• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Anyone still using FX8350 for their video editing?

Explorer ,
Dec 13, 2017 Dec 13, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I know that Ryzen is the way to go for a more modern cpu, but is anyone still rocking an fx8350 or higher fx series in their computer? 

If so would an upgrade from the GTX 970 to the 1070 really make that much of a difference when rendering given the 1070 has more cuda cores?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Dec 14, 2017 Dec 14, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am not using that but if you look at my Premiere Pro BenchMark (PPBM) you can see that among the test results suibmitted to me that it ranks second to last in CPU performance

Are you using GPU accelerated features and effects?   Only then will a newer GPU help you, but it will not make up for a weak CPU.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Dec 15, 2017 Dec 15, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

According to that list of CPUs Bill listed in the PPBM8 site, even the massively power-hungry FX 9590 (the highest that any AM3+ CPU ever went) is as slow as or slower than a recent, quad-core, non-hyperthreadable Intel Skylake or Kaby Lake i5 CPU in the software-only MPEG2 DVD encoding test. As such, AM3+ is at a complete dead end, and any meaningful hardware upgrades to that CPU platform will become almost totally wasted.

And because that FX 8350 is so weak, even your current GTX 970 is a bit overkill for your system. However, since there are currently no viable newer-generation GPUs that are slightly slower than either the GTX 970 or 1060 without a significant downgrade in performance, I would suggest that you stay put until you earned enough money to purchase an entire new system build instead of wasting a single penny on that weakling platform for a component upgrade that might not deliver a worthwhile enough performance increase to justify the added monetary cost.

Randall

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines