• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Mysql Select Problem

Dec 19, 2008 Dec 19, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Good day all.

Im having problems with selecting information from a mysql database.

This is what i want to do.

I have a table with a bunch of products and prices in them.

This is the query i use to access the info which works perfectly

"
SELECT CONCAT(groupno,"-",subcode) AS 'Key', CONCAT(groupno, " - ",subcode," - ",headertext," - ",description," -R",price) as 'VALUE'
FROM subgroups
WHERE

TOPICS
Advanced techniques

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Valorous Hero , Dec 22, 2008 Dec 22, 2008
ShapeShift wrote:
> but the VALUE field does not display if thwere are no records in my inventory table.

Yes. If there are no inventory records the "totalstock" value will be null. So when you try and concatenate it with the other columns the final string also becomes null. Try using the COALESCE function to return "0" instead. (Convert the column value to a varchar first if needed).

CONCAT(
COALESCE(totalstock, 0),
) as 'VALUE'

http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.0/en/comparison-operators.html#function_coalesce...

Votes

Translate

Translate
Valorous Hero ,
Dec 20, 2008 Dec 20, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Dec 21, 2008 Dec 21, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ive decided to post on this topic as it was the most complete one. Thanks on the tetorial site. It explained joins better than the mysql reference manual. so now i have a working query. but still with one problem.

I can now get all the descriptions etc and stock. but the VALUE field does not display if thwere are no records in my inventory table. EG if count (totalstock) is 0. the value does nt display is there anyway that if count is NULL. it makes it display 0 or something like that.

Here is my query
Thats all for your help:

SELECT CONCAT(subgroups.groupno,"-",subgroups.subcode) AS 'Key', CONCAT(subgroups.groupno, " - ",subgroups.subcode," : STOCK ",totalstock,"-",subgroups.headertext," - ",subgroups.description," -R",subgroups.price) as 'VALUE'
FROM subgroups
LEFT JOIN ( SELECT inventory.refid,inventory.subcode,
COUNT(inventory.refid) as totalstock
FROM inventory
WHERE sold = 'No'
GROUP BY inventory.subcode ASC
)
inventory ON subgroups.subcode = inventory.subcode
WHERE subgroups.groupno = 'CPU'

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Valorous Hero ,
Dec 22, 2008 Dec 22, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ShapeShift wrote:
> but the VALUE field does not display if thwere are no records in my inventory table.

Yes. If there are no inventory records the "totalstock" value will be null. So when you try and concatenate it with the other columns the final string also becomes null. Try using the COALESCE function to return "0" instead. (Convert the column value to a varchar first if needed).

CONCAT(
COALESCE(totalstock, 0),
) as 'VALUE'

http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.0/en/comparison-operators.html#function_coalesce

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Dec 22, 2008 Dec 22, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks so much you are a genius. and have saved me alot of time and headaches.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 23, 2008 Dec 23, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
Thanks a lot Jay! This thread is solved and should be closed by moderators.

Tiffany Bracelet
Tiffany Earring
Tiffany Ring

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Documentation