDF file.

In the left (navigation) pane, there are 4 icons for thumbnails, bookmarks, attachments and tags. You can also right-click to show all the navigation options.

Click the tag icon (looks like a luggage tag). The tags are displayed where the bookmarks are usually shown.

Select the top level (Tags).

Right click and select Delete Tag. This deletes all of the tags from the top level down.

I am just using extract pages for reviews, and I don't know if deleting the tags has any effect on navigation or search. I am not sure if it would be a suitable solution for production pdfs.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks - yes, deleting all the tags does appear to correct the problem; I can now replace pages (which create a new tag - which I will be sure to delete).

Just an "academic question" I suppose, but I do wonder why this is not an issue in Acrobat XI . . ..

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Great! Good to hear that the issue got fixed, and thank you so much for sharing the workaround which is going to help others. And great job troubleshooting  that and finding a solution.

Give us a shout if you need any assistance with Acrobat/Reader/Document Cloud Services in future.

Regards,

Anand Sri.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines