• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Photoshop CS6 keeps crashing! Display Driver / Windows 10

Community Beginner ,
Sep 19, 2017 Sep 19, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Upon first starting up Photoshop CS6, I get the error message that reads the following:

"Photoshop has encountered a problem with the display driver, and has temporarily disabled enhancements which use the graphics hardware..."

The window offers a link to this page. My display driver is an AMD Radeon HD 6700M Series which the webpage claims has been tested and supports Photoshop. I checked for display driver updates but the Photoshop error message still appears and upon trying to do anything in Photoshop it immediately crashes.

The only thing that seems to work is disabling the display driver entirely, so I'm pretty sure the driver is the issue here. I had the Motherboard and the display driver replaced two months ago and about a week later I had the optical drive replaced too, but the Photoshop problem didn't arise until just yesterday.

Computer info:

OS Name: Microsoft Windows 10 Home

Version: 10.0.15063

System Model: HP ENVY 17 Notebook PC

System Type: x64-based PC

Processor: Intel Core i7-2670QM CPU @ 2.20 GHz, Mhz, 4 Cores, 8 Logical Processors

RAM: 8.00 GB

Display Driver: AMD Radeon HD 6700M Series
Adapter RAM: 1.00 GB

Driver version: 15.200.1062.1004

Bits/pixel: 32

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Beginner , Dec 13, 2017 Dec 13, 2017

Hey all,

So oddly enough, the problem seemed to resolve itself without my doing anything. I hadn't even installed a Windows or Adobe update. As happy as I am, I'm also dissatisfied that I wasn't able to find out exactly what was causing the problem in the first place.

I'll mark this post as answered, but if the issue comes up again I'll un-mark it as answered.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,
Sep 19, 2017 Sep 19, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Be sure CS6 is updated:  Help > Updates  13.0.1.3 is the latest for Windows.

Next check for display drivers from the GPU makers website.

Windows OS

1. Click Start.

2. On the Start menu, click Run.

3. In the Open box, type "dxdiag" (without the quotation marks), and then click OK.

4. The DirectX Diagnostic Tool opens. Click the Display tab.

5. On the Display tab, information about your graphics card is shown in the Device section. You can see the name of your card, as well as how much video memory it has.

Once you know the kind of graphics card you have, visit the manufacturer's website to download the latest driver. Here are links for downloading drivers from the most common graphics card manufacturers:

* NVIDIA: http://www.nvidia.com/content/drivers/drivers.asp

* AMD: http://support.amd.com/en-us/download

* Intel: http://support.intel.com/support/graphics/

Secondly make sure your Graphics control panel has the high performance AMD card assigned to Photoshop if your system also has onboard Intel graphics.

How to Configure Laptop Switchable Graphics | Community

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 06, 2017 Oct 06, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So I took my computer to the repair shop and they were able to fix the problem--temporarily--by updating the display driver and altering Photoshop's preferences. However, just a few days ago I downloaded a Windows update and the problem has started again.

I checked online and installed the latest update for my display driver. AMD only offers a legacy support module for my model. Also, the settings for the display driver do not offer switchable graphics.

I had someone else look at my computer's specs and he said that my computer is simply out of date, both in terms of the display driver model (which I noted was released in 2011) and the amount of RAM my computer has. He also said that an integrated graphics card could be the issue. Is it possible that I just need a new computer?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

kierah52296267  wrote

I had someone else look at my computer's specs and he said that my computer is simply out of date

That's what people say when they don't know, but want to give the impression they do... While those specs aren't exactly high-end, they're perfectly adequate and should be able to run Photoshop just fine.

There is probably an integrated Intel adapter in there somewhere. A lot of laptops do it this way nowadays, to save power, and it causes Photoshop problems no end. There must be a way to disable it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is probably an integrated Intel adapter in there somewhere. A lot of laptops do it this way nowadays, to save power, and it causes Photoshop problems no end. There must be a way to disable it.

I have an AMD Radeon HD 6700M Series display driver. I mentioned in my initial post that disabling the display driver resolves the issue. I've also tried resetting the Photoshop preferences but that didn't do anything.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 11, 2017 Oct 11, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So I'm still having the issue but I'd like to share what I've tried so far. I'm going by what this page on the Adobe website is suggesting.

-Updated Photoshop CS6

-Updated Windows

-Updated the display driver

-Recreated Adobe application preferences

-Ran Photoshop in simplified mode (disabled all non-Microsoft startup applications)

-Uninstalled and reinstalled Photoshop CS6

-Checked AMD Radeon settings for switchable graphics (option not available)

-Disabled display driver, opened Photoshop and went to Edit>Preferences>Performance to check Graphics Processor settings. Message shows reading "Photoshop detected an error in your display driver. Update or reinstall the driver and check Use Graphics Processor to retry."

At this point I'm not sure what else to do. I could try overclocking my gpu but I'm not sure that would solve the problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 11, 2017 Oct 11, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

See what the AMD Community recommends: Drivers & Software | Community

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 25, 2017 Oct 25, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@kierah52296267, I have the same problem too and ive been searching for a while now and no one has a solution for it. Do me a favor and go to help tab and then go to system info and tell me if it says this(the red underline). Cause Im pretty sure this is your problem too but no one has a solution yet. this is preventing me to work on any project with some type of transparency so photoshop isnt very useful at the moment.capture (2).PNG

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 22, 2017 Nov 22, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I've been battling the same issue for the past few weeks, seemed to present itself suddenly.

The solution for me was to disable my on-board graphics driver (intel) and use ONLY the AMD one.

Working well so far.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 13, 2017 Dec 13, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The solution for me was to disable my on-board graphics driver (intel) and use ONLY the AMD one.

I only have one built-in display driver and disabling it solved the problem, but obviously I would prefer Photoshop to work with the display driver on.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 13, 2017 Dec 13, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hey all,

So oddly enough, the problem seemed to resolve itself without my doing anything. I hadn't even installed a Windows or Adobe update. As happy as I am, I'm also dissatisfied that I wasn't able to find out exactly what was causing the problem in the first place.

I'll mark this post as answered, but if the issue comes up again I'll un-mark it as answered.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines