• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Photo shows up in Lightroom library but is not on my hard drive

Community Beginner ,
Dec 14, 2017 Dec 14, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think I made a error while ioading photos from my camera into Lightroom. The photos show up in a greyed out folder in Navigator which has the name of the camera. The photos never went into a file with the date like all my other downloads have. I can see the photos but it is not possible to do anything in the Develop menu. I get the message that the file can not be found. I searched through my mac hard drive in pictures and this folder isn't there. I was just hoping that it might still be somewhere. I used locate and searched under the file name and nothing shows up. I think I need a miracle but I thought I would ask anyway.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Dec 14, 2017 Dec 14, 2017

It sounds as though you've possibly used the camera card as the DESTINATION folder during the import (which still occasionally happens), so as soon as the camera/card is removed from the computer the folder/files are naturally now "missing", i.e. LR can no longer access them.

Do you still have the images on the memory card? If so, I suggest you remove the "missing" folder from within Lightroom (right-click and select "Remove"), then re-import but this time make sure the correct Destination folde

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It sounds as though you've possibly used the camera card as the DESTINATION folder during the import (which still occasionally happens), so as soon as the camera/card is removed from the computer the folder/files are naturally now "missing", i.e. LR can no longer access them.

Do you still have the images on the memory card? If so, I suggest you remove the "missing" folder from within Lightroom (right-click and select "Remove"), then re-import but this time make sure the correct Destination folder is selected in the Destination panel of the Import dialog.

If you haven't still got the images on the memory card, did you use the "Make Second Copy" option in the Import dialog when you imported them the first time?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've already deleted the images from the memory card and I didn't make a second copy. I thought that there might be an outside chance  the images were there because they can be viewed in the greyed out folder.  I thought the files had all been loaded to the computer when I disconnected the camera but I did get a message that the camera had been improperly removed so I think it hadn't finished. I tried to load the images a second time and the only images that were loaded were ones I had not selected from the first attempt so Lightroom must have thought the images were already loaded. Unfortunately I didn't check this until after I deleted the images from the card.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sadly there isn't much that can be done about this. If the card hasn't actually been reused, there's a good chance that a file recovery utility could recover some of the images from the card.

The images you see in Lightroom are only the previews that are created during the import, the quality of which very much depends on what you specified in the Import dialog. I think Adobe has a utility that could be used to create jpegs from the previews, but again the quality might not be high.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

https://forums.adobe.com/people/Jim+Wilde  wrote

think Adobe has a utility that could be used to create jpegs from the previews, but again the quality might not be high.

Yep, I'd actually suggest Jeffrey's one, as it's easier to use. I wrote up instructions here: https://www.lightroomqueen.com/articles-page/accidentally-deleted-photos-hard-drive-dont-backups-can...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Dec 15, 2017 Dec 15, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As Jim said, if you haven't used the card since this happened a file recovery utility will very likely get your pictures back.

Here is a link to a free utility that may help:

RecoveRx - Support & Download

Keep us posted...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 15, 2017 Dec 15, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

The photos are gone but at least I learned something about a way to recover from the card in case of future errors and an understanding of the Lightroom preview image. Thanks to everyone for your help!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines