• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Problems activating photoshop CS3 [CS3 is dead]

Community Beginner ,
Dec 14, 2017 Dec 14, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, I used photoshop 10 several years ago then upgraded to CS2 and CS3 paying for the upgrades etc. Now every time I launch photoshop I get a message

saying I have to reactivate photoshop and get a new serial number. I got the new serial number and downloaded the new software but i'm still getting the reactivation message. Also, the software available to me is for photoshop 10 so I can't open RAW files as this version of photoshop didn't have this function. And yet I got the serial number of the CS3 upgrade dvd case. I've been on adobe chat about four times but no one seems to be able to help. They're come to the conclusion that I need to pay now for a more recent version of photoshop. Very frustrating! Can anyone help? I have work ready to process but can't get on with it!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jan 11, 2020 Jan 11, 2020

It's 2020 and CS3 and earlier are officially dead now.  The activation servers are gone.  Adobe ended the replacement program by removing links to activation-free installers and serial numbers.  It is no longer possible to re-install CS3.  Customer Care Agents cannot help you.

CS 4 - 6 are on life support.  Going forward, if you want Adobe product support, you really need modern software or a paid Creative Cloud Plan.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That link does not help for Finland, Norway and Sweden; since the files provided for download for those countries are (unlike for the rest of Europe's counties) for CS4 not CS3.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What I think that means is that you will get a free CS4 instead of CS3.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I hoped for that as well, but the new serial number allotted did not fit CS4.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That would not be your original CS4, but the CS4 installer provided with the new serial numbers in the download list under your language.

In some cases it's part of a suite. Was your old CS3 a suite? Japanese is another example where a CS4 installer was added.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 15, 2017 Dec 15, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My CS3 was not part of a suit, what I can remember. Purchased together with Acrobat, both as single licenses directly from Adobe Sweden.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

?? photoshop 10.0 was CS3.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for clarification. Sorry I meant I bought photoshop 7 then upgraded to CS2 and CS3

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I understand your problem but in 2017, your last problem is activating a Cs3 version on Photoshop. I do not wan to sound rude but the CC2018 is out and your version is pretty old. You should upgrade. It's less than 10 euros per month.

Cheers,
Martin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

that's a good price. Do I sign up via the Adobe website?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

daniels,

Do you have the new non activation version of photoshop cs3 installed or photoshop elements 10?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

new version of CS3. Someone explained that Photoshop 10 was in fact CS3 which I didn't realise.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As you know the activation server for CS3 has now been shut down. First you must get the new installer that doesn't require activation and the new serial number. Then do the following:

See if you have the cache.db file in the folder below.

'Program Files (x86)/Common Files/Adobe/Adobe PCD/cache/'

I can't remember if that is a hidden folder or not so you might need to turn on visibility for all files and folders.

If it is there delete cache.db. Try to start Photoshop and you should be prompted for the serial number at which point enter the new one. Click on Never Register.

Then Restart your computer. Hopefully that will work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

thank you will give it a try

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank You so much!  Hopefully this will prevent further issues! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 12, 2018 Feb 12, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

WOW due you are a life saver! I got my old cs3 version to work with the 'new' activation code i got from adobe! What a pain. I hate to think i would just be out of the money i paid for the program i bought in 2007. THANK you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Feb 13, 2018 Feb 13, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Glad to have saved you some money, every penny counts these days

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 13, 2018 Feb 13, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't know how you figured that one out but it did work. I hope it stays that way for another 10 years. Thanks Terri.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm still having the same problem. I got an email from Adobe asking me to remove a load of files on my pc. Below is the list:

(although I can download photoshop 10 off the adobe website, Photoshop won't load on my pc and I'm wondering if it's because I've deleted something in the list below)

Anyone help?

C drive> Program files> Adobe
C drive> Program files> common file >Adobe
C drive> Program files X86> Adobe
C drive> Program files X86> Common files> Adobe
C drive> Program data > Adobe

Go to run command and type 'appdata'.
Then from all the three folders delete the Adobe folders.

Local > Adobe
Locallow > Adobe
Roaming > Adobe

Then go back to Run command and type "regedit"
It will bring up the registory editor.

From there delete the registry keys for Photoshop 10.
Hkey current user > software> adobe > Photoshop and CS3 Bridge.
Hkey Local machine > Software > Adobe > Photoshop 10 and Bridge CS3

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you reinstall PS after deleting the folders?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

yes

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 18, 2017 Dec 18, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I got the same proposal from Adobe, not a en e-mail but as the transcript of a chat with Adobe support. Have not yet dared to do what was proposed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 19, 2017 Dec 19, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have now dared to clean all Adobe matters as per mail/chat transcript above. Restarted the PC. Downloaded and installed CS4 (for Sweden) but still the new serial number, that should be used for the new apps, proves invalid (error message when registering the installed Photoshop program.

I believe Adobe has a mismatch in serial numbers for Sweden.

Why do Adobe provide CS4 for Sweden and two other nordic countries but not for the rest of Europe?

Is that a misdirected trying to compensate some customers?

Well I'm not compensated but frustrated and would be glad to get my old CS3 Photoshop and Acrobat 8 back, or even the english language version of them. I have tried the english CS3 version with my new serial numer, but that gave an error message as well.

Please anyone help. Adobe support stops their help (4 times now) with a link to the page where the new serial number can be obtained and the CS4 for sweden can be downloaded.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you absolutely sure that the email was from Adobe?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines